NCAA DIVISION I (FCS) PLAYOFFS FIRST ROUND: #22 SFA vs. #18 UIW

17,677 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perfect throw, just a very tough catch.
nacluth
Do we have a designed bootleg?
nacluth
Season over.
MasterAxe
When it mattered most, we shat ourselves.

Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
SFASawmillGuy
The future is so bright though. Next year we will be one of the best teams in the FCS, no doubt about it. Self and Gipson know they have unfinished business.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

The future is so bright though. Next year we will be one of the best teams in the FCS, no doubt about it. Self and Gipson know they have unfinished business.

Now is not the time to be positive.

Let's us sulk for a minute
RedRiverLa
Play for your field goal at the end. What a waste to not give him a chance with a bad decision from a smart QB. Dang it!
sfajack05
Blew that game
nacluth
MasterAxe said:

Now is not the time to be positive.

Let's us sulk for a minute
Hey, we're still good.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Do we have a designed bootleg?

We need one.
AxeEm99
As they say every year "NEXT YEAR IS OUR YEAR!" Good to Great, but STILL not there yet!
TallTexan
Sucks to lose that way.

But it sucked a lot of wind out of the Defense when they got the stop and it was overturned by a penalty nobody saw.

Still, that team battled all day.
SFASawmillGuy
I guess we can take our revenge on UIW next year in conference play.
RichieVan
We definitely did shoot ourselves with mistakes. I'm still trying to find the phantom hold on the strip sack that would have sealed the game. Two defensive holdings kept their drive going, meanwhile, with all the pressure our D Line was putting on their QB, not one offensive holding late in the game. I've watched a ton of football in my time, and when the QB is forced to move that much, there's no way there is not extra grabbing.
Ljacks&Longnecks
You're a real joy 99. Guess the old administration cost us today
AxeEm99
As you can CLEARLY see, we are still recovering from that nonsense over multiple years.... Its very good that you recognize it and bring it up again!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

I'm a "glass half full" guy, so I'm siding with 03 rather than the Grinch Axe on this debate. We have 15 All-Conference players coming back next year. Fifteen! We should be one of the four top seeds in next year's playoffs. The road through the playoffs will run through us next year!
MasterAxe
I'd love to be part of the "good game/good effort" crowd, but I just can't.

We took a 12 gauge to both our feet just too many times.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA_03 said:

I'm a "glass half full" guy, so I'm siding with 03 rather than the Grinch Axe on this debate. We have 15 All-Conference players coming back next year. Fifteen! We should be one of the four top seeds in next year's playoffs. The road through the playoffs will run through us next year!

I can believe both.

We're gonna be good and we also shat ourselves when it mattered most.
nacluth
I'll side with MasterAxe on this one. I always hate the next year is going to be great logic. We start at 0-0 next year like everyone else.

I don't see a reason Gipson stays. I hope he does, but just like last offseason, the number one recruiting job is getting him back. We had a good team this season, and we should have won this game.
millenniumkat
Sfa played much better defense then i expected. But as expected, Self cost yall this one.

I know hes your guy, but hes a whiner, not a leader. He pouts more than a pissed off middle schooler. He needs to grow up and realize that the team feeds off of YOU. If your up, they are up. if you are down, they are down. Hes not ready for the big time.

If yall have more of a leader, star him and give Self's scholly to someone with a backbone
MasterAxe
millenniumkat said:

Sfa played much better defense then i expected. But as expected, Self cost yall this one.

I know hes your guy, but hes a whiner, not a leader. He pouts more than a pissed off middle schooler. He needs to grow up and realize that the team feeds off of YOU. If your up, they are up. if you are down, they are down. Hes not ready for the big time.

If yall have more of a leader, star him and give Self's scholly to someone with a backbone

Go away.
AxeEm99
I am thanking GOD in advance that maybe we only have another year of your nonsense on OUR forum!! Good luck going forward in the playoffs!
millenniumkat
What? What did i say? Why cant yall handle any kind of constructive, honest criticism?
SFA Jack Fanatic
millenniumkat said:

Thank you for your brilliant analysis and opinion. Now go away. For good. We don't give a great big damn what you think about our team or our individual players, just like you wouldn't give a damn what we say about Prison Tech.
AxeEm99
One more year.... As the son of a 35 Year SH Prof, now you can clearly see why I graduated from SFA instead of SH!! People like MilleniumKat are a prime example....
millenniumkat
AxeEm99 said:

One more year....

Im an FCS fan, i wont be going anywhere.

You guys just have hard hearts and thats really sad.

But fwiw, i was really pulling for you guys…which is why Self pissed me off. But farewell until next season!
PurpleOut
Staff
millenniumkat said:

He didn't play great today. But what?
MileHiJack
This team is something to be excited about and has the potential to be something special! IWU was better than I anticipated...so watch out Prison Tech! However, good to great starts with the coaches. There is no doubt that Coach Carthel has upgraded this team on recruiting and confidence! However, being undefeated by four plays this season is the difference and something that everyone has to improve on to finish with a win That's on the coaches and the team executing it. To be great, we need to learn how win the close ones and finish it off. We are good and better but not great yet! Let's take young talent we have and let greatness flourish!
PurpleOut
Staff
So many things to say. UIW isn't bad but they didn't do much that impressed me. The majority of their best plays were our penalties.

The decision making again leaves me with more questions and head scratching. Too many times this season we've been confused on why we did or didn't do something. And tonight was no different.

There were so many options when we got across the 50 at the end of regulation…and we decided on the worst one(s). You HAVE to let Campos have a chance.

And yeah, still would like to see some more replays and explanations on the holding calls. I didn't even see flags on the field for the fumble recovery. And then I need a rule explanation on the second one. UIW declined the penalty and took the 1st down…and then they got the yards marked off anyway. Was told nobody in the press box knew what happened.
MasterAxe
The hard part about the "yeah, but next year" is all the assumptions that are made.

That all players return.
That all coaches return.
That players/coaches that return play better.
That you get the same breaks.
That you stay healthy.

You get the point.

None of these things are guaranteed and anyone of them can derail a season almost immediately.

We had such a great chance now, it's sucks to have it end they way it did.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

millenniumkat said:

He didn't play great today. But what?

By far the dumbest take I've ever heard on here.

Self put this team on his back time and again this season.

Was a bad day to have a bad game but I'll continue to ride with Self.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

The hard part about the "yeah, but next year" is all the assumptions that are made.

That all players return.
That all coaches return.
That you stay healthy.

You get the point.

None of these things are guaranteed and anyone of them can derail a season almost immediately.

Normally I hate the "next year" crowd too, but that's because usually we don't have a lot to actually look forward to. We do this time. Yes none of it is promised. Look at UCA. They should have been national title contenders this year but it didn't happen. But our chances next season are so much better than ours were before this season started, so To me, there's a lot to be excited about.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'll side with MasterAxe on this one. I always hate the next year is going to be great logic. We start at 0-0 next year like everyone else.

I don't see a reason Gipson stays. I hope he does, but just like last offseason, the number one recruiting job is getting him back. We had a good team this season, and we should have won this game.

Gipson is special. I won't deny that. He'll play on Sundays for sure. But we have a great WR corp. We need somewhat improved line play. We need a healthy RB group. Get those and this team is even better.

Gipson would certainly be the cherry on top. But this is a playoff team even if he takes a different path.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

MasterAxe said:

That all players return.
That all coaches return.
That you stay healthy.

You get the point.

Normally I hate the "next year" crowd too, but that's because usually we don't have a lot to actually look forward to. We do this time. Yes none of it is promised. Look at UCA. They should have been national title contenders this year but it didn't happen. But our chances next season are so much better than ours were before this season started, so To me, there's a lot to be excited about.

We have a coach who took us from 2 wins to 8 wins and the playoffs in 3 years.

Next year could have a catastrophic injury. We could have attrition at key positions.

But Carthel has rebuilt this team from top to bottom and that's reason enough to be optimistic about the future.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.