NCAA DIVISION I (FCS) PLAYOFFS FIRST ROUND: #22 SFA vs. #18 UIW

17,683 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KATatonic said:

SFAXE93 said:

There might be more SFA fans there than UIW fans.
There will be more SFA fans there. Good luck to you guys. Hope you come out of it healthy, but really, really tired and confused...
Hey we're going to play football while yall stuff your faces with turkey. If anyone is gonna be really tired and in a stupor, its you guys.
KATatonic
TallTexan said:

KATatonic said:

SFAXE93 said:

There might be more SFA fans there than UIW fans.
There will be more SFA fans there. Good luck to you guys. Hope you come out of it healthy, but really, really tired and confused...
Hey we're going to play football while yall stuff your faces with turkey. If anyone is gonna be really tired and in a stupor, its you guys.
Tryptophan is the enemy.
SFASawmillGuy
Let's talk about this weeks game though, because it will not be easy. It will easily be the strongest team outside of Sam we've played all year, and they have the chip on their shoulder of hearing all of us talk crap about how they don't belong in the WAC. They're gonna come out angry and with swagger.
I don't think this game will ever feel comfortable.
jboy93
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

I see the athletic dept is sending out emails regarding the playoff game, but what else are we doing to get fans out?

Alumni association doing any outreach? Any local radio or tv interviews with Carthel?

There's a very real chance to have a decent amount of a homefield crowd if we can get 500+ Jacks from San Antonio/Austin to show up.
KTRE was with the team at the watch show, and interviewed Carthel and Self. Caleb does a solid job of covering SFA.

John Krueger with the Daily Sentinel has been all over it. His stories have run in the Lufkin paper also.
Awesome.

We might also want to roll some out in Austin/SA area too though. Chad Hasting's on Austin sports radio is married to a Lumberjack. I also wouldn't be surprised if SFA's Comm program doesn't have some Grads working in that area too.

Small sidenote, anyone hear listen to The Team out of Tyler? I'm not a big sports talk guy, but I check in every now and again to see if they're covering SFA, but haven't heard us mentioned all season. Just wandering if a regular listener had caught it?

Listen all the time. They do more with basketball but maybe will do more now that we are back in playoffs.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Let's talk about this weeks game though, because it will not be easy. It will easily be the strongest team outside of Sam we've played all year, and they have the chip on their shoulder of hearing all of us talk crap about how they don't belong in the WAC. They're gonna come out angry and with swagger.
I don't think this game will ever feel comfortable.
Think there will be two keys to the game.Ball control and defensive line play.

Don't have fast possessions. Ball control, wear down the defense, especially their Dline early. The more that the UIW offense is on the sidelines, the better.

On the Defensive side, every stop counts. Get the Dline to Ward early and often.
nacluth
Yep. Our Achilles heel has been time of possession. We have a great defense, but they are better when they don't have to play 40 minutes.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Yep. Our Achilles heel has been time of possession. We have a great defense, but they are better when they don't have to play 40 minutes.
Yep. Gonna need to aim for atleast 35-25. I don't think we'll hit 42 to 18 like we did against UCA.

But if we have a 10 minute differential, that's the difference in probably a TD vs a 30/30 game.

And for goodness sake, we better play our cleanest game of the season. Can't extend possessions for them.
sfajack05
I work out of the coverage area now so I can't listen to it on the way home anymore. Otherwise I would call in and talk some Jack football.
SFAJack_76
Important information here for anyone going. Clear bag, face mask required inside the stadium, $10 parking. Etc.

https://uiwcardinals.com/sports/2021/11/21/fan-information-for-ncaa-playoff-game.aspx?path=football
TallTexan
Does it sound like we'll have a decent size Lumberjack contingent there?

I wish we could make it but we're double booked.
SFASawmillGuy
I doubt there's more than 1500 people in total in the stadium due to thanksgiving, but I hope I'm wrong. With UIW buying $15000 worth of tickets doe the students maybe they'll actually have a decent crowd. Then again, I'm sure most of the students are unaware they have a football team.
Ljacks&Longnecks
You have to figure that most of the students have gone home for the weekend as have many families. Considering their average attendance and the holiday factor I expect a smallish crowd. Hopefully enough SFA folks will show to help the cause. I'm ready to go now.
Jacks4460
76 where am I missing the face masks required in stadium?
Jacks4460
Jacks4460 said:

76 where am I missing the face masks required in stadium?

Never mind I saw it.. see you there!!
SFAJack_76
Current weather forecast is 54 degrees and rain, with light wind. Two teams that rely heavily on the pass. Advantage/disadvantage to either?
SFAXE93
Advantage SFA's OL with REED as the work horse, eating time off the clock.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA relied heavily on the passing game when we didn't have a running game. Now we're a lot more balanced on offense, so I think we have the advantage. On top of that, we run a lot of bubble screens which are basically run plays, so that helps us out a little too.
I think our defense is aggressive enough and delivers enough hard hits we will knock the ball loose a couple of times.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Haven't sat in rain at a game in years. Going through the closet to see what are my weather gear selections.
Not missing it.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Haven't sat in rain at a game in years. Going through the closet to see what are my weather gear selections.
Not missing it.
Me neither, but it's what we do.
SFASawmillGuy
Can anyone find the betting line for the game? I can't seem to find it.
millenniumkat
Uiw -2.5
SFA Jack Fanatic
The rain will be a factor. Just not sure how much and to who. They throw a lot more than we do, so here's hoping it'll be a slippery slope for them.
MasterAxe
Weather update from here in SA at 9:00 AM.

Cold. Rainy. Not terribly windy.

Thanks for tuning in.

millenniumkat
How did UIW outbid SFA btw? How is that possible?
TallTexan
millenniumkat said:

I'm betting SFA didn't put in much more than minimum from it being the weekend after Thanksgiving.

A crowd of 4-5k in Nac feels miniscule and not many students around.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Looks like the rain is about over in SA.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Big UIL Class 6A playoff game in the Alamodome at 4:00 pm. 12-0 Spring Westfield vs. 10-2 DeSoto. I'm guessing the attendance there will be at least double that of our game.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

millenniumkat said:

I'm betting SFA didn't put in much more than minimum from it being the weekend after Thanksgiving.

A crowd of 4-5k in Nac feels miniscule and not many students around.

As surprising as it may sound, private schools have very, very wealthy alumni as well. I'm sure they had some donors pitch in.
SFASawmillGuy
They get the ball out fast. We need to keep putting Ward on the ground though.
SFASawmillGuy
If that was SFA it would've been targeting as well as an aggravated assault charge
SFASawmillGuy
This wet football is gonna make for a long game if our guys can't get it together.
djsfw57
SFA_03 said:

If that was SFA it would've been targeting as well as an aggravated assault charge
That was total BS. There is ZERO excuse for that being overturned. Let's just encourage the players to kill each other... total crap.
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
Lots of trouble with the hurry up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.