NCAA DIVISION I (FCS) PLAYOFFS FIRST ROUND: #22 SFA vs. #18 UIW

17,469 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#20 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (8-3) VS. #13 UIW (9-2)

WHEN: NOV. 27 (SAT.) 2:00 P.M.
WHERE: GAYLE & TOM BENSION STADIUM SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7

The Lumberjacks of SFA are making an appearance in the NCAA Division I (FCS) Playoffs for the first time since 2014, to face the 2021 SLC Champions, Cardinals of UIW.

This makes for a unique match-up between two former conference foes, that will soon be conference foes once again, but in a difference conference.

The high flying Cards average almost 40 points a game, 133 yards rushing, and 352 passing a game, while the defense gives up just shy of 25 points a game, 166 yards rushing and 254 passing a game.

2021 Jerry Rice Award Winner, Walter Payton Award Finalist and All-Conference player, (SO.) QB:#7 CAMERON WARD 6-3; 220 is special, nearly passing for 4,000 yards this season on 306 completions with 38 TDs, averaging 349 yards a game.

On the receiving end are (JR.) WR:#16 TAYLOR GRIMES 5-11; 190 with 68 catches for 923 yards and 11 TDs (SR.) WR:#12 ROBERT FERREL 5-9; 170 with 56 catches and 660 yards and 7 TDs and (SR.) WR:#0 DARION CHAFIN 6-2; 195 totaling 567 yards on 44 catches for 9 TDS.

Leading rushers are All-American (GS.) RB:#4 KEVIN BROWN 5-9; 205 averaging 6.6 yards per carry on 128 carries for 848 yards and 12 TDs, along with (GS.) RB:#5 MARCUS COOPER 5-8; 185 with his 505 yards on 90 carries, that's 5.6 yards per carry with 7 scores.

The defense is all about Buck Buchanan Award Finalist (SR.) LB:#8 KELECHI ANYALEBECHI 6-0; 240 who leads the team in tackles (112), TFL (8.5), sacks (4.0), QBH (11) and FF (4)

The winner gets the prize, the defending National Champions and #1 team in the country Sam Houston State.

Lumberjack Nation has been waiting for some time for a winning program to cheer on into the playoffs, and this team is hitting on all pistons, as they ride their 5-game win streak into San Antonio to make some noise and to show the country that they belong and that they are in fact one of the best teams in the nation.

Axe'Em

SFAXE93
MasterAxe
This really will be Strength on Strength.

This is likely the best offense we've seen all year (I discount Sam cause Schmid was out) vs the best defense they've seen all year.
SFASawmillGuy
Honestly Schmid has been so inconsistent this year I doubt he would've made too big a difference when we played them.

I will agree that this is the best offense we've played and probably will play if we keep going. Our biggest thing will be pressuring their hotshot QB and taking advantage of any opportunities we are given as far as offensive possessions.
Jacks4460
I promise you they haven't felt the pressure Power is gonna put on them…
SFA Jack Fanatic
Interesting note: QB Cameron Ward played at Columbia HS south of Houston. They were a running team, so Ward rarely threw the ball. He became an elite passer only after he got to UIW.
SFAXE93
The improvement of Trae Self in his 3 seasons.

QB:#1 TRAE SELF 6-4; 200 (JR.)

G:11;CMP:222;ATT:345;CMP:65.0%;YDS:2,958;TD:25;INT:7;RYDS:282;RTD:3 (2021)
G:10;CMP:154;ATT:264;CMP:59.4%;YDS:2,008;TD:15;INT:7;RYDS:107;RTD:4 (2020)
G:10;CMP:212;ATT:397;CMP:48.1%;YDS:2,550;TD:12;INT:12;RYDS:53;RTD:2 (2019)

G:31;CMP:588;ATT:1,006;CMP%:57.5%;YDS:7,516;TD:52;INT:26;RYDS:442;RTD:9

Can't wait to see what he does for his senior season.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

The improvement of Trae Self in his 3 seasons.

QB:#1 TRAE SELF 6-4; 200 (JR.)

G:11;CMP:222;ATT:345;CMP:65.0%;YDS:2,958;TD:25;INT:7;RYDS:282;RTD:3 (2021)
G:10;CMP:154;ATT:264;CMP:59.4%;YDS:2,008;TD:15;INT:7;RYDS:107;RTD:4 (2020)
G:10;CMP:212;ATT:397;CMP:48.1%;YDS:2,550;TD:12;INT:12;RYDS:53;RTD:2 (2019)

G:31;CMP:588;ATT:1,006;CMP%:57.5%;YDS:7,516;TD:52;INT:26;RYDS:442;RTD:9

Can't wait to see what he does for his senior season.
No doubt he has improved, but I must believe a dramatically improved O-line has a lot to do with it. And, that Gipson fellow too.
SFAXE93
And he can play 2 more seasons!
SFAXE93
SFA moves up to #20 in the latest polls while UIW moves to #13

https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/11/fcs-top-25-etsu-kennesaw-state-feel-like-a-10/
TallTexan
I see the athletic dept is sending out emails regarding the playoff game, but what else are we doing to get fans out?

Alumni association doing any outreach? Any local radio or tv interviews with Carthel?

There's a very real chance to have a decent amount of a homefield crowd if we can get 500+ Jacks from San Antonio/Austin to show up.
SFAXE93
NATIONAL RANKINGS

#5 TEAM SACKS (SFA) 39.0 (3.55 PER GAME)
#7 TEAM TFL (SFA) 86.0 (8 PER GAME)
#10 TEAM PASSING EFFICIENCY DEFENSE (SFA) (108.23)
#14 SCORING DEFENSE (SFA) (17.91)
#17 TOTAL DEFENSE (SFA) 4.63 YPP (303 PER GAME)
PurpleOut
Staff
Fan bus:

https://sfajacks.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FANBUS&linkID=sfasu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I see the athletic dept is sending out emails regarding the playoff game, but what else are we doing to get fans out?

Alumni association doing any outreach? Any local radio or tv interviews with Carthel?

There's a very real chance to have a decent amount of a homefield crowd if we can get 500+ Jacks from San Antonio/Austin to show up.
KTRE was with the team at the watch show, and interviewed Carthel and Self. Caleb does a solid job of covering SFA.

John Krueger with the Daily Sentinel has been all over it. His stories have run in the Lufkin paper also.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

KTRE was with the team at the watch show, and interviewed Carthel and Self. Caleb does a solid job of covering SFA.

John Krueger with the Daily Sentinel has been all over it. His stories have run in the Lufkin paper also.
Awesome.

We might also want to roll some out in Austin/SA area too though. Chad Hasting's on Austin sports radio is married to a Lumberjack. I also wouldn't be surprised if SFA's Comm program doesn't have some Grads working in that area too.

Small sidenote, anyone hear listen to The Team out of Tyler? I'm not a big sports talk guy, but I check in every now and again to see if they're covering SFA, but haven't heard us mentioned all season. Just wandering if a regular listener had caught it?
FGColonel
Good Luck guys.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship Games
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
millenniumkat
Massey Simulator has UIW as a one point favorite lol. Thats about as close to a pickem as it gets. UIw had no answer for shsu pass rush in the spring, because Ward does not run much when pressured. But, they have a very good RB in Brown. Its defense vs offense in this one. Going to be fun. Ill give UIw the nod since they are at home, but im pulling for SFA. I think a Playoff BOTPW is way overdue for these programs.
SFAXE93
There might be more SFA fans there than UIW fans.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

ALL THIS ON 89 PLAYS IN 10 GAMES

#1 RECEPTIONS (69)
#1 RECEIVING TDS (14)
#1 RECEIVING YARDS PER GAME (128)
#2 RECEVING YARDS (1,276)
#4 RECEPTIONS PER GAME (7)
#5 TOTAL TDS (15)
#7 ALL PURPOSE YARDS (1,451)
#7 YARDS PER GAME (145)

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
Tickets purchased. Lunch at Good Time Charlies on Broadway, few blocks south of UIW, then go time.
nacluth
Looking forward to a XXX day.
SFASawmillGuy
Looking at social media the UIW fan(singular) is really offended by our trash talk. Keep it up!
SFA Jack Fanatic
FGColonel said:

Good Luck guys.
FGColonel is a classy guy.
Texasheli
I listen to the Team
just about every afternoon. About the only college sports they do outside The Big 12 or Dallas based schools is TJC. They will mention UTTyler now and again. There are a couple of fill in guys that are SFA grads that will cover SFA basketball. Bill Coats who normally runs the show does not show any interest in SFA. When David Smoak was the host there was quit abit of SFA news. He was a SFA grad.
Pilotgirl
They will only cover if it's making national attention. US making the playoffs isn't enough yet (for them)
sfajack05
And one of the fill ins is a member on this board.

I've called in a few times to talk about SFA basketball when I was at my previous job. Never talked football because there really wasn't much to talk about.
SFASawmillGuy
sfajack05 said:

Never talked football because there really wasn't much to talk about.

Well there is now
TallTexan
Texasheli said:

I listen to the Team
just about every afternoon. About the only college sports they do outside The Big 12 or Dallas based schools is TJC. They will mention UTTyler now and again. There are a couple of fill in guys that are SFA grads that will cover SFA basketball. Bill Coats who normally runs the show does not show any interest in SFA. When David Smoak was the host there was quit abit of SFA news. He was a SFA grad.

That was the general feeling I get when tuning in. I've caught just about every Big 12 team, A&M, & SMU, & quite a few SEC ones but have never heard a peep about the Jacks.

Wonder if that's an avenue Ivey and co could develop. You get Carthel calling in once or twice and they're gonna want him to come back. He'd be a hit.

But Tyler/Longview is such a huge potential market for us for getting Homer & WRJ filled on a regular basis. So many Jacks around there.
KATatonic
SFAXE93 said:

There might be more SFA fans there than UIW fans.
There will be more SFA fans there. Good luck to you guys. Hope you come out of it healthy, but really, really tired and confused...
Texasheli
TallTexan said:

Wonder if that's an avenue Ivey and co could develop. You get Carthel calling in once or twice and they're gonna want him to come back. He'd be a hit.

But Tyler/Longview is such a huge potential market for us for getting Homer & WRJ filled on a regular basis. So many Jacks around there.
Agree, It would be good for the sports programs at SFA and widen the Team's listening audience. They pretty much get the same callers to the program everyday. Sometimes I change the dial after a quick listen because it the same horse they are beating week in and out. Antidotally there are a lot of cars around town with alumni stickers or plates on them, so there should be interest. I wear SFA logo clothing regularly when I am out and just about ever time someone tells me they are an SFA grad also or went to school there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.