#23 SFA VS. #24 JACKSONVILLE STATE

20,446 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#23 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (3-2; 0-1) VS. #24 JACKSONVILLE STATE (2-3; 0-1)

WHEN: OCT. 9 (SAT.) 3:00 P.M.
WHERE: JACKSONVILLE, ALABAMA (JSU STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7

In an ideal world, this would be a perfect time for a bye week, you know to process things, regroup, and to recharge the batteries. But this is far from a perfect world, and as they say there is no rest for the weary.

After a hard fought, emotional game in the BOTPW, the Lumberjacks of SFA must now jump on the bus and head on out to the great state of Alabama, to be the homecoming guest of the Gamecocks of Jacksonville State at JSU Stadium, where the JSU have been 21-6 since 2017.

The Gamecocks have been a bit of an enigma through 5 games into this young season.

In the beginning things kicked off with a not so stellar performance at FBS foe UAB (losing 0-31), where the Gamecocks seemed to be left for dead in the water and a lost cause only to bounced the following week by marching right into Tallahassee and shocking the Semonoles of Florida State (along with the nation) 20-17. (although not the Semonoles of old) That was then followed up by taking care of business at home against North Alabama 27-24 where all seemed to be back on track.

But since then the Gamecocks find themselves in a 2-game skid after losses to UT-Martin at home 31-34 and on the road at #20 Kennesaw State 6-31 and are now desperate looking for a win.

The JSU defense returns a majority of their players, that as a team totaled 28 sacks and 86 TFL in 2020. This season the defense is giving up a pretty nice balance of 200 yards on the ground and 224 through the air for 424 total yards a game, while allowing their opponents to score 27 points a game.

JSU's offense is lead by higly touted preseason all conference player and Walter Payton watch list senior QB #6 ZERRICK COOPER 6-3; 220, the 4-star recruit, and Clemson tranfer with Madden like numbers of 643 CMP; 8,349 passing yards and 66 TDs along with 861 rushing yards and 18 scores.

The ground game is mainly Junior #5 RB JOSH SAMUEL 5-11; 215 who leads the team in rushing this season with 239 yards, 5.2 yards per carry and a score. Samuels had a big game last season totaling 201 yards of offense and a TD to earn FCS Player of the Week against FBS opponent FIU.

Redshirt freshman #13 WR P.J. WELLS 6-3; 190 leads the team in receiving with 223 yards and 2 TDs on an offense that is averaging 302 yards of total offense and 17 points a game.

We already know what this SFA team is made of and what they are capable of doing, as they made a believer out of a few yesterday in their heartbreaking loss to the #1 team in the nation. Some much due respect was earned in that loss, and the Lumberjacks continue to get better, trying to shed the past, on their journey from good to great.

Axe'Em
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

BigJack85
A victory against JSU puts us back in the "at large" conversation
Ljacks&Longnecks
Here comes the next test for Good to Great. Jacks must rebound from the tough loss and focus on business. Playoff chances still very strong if we go out and win. Coaches and players alike must rebound and be ready to fire Saturday the 9th and 5 more Saturdays after the bye week. Axe em.
TallTexan
Would be a great week for a bye week, but I think this team comes out fired up.
SFA71
I am giving some serious thought to going to either the Jacksonville game or the Dixie State. Any opinions on which would be a better game. I know the drive from Birmingham to Jacksonville is shorter than the drive from Las Vegas to Dixie State. But I've got the time.
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Here comes the next test for Good to Great. Jacks must rebound from the tough loss and focus on business. Playoff chances still very strong if we go out and win. Coaches and players alike must rebound and be ready to fire Saturday the 9th and 5 more Saturdays after the bye week. Axe em.

A single conference loss doesn't automatically eliminate us from conference title contention either. Let's not forget Sam still has a full slate of games to play as well and although I thoroughly think we were their biggest regular season challenge, a bad day against JSU or Tarleton can put things in the right direction for us.

Looking forward to that Piney Woods rematch this November/December
SFA Jack Fanatic
Good write up, 93. Here's hoping that the Jacks can rise to the occasion after outplaying Prison Tech for 90% of the game only to lose at the end. I have faith that they will. #AxeEm
SFASawmillGuy
Title of the thread needs to be updated. We're ranked now.
SFAXE93
Yes, please set the title to this thread to...

SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Yes, please set the title to this thread to...

A top 25 showdown in Alabama! Love it.
nacluth
Who's ranking us? The FCS poll has JState at 22 and we lost ground but still receiving votes.

Is this the same poll that had us 18?

SFASawmillGuy
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-perform-fcs-top-25
BigJack85
SFA71 said:

I am giving some serious thought to going to either the Jacksonville game or the Dixie State. Any opinions on which would be a better game. I know the drive from Birmingham to Jacksonville is shorter than the drive from Las Vegas to Dixie State. But I've got the time.

I'm thinking Jacksonville State…. Dixie is going to be a conference mate soon. You'll get to see them often.
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA71 said:

The scenery from Vegas to Cedar City is much better going through the Virgin River gorge However they started work on that highway a few weeks ago so don't know about traffic delays.
Kat1990
Jax State loses 2 FCS games and is still ranked?
SFA loses by 1 to the number 1 and a close FBS loss
That makes no sense!

The situation can be taken care of Saturday at Jax State with SFA win on rankings.
It is their homecoming game!
Go take care of them and show the poll voters their error.
We have them for our HC game!
Jacks4460
Kat1990 said:

Jax State loses 2 FCS games and is still ranked?
SFA loses by 1 to the number 1 and a close FBS loss
That makes no sense!

The situation can be taken care of Saturday at Jax State with SFA win on rankings.
It is their homecoming game!
Go take care of them and show the poll voters their error.
We have them for our HC game!

We gunna get em Saturday.. Our team leaders will be determined more than ever this week...they wont stay down... They are mad because they know they had the game in their mitts and let it slip away..
SFAXE93
BigJack85
If our defense comes to play we look good in this one.
sfajack05
My only worry would be the let down from last week and honestly if we won last weekend I'd be worried about that also. Wish this was an off week.

I think Carthel and co will have the guys ready.
SFASawmillGuy
Unfortunately a loss was gonna happen. This year probably wasn't going to be an 11-1 regular season. I'm just glad we lost early and it wasn't to a winless un ranked team.
nacluth
This isn't a must win in that our playoff hopes are done if we don't win, but it's a must win for season momentum. A loss this weekend puts us behind the 8 ball the rest of the year.
SFAXE93
sfajack05
SFA_03 said:

Unfortunately a loss was gonna happen. This year probably wasn't going to be an 11-1 regular season. I'm just glad we lost early and it wasn't to a winless un ranked team.
I was saying with all the emotion/let down from the loss from last week is what concerns me. Might not be as focused. Same if we had won. Just saying this would have been the perfect bye week so those emotions didn't carry over.
Kat1990
nacluth said:

This isn't a must win in that our playoff hopes are done if we don't win, but it's a must win for season momentum. A loss this weekend puts us behind the 8 ball the rest of the year.
I watch lot of the FCS playoff talk and supposed experts on the playoffs and attempt to see the big picture from multiple sources
I think it is must win for the Jacks based on the rest of the schedule
It hurts that Jac States has 2 loses to UT Martin and Kennesaw State

If the Jacks lose they will have to hope for some help and loses from teams against teams they are not supposed to lose to
I think if they run the table at 9-2 with one of those FBS loss they are in easy
Lose to Jac State and they will need to win out and get a lot of help
SFAJack_76
Kat1990 said:

nacluth said:

I watch lot of the FCS playoff talk and supposed experts on the playoffs and attempt to see the big picture from multiple sources
I think it is must win for the Jacks based on the rest of the schedule
It hurts that Jac States has 2 loses to UT Martin and Kennesaw State

If the Jacks lose they will have to hope for some help and loses from teams against teams they are not supposed to lose to
I think if they run the table at 9-2 with one of those FBS loss they are in easy
Lose to Jac State and they will need to win out and get a lot of help

Agree.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What is Justice Guillory's status? Done for the year? His injury did not look good.
KirkHeath12
Saw SFA is favored by 8 by one site thought that was high
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFAXE93
IN THE NATION (FCS)

XAVIER GIPSON
(#6) RECEIVING YARDS PER GAME (109.2 YARDS)
(#10) RECEPTIONS PER GAME (7 RECEPTIONS)
(#11) RECEIVING YARDS (437 YARDS)
(#18) ALL PURPOSE YARDS (130.25 YPG)
(#18) RECEIVING TDS (4)

CHRIS CAMPOS
(#1) FIELD GOALS PER GAME (2.20 FG PG)

MAX QUICK
(#1) PUNT AVERAGE ) (50 YDS PER GAME)

BJ THOMPSON
(#14) SACKS (5.0)
(#22) TFL (7.5)
Jacks4460
Coach is taking team to the Edmund Pettus Bridge in the morning.. What a great part of history.. This is why our players love coach and will battle until the absolute end… Our team will be successful on and off the field..
Jacks4460
On another note the NFL scouts are salivating over BJ.. He has the motor they like and can get around a tackle or make an open field tackle on a RB.. Can't wait to watch him grow.. He blew by that Kat tackle and just grabbed the helmet.. Someone else said it on here that he was determined to end the game by himself and did.. He just got his hand in the wrong place..
SFASawmillGuy
Jacks4460 said:

Coach is taking team to the Edmund Pettus Bridge in the morning.. What a great part of history.. This is why our players love coach and will battle until the absolute end… Our team will be successful on and off the field..

Unless he just wants to become FCS Nick Saban no way he doesn't get hired by an FBS school in a few years.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

And, they eat well too.
Jacks4460
He knows he has to win a couple championships in Nac before he even thinks about a bigger program..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.