SFA VS. (RV) TARLETON STATE

21,404 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jacks4460
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) TARLETON STATE (0-0) VS. (RV) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (0-0)

WHEN: SEPT. 4 (SAT.) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+
RADIO: Q107.7 F.M.

Tarleton State is incredibly 3-1 against the Lumberjacks at Homer Bryce Stadium in the last three meeting. Believe it or not (Jack Palance voice)

Coach Carthel himself is riding a two game losing streak to the Texans, who just recently made the jump to Division I football, but have been playing like they have belonged all the time.

Last season Head Coach Todd Whitten lead a very successful 2020 campaign that saw his team go 5-3 with wins over FBS opponent New Mexico State, and a near victory against SLC foe McNeese State (a 37-40 2OT loss) in Stephensville. At one point the Texans were even ranked in the Top 25.

On offense Tarleton returns #11 QB STEVEN DUNCAN the big strong 6-6; 235 junior out of Charleston, South Carolina, who last season in 7 games completed 127 passes (60%) for 1,542 yards and 11 TDs, while throwing only 3 INTs. Duncan had a season high 347 passing yards in the second meeting with Dixie State where he threw for 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

Duncan's favorite target was senior WR #1 TARIQ BITSON 6-3; 205 out of Tulsa, Oklahoma who caught 43 passes for 614 yards and 7 TDs. Bitson's season high was 202 yards on 12 catches for 2 scores in the second meeting with Dixie State. Bitson would go on to score in 4 straight games, a streak he brings to the Nac. On the other side of the field we have junior WR #2 DOUGLAS GABE 6-3; 210 out of powerhouse Denton Ryan who had a season high 7 catches for 190 yards and 2 scores at New Mexico State. Also, in the mix and how could we forget big senior WR:#88 J.F. THOMAS 6-5; 200 who caught 7 passes for 196 yards and 2 TDs his last time in Homer Bryce Stadium in 2019.

The running game is lead by senior running back #22 RYHEEM SKINNER 5-8; 220 who rushed for nearly 700 yards and 6 TDs in 8 games. In 2020 Skinner had three 100 plus yard games on the ground with a season high 197 yards on 31 carries in the first meeting with Dixie State. Skinner rushed for 84 yards on 11 carries averaging 7.6 yards against SFA in 2019.

The defense lead by senior LB #1 RONNEL WILSON 6-3; 240 out of Abilene HS. Lead the team in tackles with 76 TFL with 10 and FR with 3. In the secondary senior DB: #3 TRE JOHNSON returns. In 2020 Johnson broke up 12 passes along with 33 tackles.

As a team the Texans averaged nearly 180 yards a game rushing, while still managing 232 yards through the air for a very balanced attack.

The defense held their opponents to 163 yards passing and 142 on the ground.

Many players on both sides of the ball return for this rematch and it should be a real humdinger of a game and the start to an all new WAC rivalry between the Texans of Tarleton State and the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin State.

AXE'EM
SFAXE93
BigJack85
This is going to be a real test. Wouldn't be shocked to see us end up with a "L" I wonder what the game line will be?? I doubt it's more than 7 point spread.
nacluth
I think it's supposed to be Tarleton (RV), but kudos for being a good fan.

https://www.afca.com/polls/
SFAXE93
Fixed it.

I think I was confused by the final 2020 poll.

SFAXE93
In my opinion, if we lose this game, it will be a step back for the program.
nacluth
No 93, it was on SFAjacks where they posted a thing last week that we were ranked 11th. But I could never find any confirmation anywhere of it. The polls I have seen have not included us (no real surprise). I'm not sure what was going on there. I knew why you had it the other way.

On a good note, it's the low hanging fruit right in front of us. Let's go prove that we deserve to be on list over Tarleton. #bestpurpleteam.
SFAXE93
It was the final 2020 poll where we had 11 votes and what they story was about.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

I think it's supposed to be Tarleton (RV), but kudos for being a good fan.

https://www.afca.com/polls/
Or

https://www.afca.com/sam-houston-starts-the-2021-fall-season-at-no-1/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=WeAreAFCA&utm_content=Sam%20Houston%20Starts%20the%202021%20Fall%20Season%20at%20No.%201
SFAXE93
lol OK how about we have it (RV) vs. (RV) and call it a ranked team match up.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Not losing this game. The Carthel era begins it's assault on the WAC...and the Lumberjack fans start to believe!!

Jacks4460
yes sir... we havent forgotten what they came to Nac and did to us when this train first started... We will be ready and we will not lose.
SFAXE93
That's what I like to hear!

* QB now in his 3rd year in the system.
* 3 RBs who can start
* 1 WR All American and 3 FBS transfer WRs who can start
* OL that is all back with two all conference players

* Defensive line that is all back with a freshman all-American and preseason all WAC player
* All conference and DPOY linebacker
* A secondary with tons of depth and multiple players with 3 or more INTS to their name

If this ain't primed to make noise now, I don't know what is?
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

That's what I like to hear!

* QB now in his 3rd year in the system.
* 3 RBs who can start
* 1 WR All American and 3 FBS transfer WRs who can start
* OL that is all back with two all conference players

* Defensive line that is all back with a freshman all-American and preseason all WAC player
* All conference and DPOY linebacker
* A secondary with tons of depth and multiple players with 3 or more INTS to their name

If this ain't primed to make noise now, I don't know what is?
Thats what I am screaming '93... And in reference to this Tarleton State game... TSU will now have to comptete with the same rules when it comes to academics... DIV II schools the kids really dont have to go to class so they get some of those transfers from big schools that come just to ball and now it will have to be a different kind of kid where they have to have the academics too..
Jacks4460
We aint losing BigJack... we are for real...
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

I think you're right. Just a little snake bit..
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

I think you're right. Just a little snake bit..

I know BigJack you have every reason to feel snake bit.. I told the team a couple weeks ago that I knew I was speaking for a lot of people in that we were so excited because we know the coaching staff has built a squad full of players that will win and we haven't tasted winning in a long long time also says a lot about our team and who is all in because we are 98% vaccinated..
PurpleOut
Staff
Also, I don't remember seeing this before, but they are selling suite tickets in the air conditioning for $100/per.
SFAXE93
The table is set

TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

who is all in because we are 98% vaccinated..
That is great news.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

The table is set

This looks incredible.
TallTexan
Structurally, I wonder if you could plant pine trees on the backside of the hills. It'd take 5 to 10 years, but then you'd have a really awesome, imposing look bringing the forest in closer.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAXE93 said:

The table is set

This looks incredible.
Got to walk the new turf tonight at fan fest. Really, really nice. The players love it.
SFASawmillGuy
Players about to run circles around some teams on it too.
Jacks4460
The grey and purple track is gonna make it really pop out!!
SFAXE93
Brevin Randle is going to take over some games! Beast Texas!

BigJack85
While looking for WAC/AQ7 scores in my ESPN and CBS Sports app, I found nothing. Looking for answers. Shouldn't the league office we coordinating with major sports networks. Specifically one (ESPN) that the league just signed a media rights deal with.
nacluth
Yeah I don't know why they don't have either listed under Conference, but if you select the FCS (1-AA) in the ESPN app, then it will show you scores/rankings.

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Jacks4460
Is it Saturday yet????? We have ourselves a football team Lumberjacks... I hope everyone supports them... if you dont its ok when we start winning you will support then and we will welcome the support with open arms.. It all starts in a few more days...
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Is it Saturday yet????? We have ourselves a football team Lumberjacks... I hope everyone supports them... if you dont its ok when we start winning you will support then and we will welcome the support with open arms.. It all starts in a few more days...
We will be there! But, you probably suspected that. Looking forward to it.
Jacks4460
76 I sure wish we had more alumni like yourself... You are one of the most supportive alumni I have met and I am happy to know you and Mrs 76.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.