WEEK 6: SAM HOUSTON STATE

29,415 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope we beat that crapola out of these ********** in every other sport this year, especially in basketball.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I hope we beat that crapola out of these ********** in every other sport this year, especially in basketball.

Man, got Ed so riled up he's getting censored!
AxeEm99
Did the contract get renewed at Reliant? Is it really possible the game could get moved back to the campuses? Relaint is far to biased in favor of the Bearkats.
MasterAxe
Three thoughts:

(1) Despite the score, thought defense played really well for the 2nd week in a row.

(2) Outside of Baylor, this was the first time all year our offense really stunk. Gave up 5 sacks and 15 tackles for loss with 4 turnovers. Not gonna win many with those numbers.

(3) But, you can see it. We're getting close. Damn close.
TallTexan
randybass said:

Did the contract get renewed at Reliant? Is it really possible the game could get moved back to the campuses? Relaint is far to biased in favor of the Bearkats.

Even if we had 15k fans of each team, playing in a mostly empty dome will never match an on campus game.
TallTexan
I thought the defense played really well. If the offense is atleast serviceable in the 2nd half, we probably hold Sam to 20 or less.

And if you do that. You ought to win.
djsfw57
Our offensive line was god awful today. I just sat and watched and kept shaking my head. Terrible.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFASawmillGuy
A lot of points were left on the field today, but it was not Self's fault. I saw him on the sideline after that last pick and it was the look of a man who did everything he possibly could to help his team win and wasn't able to. Offensive line wasn't awful, but inconsistent. Trae would go from all day to throw to running for his life play by play.
Our running game was non existent, and that made it easier to key on the pass.
We had a lot of drops again which caused several drives to stall out early.
Defense was astounding. They scored on a trick play and 2 broken coverage plays. They had one, ONE drive I would qualify as a real touchdown drive.
For 85% of this game we were better than them, but our lack of depth and inexperience showed at the end. Next year will be scary.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For the record, I censored myself, just to lighten the eventual workload on the admins.

And I agree with those who said the defense played extremely well. They were fighting the poor field position handed to them by the offense the entire second half.
TheRevSFA
Tough loss. Great performance and growth by the team.

However **** performance by the sfa fans and alumni who have stopped showing up to the game and has made what was a slightly Sam home game to a complete Sam home game
BigJack85
It would help if we won one once in a while. I've been to more than my share. I get the apathy.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TheRevSFA
BigJack85 said:

It would help if we won one once in a while. I've been to more than my share. I get the apathy.

I'm sure our players enjoyed that support from the sea of blue seats behind them.

While I get the losing, we still draw good fans at home and it's a rivalry game. It's not leaving NRG any time soon.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For the record, I censored myself, just to lighten the eventual workload on the admins.

And I agree with those who said the defense played extremely well. They were fighting the poor field position handed to them by the offense the entire second half.

Gotta make Nacluth earn that moderator paycheck.
TallTexan
I'm as guilty as anyone of not showing up to that game. Went the first two times and it was just meh. Lived 4 hours away after that.

And I'm willing to show up a lot of places to watch SFA & tolerate a lot. So I can't say alot.

If it's still there next year and neither of us are working, we'll attend.

But I'm never gonna be as excited for an atmosphere like that as I will to watch anything in Nac.

If it's not Texas/OU, then it shouldn't be a neutral site game.
TheRevSFA
TallTexan said:

I'm as guilty as anyone of not showing up to that game. Went the first two times and it was just meh. Lived 4 hours away after that.

And I'm willing to show up a lot of places to watch SFA & tolerate a lot. So I can't say alot.

If it's still there next year and neither of us are working, we'll attend.

But I'm never gonna be as excited for an atmosphere like that as I will to watch anything in Nac.

If it's not Texas/OU, then it shouldn't be a neutral site game.

I agree that it needs to be back at campus sites. I think it'll go back after this contract round but you never know
TallTexan
I hope so. It's not even about the winning or losing for me. We could lose the next 65 in Nac and I'd be a trooper in the stands. Might take up knitting, but I'd be there.

But I just don't get excited about driving to Houston & spending a day there to watch football in front of a half empty stadium. Saw one Aggie accurately describe neutral site games as having the atmosphere of a wet fart.

And that'd be the case if we won 9 straight.

When's the contract up this time?

BigJack85
TheRevSFA said:

BigJack85 said:

I'm sure our players enjoyed that support from the sea of blue seats behind them.

While I get the losing, we still draw good fans at home and it's a rivalry game. It's not leaving NRG any time soon.

I get it. I'm just saying I do my part and I still understand why people stop showing up. Part of the reason I've advocated for a tune up game (and not a team that won 12 games in D2 last year) is that it allows the team to build on the winning feeling. I know that as a player. The other thing is that most (80%) of our fans don't follow FCS football close enough to know the difference between us playing Southwest Oklahoma or us playing Southwest Adventist. A big chunk of those "fans" would show up to watch a 2-2 SFaysquad that wouldn't show up for a SFA team that just beat a average Lamar squad.
SFASawmillGuy
As much as I would love to the game played in Nac again, I don't think the "neutral" site game is a bad idea or even having the game in Houston, even though it's closer to Huntsville. However I think NRG isn't the best place for it.
I still think BBVA would be an amazing place to host the game. It would be an easily sold out stadium, is located in a great area near downtown, and would make for a great atmosphere for everyone involved. It would look so much better to sell that place out than to have a 3/4 empty cavern.
Texas Southern uses it as a home stadium so it can easily be used for football, I'm sure they'd welcome a big time FCS rivalry that would sell out their stadium(probably even have custom turf for us), and the stadium just looks pretty.
Basically BBVA gives both teams every advantage of playing in NRG stadium without the empty stadium.
BigJack85
Agreed 100%.
SFASawmillGuy
After this game I'm 100% more confident we can win a few more games this season. Someone close to the team earlier told me it wouldn't be impossible for us to win the last 6, and I believe them. Which means my preseason prediction is still alive!
jflandis
Headed back to Jacksonville a little disappointed but had an amazing trip. Stayed at the Holiday Inn near NRG and it was mostly Sam fans. Everyone was extremely gracious in victory at the stadium and the hotel. I felt like there were more than a few families with mixed school alumni. It was a very fan friendly event and everyone kept it classy.
AxeEm99
SFA 03, I agree. I am still steaming this morning at the loss. The 9 losses in a row are the result of poor decisions made by the (former) AD and administration. Thank God we have a real coach and AD now!! I can see the light. Hopefully we can win the next 10 and set the record straight.
Its Its awfully hard to live in Huntsville and be a Lumberjack. Its almost unbearable when we lose 9 in a row to the Kats!!!
drhuggybear
Regardless of the score yesterday I was pleased with what I saw. The defense played well but were gassed at the end of the game. I don't know what the time of possession differential was but the second half Sam had to have had 60+% of it. Just seemed like the defense was on the field the entire second half.

The offense looked good and Trae when given time and smart play calling is a good QB. He just spent way too much time throwing on the run leading to errant passes.

That game was much closer than the score showed. I think we can win several games down the stretch.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFA Jack Fanatic
jflandis said:

Headed back to Jacksonville a little disappointed but had an amazing trip. Stayed at the Holiday Inn near NRG and it was mostly Sam fans. Everyone was extremely gracious in victory at the stadium and the hotel. I felt like there were more than a few families with mixed school alumni. It was a very fan friendly event and everyone kept it classy.

Congrats on making the commitment, expense, and time to fly to Houston for the game. You are a true Lumberjack! #AxeEm
PurpleOut
Staff
Started a poll on the NRG vs Campus subject. I think everyone knows I'm strongly in favor of leaving NRG.

While losing obviously hurts attendance, the fact that we do show up for home games like Rev said and not this game, shows me that we as a fan base don't really care about it being in Houston either.

The overall atmosphere, stadium, tailgate, etc just does nothing for me overall. It was cool the first year there, but every year after I always felt meh. But that's me.

BigJack85
I'm not on the Twitter thing but definitely believe Campus is the way to go. By far.
AxeEm99
Contract expires in 2023. It was renewed by the previous AD. Hopefully when the administration and AD look at the overall costs per year vs home, they will cancel NRG and move back to campus before 2023.
Its not fun anymore. The excitement is gone, and fan participation is way down. SH fans are showing up because it is Bearkat Country and the whole event is biased toward the Bearkats.
On another note, if the game was moved to a REAL neutral location like The Star (Cowboys practice facility) in Frisco. things might be different....
BigJack85
I like the home and home thing. Nobody can be making much money on it. If they say they are (making money) it's probably miniscule. I think it made some sense early on but frankly SFA has been the downer in the whole thing. We haven't been competitive (for real) until this year. Last year we were out played early and made it closer than it looked on paper. Even the Wikipedia page has no edits or pro SFA content in it. Some young writer with SFA bias could change that ...... or the SFA athletic department could put one of the media people on it to write something in the Battle of the Piney Woods page that said something about SFA other than defeat, defeat, defeat.
nacluth
It happened again:

https://www.collegemarching.com/content/sam-houston-state-kicker-refuses-to-leave-field
BigJack85
Totally bush league.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

It happened again:

https://www.collegemarching.com/content/sam-houston-state-kicker-refuses-to-leave-field

Rumor has it that this jerk is related to the Tarleton coach jerk that did it earlier this year.

But seriously, a player pushing a band director is WAY out of line, and some form of discipline had better be applied by Prison Tech or the Conference.
Ljacks&Longnecks
If indeed there is a written rule about players/kickers not being allowed on the field while a band is performing then a punishment should be a no brainer for the SLC head honchos.....then again it's the SLC.
SFAXE93
That's Connor Crow, remember he was our kicker at SFA back when he was a freshman in 2015, before he transferred.

Not good judgment on his part IMO, very disappointing, and could have easily been avoided.
BigJack85
Coaches have a role in this. Sam Houston State should be reprimanded.
PurpleOut
Staff
909 total votes in the poll. 49% for campus, 40% for NRG, 11% for don't care.

It was a much larger gap until last night when a student org retweeted it and all of the students voted for NRG. They of course don't know anything other than NRG and were already complaining that we wouldn't be able to handle a crowd that large, wouldn't be able to tailgate etc. Typical of kids today to just jump to a conclusion and only think of themselves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.