WEEK 3: SOUTHERN UTAH

76 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
TheRevSFA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our offense is okay.

Our defense is atrocious. 1200 yards given up in the past two games.

Our best player is Ruiz and our play calling was so bad that we basically kept him from giving us a shot at the win.

I'm not at all calling for Carthel's head but this one was ****ing bull**** and they need to get their **** together or Nicholls was hang 70 on us next week
CertifiedAxeman98
Defense must improve.
SFAJack_76
The defense is gosh awful. Between eligibility issues and the Ward injury, we lost three probable starters before the season began. That plus youth and new coaching staff is a tough combination. No excuse though for some of the painfully poor play we have seen. Nicholls could be .... oh my.
SFAJack_76
From the game story:

"In search of its second non-conference road victory this decade"

If you want to know the hole Carthel, Ivey, and staff are working to dig out of, this says a lot. Thank you Harper, Conque, and Hill.
SFAJack_76
One interesting piece from the game stats is we played 17 guys on defense. SUU played 27. Game played at elevation of 5,700'. Not an excuse for some of the things that go on, but our lack of depth is glaring.

Yes, another reason we should have gone all in to win the game in regulation.
No-look
Would like to know why we didn't go for the win at end of regulation. That's kinda puzzling. The last thing you need to do is give the ball back to a team that's scoring at will. I guess there was a reason. On the bright side things are improving overall.
Buckytaylor
Id look for open tryouts. We played 17 men on defense, and as I recall we lost two of our leaders (Jrs) possibly with concussions (which protocols might keep them out for a few weeks). Our line isn't getting much push due to the fact there is not much line. The numbers are thin AND our only DT that's not a freshman went down. Carl will be back soon, but we need to remember he's still a freshman. If we can survive all the attrition we will be well battle tested. A bright note would be, recruiting. High school stars won't have to wait long to play for SFA and that might interest a bunch. We have an excellent recruiting class and it would have sure been nice to have had all the scholarships that were taken by the unfortunate ineligible men, to sign a few more. It is a process and there will be a lot of growing pains, more than we have already felt on this forum. There were good signs of improvement on both sides of the ball, but the bottom line is we are brand new at all aspects and as long as we keep catching these breaks (sarcasm) we are only getting newer. Looking forward to this week and I appreciate the efforts of the staff and these young men

go jax!
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

From the game story:

If you want to know the hole Carthel, Ivey, and staff are working to dig out of, this says a lot. Thank you Harper, Conque, and Hill.

100% spot on. A new, optimistic coach and direction, but no illusions- this is going to be one rough brutal first year. Young players, and a young coach who also has some 'learnin' to do. If this isn't working in three years, I'll hit the button, but not after 3 games. We're just plain not good right now, and I wish it weren't the case because it's hard to watch, , Carthel inherited nothing, and those he did aren't able to play.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

From the game story:

100% spot on. A new, optimistic coach and direction, but no illusions- this is going to be one rough brutal first year. Young players, and a young coach who also has some 'learnin' to do. If this isn't working in three years, I'll hit the button, but not after 3 games. We're just plain not good right now, and I wish it weren't the case because it's hard to watch, , Carthel inherited nothing, and those he did aren't able to play.

I'm just looking for improvements at this point. The defense still looks fragile. I know we are dealing with some injuries (Ward) etc but geez.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
I thought I saw #90 last night.

So
DT:#90 Rayshad Nichols 6-3; 304 (Jr.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;PBU:0;INT:0;QBH:1

is back.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

I thought I saw #90 last night.

So
DT:#90 Rayshad Nichols 6-3; 304 (Jr.)
G:1;TKL:2;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;FF:0;FR:0;PBU:0;INT:0;QBH:1

is back.
This was a big dude to get back.. We now need Carl healthy and 99 went out in the 2nd qtr and never came back in..
Buckytaylor
Not Nichols, freshman walk-on from Houston named Johnson. But I love the optimism
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

From the game story:

I'm just looking for improvements at this point. The defense still looks fragile. I know we are dealing with some injuries (Ward) etc but geez.
You're right, even as rough as it is, just show us improvements.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFASawmillGuy
RedRiverLa said:

BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

From the game story:

I personally have been seeing improvements. The Baylor game was probably our best played FBS game since 2009. Tarleton we dragged ass but we've still be showing a lot of promise.
And defensively I think we started off pretty good, but our lack of depth did kill us. 2nd and 3rd quarter we absolutely dominated that game. 4th quarter the bottom fell out and I think it's all from inexperience and a lack of depth currently.
That final drive before overtime did confuse me, but overall(other than penalties) I think we played with a ton of heart and had we not been in the situation with injuries and players being out, we would've won.
This team is improving. Next season this team will be scary.
SFASawmillGuy
Also if we only win 1-2 games, let it be Sam and NWST.
BigJack85
The one thing I can say is improved.... turnovers. We've been handling the ball better.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Buckytaylor said:

Not Nichols, freshman walk-on from Houston named Johnson. But I love the optimism
You're right it was Trevon Johnson, sorry they took #90 away from Nichols.

The stats people got it wrong on the website, so honest mistake.
drhuggybear
I had to give myself 24 hours to respond because I was so disappointed last night. We had the game with over a minute left. The best FG kicker in the conference. Moving the ball on then ... I thought they have this. Then came the runs. WHAT????

They coached themselves out of a win. I would rather see them lose trying to win then trying not to lose. So frustrating. It's like the old "prevent defense" ... it prevents you from winning.

That said, there are improvements. The offense does seem to be getting better. The defense will get better. When you have that many underclassmen playing its tough. As they mature they will be able to stop some of these offenses ... and not make so many mistakes.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
TheRevSFA
SFA_03 said:

RedRiverLa said:

BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

From the game story:

I personally have been seeing improvements. The Baylor game was probably our best played FBS game since 2009. Tarleton we dragged ass but we've still be showing a lot of promise.
And defensively I think we started off pretty good, but our lack of depth did kill us. 2nd and 3rd quarter we absolutely dominated that game. 4th quarter the bottom fell out and I think it's all from inexperience and a lack of depth currently.
That final drive before overtime did confuse me, but overall(other than penalties) I think we played with a ton of heart and had we not been in the situation with injuries and players being out, we would've won.
This team is improving. Next season this team will be scary.

Yep. Young team, new system. Look at ACU and what they've done year over year. Maybe not next year but two years from now the development will be there.
lmbalum08
Some of you guys in here need to take a chill pill!! It ain't going to happen overnight, you don't just bring in talent and overnight it just falls into place. Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, all the best coached in the NCAA right now didn't start off with amazing programs. I'm not comparing Carthel to them, just saying 1 year in you can't already be losing your minds. This team went 2-8 this year, lets not forget that. The biggest plus right now is our ability to score points unlike last year. Yes, the defense is atrocious, but when have we EVER had a good defense.
MasterAxe
lmbalum08 said:

Some of you guys in here need to take a chill pill!! It ain't going to happen overnight, you don't just bring in talent and overnight it just falls into place. Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, all the best coached in the NCAA right now didn't start off with amazing programs. I'm not comparing Carthel to them, just saying 1 year in you can't already be losing your minds. This team went 2-8 this year, lets not forget that. The biggest plus right now is our ability to score points unlike last year. Yes, the defense is atrocious, but when have we EVER had a good defense.
I think what has some people jumping the shark (myself included) on why we are not better, is what happened at UIW last year.

They went to the playoffs in the 1st year of their new head coach, so yeah, overnight at UIW they were a contender. I think we'd like to know why that can't/won't be us?

Probably unrealistic, but seeing UIW do it made me believe we could.

Also, Lamar went to the playoffs in the 2nd year of their new head coach. So short-term, those two schools have turned it around very quickly.

I was, perhaps unrealistically, hoping for similar results in year one.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

lmbalum08 said:

I think what has some people jumping the shark (myself included) on why we are not better, is what happened at UIW last year.

They went to the playoffs in the 1st year of their new head coach, so yeah, overnight at UIW they were a contender. I think we'd like to know why that can't/won't be us?

Probably unrealistic, but seeing UIW do it made me believe we could.

Also, Lamar went to the playoffs in the 2nd year of their new head coach. So short-term, those two schools have turned it around very quickly.

I was, perhaps unrealistically, hoping for similar results in year one.
Master Axe I am with you on the UIW comparison... If you ask me the reason we havent seen the early success is because the attrition rate was through the roof and then with Ward being hurt for the year and the other 5 starters out for academic reasons hurts... Playing alot of Freshmen that I dont think UIW had to do... Cant really think of anything else we have done that they didnt do..
drhuggybear
I certainly see improvement over last years team. I just was baffled by the play calling in the last minute.

In all 3 games we have been competitive. It has been refreshing. It was just so disappointing to be that close to a victory on Saturday night and to see the coaches call such conservative plays in the last 1:30. It was like they said we will just win it in overtime.

Sadly, the defense has been the weakest point right now - due to legitimate reasons. So playing for an overtime victory was just ... I can't think of another word than disappointing.

I think we will see them get over the hump soon and that Carthel will bring winning and playoff seasons to SFA. I just don't know how soon it will happen.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
Cat Herder
lmbalum08 said:

Hit the nail on the head. Approximately half of the team is new with a lot of them being freshmen. Brand new coaching staff. Some key players that were expected to significantly contribute are injured or out for other reasons. 18-year old freshmen barely out of high school getting playing time and going up against upperclassmen that have been competing and conditioning at the college level for several years. Yet the team has been competitive. The administration, coaches, players, and support staff are all busting their axes and the program has improved greatly both on and off the field. It will continue to get better. There are exceptions, but building a successful program is typically a marathon not a sprint. Looking forward to watching this play out and will keep supporting them during the process. Axe'em!
SFAJack_76
Everybody, particularly the coaches, knew this was going to be a tough season. Nobody knew the magnitude of the challenges they would face. It starts with the injury to Alize, the leader not just of the defense, but the entire team. Blumrick, the only SFA experienced QB, out for I suppose the season. Coach has to literally take five quality guys off the bus loaded to go to Waco due to the much discussed eligibility mess. Carthel and staff set out to build this team for the long run by going heavy to high school guys rather than loading up on transfers. So, a young, thin team gets the fairly usual in-season injuries plus the other issues, and it adds up to a brutally tough situation for all involved.

Against SUU, freshmen took something like 869 snaps. If there were 170 plays total, then about 46% of our snaps were taken by freshmen. We played true freshmen at CB, with one of those being a walk on. After injury to an o-lineman, we finished the game with three freshmen in the line, including center.

Be absolutely assured that Carthel is not using, nor accepting, any of this as an excuse. It simply is reality. They will continue to work hard to get better both as a team, and as a coaching staff that is learning about D1 football.

Relative to the last 1:12 of the SUU game, there were several factors involved. SUU had all three timeouts left. There was concern about the ability of our defense to hold up if the ball was turned over to them quickly. The defense SUU was playing provided opportunity to get some good runs, which happened for a play or two. Ruiz is a much better kicker than the SUU guy, so we believed that gave us an advantage in OT. Remember that third and thirty play SUU had in OT. If they don't get that bogus PI call, they are attempting a long field goal with limited chance to make it. Also, remember a very questionable holding call that took away our TD run. If we score there, we were going to go for two. Sure, with hindsight, coach would do something different. Nobody knows if the result would have been different. This young staff is learning too.

The future is bright. The positive of all of these freshmen playing is the experience they are gaining now. They will get better every week. As others have said, my focus is not on the record, but on the team and coaches getting better. They all need our patience and support, not scorn and ridicule. The scorn and ridicule can come in a couple of years if wins are not there. Right now, I believe that will not be a concern.
nacluth
That was a bogus PI call.
Signujack
"Future is bright" well you know can't get much darker. LOL. Time will tell and we really should have no expectations of anything positive this year for sure.
TallTexan
Good point 76. Good news is those freshman were part of an excellent recruiting class, future is bright indeed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.