Colby Carthel

62,731 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let Ivey know on Twitter about the fan unis and it'll probably get solved.
cboothe09
To have been a fly on that wall for the entire meeting...
sfajack05
I like how he mentioned recruiting east Texas. There is a lot of talent that leaves the area for other southland schools.

Let's get it!
Jacks4460
famousunknown said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Watching the presser, I got the feeling from both he and Ivey that a national championship truly is the goal. Not occasionally making the playoffs, but much like basketball, setting the playoffs as the minimum expectation on any given year.

There's no reason an NDSU level program can't be built in the state of Texas, so why shouldn't we be the ones to build it?

I too am optimistic but realistic .... there are two reasons we would struggle to MAINTAIN a NDSU type program over the long haul.

1). We are in Texas. FBS is the only level that counts. People I know that graduated from Texas A&M still consider us a D2 school not because of the 16 D1 sports we sponsor but because of the ONE D1aa program we sponsor. 2). $$$$$. We are woefully underfunded. We can win and be competitive and I expect us to win championships but sustained success. I'm skeptical.
Ivey said in his introductory press conference that his goal is to make SFA the best mid-major in the country. We are either already there or close to being so in other sports and it can happen with FB as well (see '88, '89, '93, '95, etc).

I think more than a few alums and boosters are ready to jump on board if given a good reason to do so. If we put a winning product both on and off the field the $$$ will start to come in.

Sorry but I have to go and run through a brick wall now after watching that presser . . . . .

SFA '90
LC is this you big dawg???
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

I like how he mentioned recruiting east Texas. There is a lot of talent that leaves the area for other southland schools.

Let's get it!

That's where I think our biggest advantage to sustained success is. There's a lot of talent in East Texas. You get the right combo going for a good run and you can knock the wind out of everyone else's sails while you snag good FCS players and FBS tweeners/transfers.
SFAJack_76
Although we did not make it to the press conference, we were able to get back home in time to go to the reception. The wife and I got some good minutes with both Colby and his "smoking hot wife", Sarah. Sarah is every bit as impressive as Colby. When talking about the Ladyjack volleyball team, she said, with high energy, "we have got to get that RPI up!" When she said "we" I was won over. She agrees with many of us that this team got a bad draw, and could have competed with many in the tournament. We learned that Sarah was Big12 freshman of the year at UT. A coach change and personal reasons caused her to transfer to West Texas where she was extremely successful.

Colby is a very easy person to talk to. Beyond his drive and passion, I think he is really excited to be at SFA. He is also humble. When I mentioned that I had heard he was not the best coach in his family, he commented that he was actually number three, being behind Sarah and his dad. It was not a blow off comment, but rather said sincerely. Expect the nutrition and S&C changes to come quickly. Current team members should be really, really excited. I am confident some will move on because that happens with a leadership change with new direction. Some will get recruited over. Some are going to achieve things they have dreamed about.

I don't know what prompted it, but I told Colby that he needed to get the Aggie out of him. I then explained that my dad was a UT grad. We shared some fun Aggie stories. I think he will be okay.
TallTexan
Glad to hear some insights 76. I think we just added a very good Duo for both SFA and Nac in general.
drhuggybear
Just watched the press conference. Very excited about where Coach Carthel will take the program. The story about serving after Harvey really showed his heart.

He seems very down to earth. His press conferences should be interesting. I am excited to see where we go from here.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
cboothe09
Now I'm curious about player reaction...
HitSomeBody
cboothe09 said:

Player reaction:

Me: So did you get to meet the coach?
Player: yes
Me: What do you think
Player: IIIINNNTTTEEENNNSSSEEE
Me: When do you get back to work
Player: Tomorrow
Me: That is fast
Player: I'm kind of scared of the guy so I'm not going to be late and I'm going to bust my @$$.
Me: I can't wait to see what happens
Player: I'm hungry got to go to Maklemores (don't know if I'm saying that right)
Me: Keep it to one dinner and not the usual three at a time.
Player: Silence

He hung up on me. Again, I want a nutrition plan boys.

Congrats to coach Colby and Sarah. I believe they are the real deal and the right boost for our program.
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
HitSomeBody said:

cboothe09 said:

Player reaction:

Me: So did you get to meet the coach?
Player: yes
Me: What do you think
Player: IIIINNNTTTEEENNNSSSEEE
Me: When do you get back to work
Player: Tomorrow
Me: That is fast
Player: I'm kind of scared of the guy so I'm not going to be late and I'm going to bust my @$$.
Me: I can't wait to see what happens
Player: I'm hungry got to go to Maklemores (don't know if I'm saying that right)
Me: Keep it to one dinner and not the usual three at a time.
Player: Silence

He hung up on me. Again, I want a nutrition plan boys.

Congrats to coach Colby and Sarah. I believe they are the real deal and the right boost for our program.
Guys also got piss tested... "Find out what you got"
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

HitSomeBody said:

Guys also got piss tested... "Find out what you got"

Good! A great place to start in evaluating current player commitment to the program and to their health.
cboothe09
Jacks4460
Don't think coach is looking to see if they are hydrated... Yes great great place to start... If someone needs help then they get help...
SFA Jack Fanatic
I agree. He's not looking for H2O content at this point. He's sending a message.
TallTexan
Man I really want to hear some details on the coaching staff now. Who are we retaining? Who are we talking to?
SFA2000
The word on the street is all the coaches are gone even the new ones that they left Monday. They were planning to formally let everyone know about new Coach but it was leaked so then they went ahead and posted it as well. Who knows if they plan to bring any back.
drhuggybear
I would assume few, if any stay. New head coach will want his type of people on his staff implementing his style and drive.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
cboothe09
Oh. I know what he was testing for, but when you mentioned health I immediately thought of Herman's piss scale...
SFAJack_76
One of our best.

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

One of our best.

Hoping he gets the offensive support he deserves for his senior season. Dude is a special talent.
Jacks4460
Coach May QB co-offensive cord. smiled when I said Pace's name.. He said he will be a 70-80 catch player 1000+ yards and will get drafted.. But that the slate is clean nobody has a job and Pace will have to earn it...
nacluth
Coach was up late working while I was running through the stadium. He was talking to someone in his office, and I could tell that he is intense through the window.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Coach was up late working while I was running through the stadium. He was talking to someone in his office, and I could tell that he is intense through the window.
#HumbleBrag!
BigJack85
Wow. He's really starting fast. Awesome
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
CertifiedAxeman98
Does anyone know how his coaching staff is shaping up and if there will be any carry over from the Byrd's staff? Is he bringing a lot of his staff for Commerce. Really interested in who he gets in for offensive and defensive coordinators.
Jacks4460
Almost all his Commerce staff I saw at the reception at the Fredonia which was really 1st class... I was impressed with everything the Ath Dept. did.. Coaches werent saying they were coming to SFA just that they were there supporting Coach Carthel.. I talked to coach May whom is the QB coach.. I liked him a lot...
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

Let's get it!

That's where I think our biggest advantage to sustained success is. There's a lot of talent in East Texas. You get the right combo going for a good run and you can knock the wind out of everyone else's sails while you snag good FCS players and FBS tweeners/transfers.
I think Conque really missed the mark with this. To me and a few other SFA alum I talked to we believe he abandoned the east texas schools when recruiting.

There is a stud WR out of Longview and he has three offers from Southland schools. He reminds me a lot of Tony Tompkins. I was talking with a parent from another east Texas school that is only about an hour from Nac and he said that SFA coaches haven't been up there but Northwestern State, Lamar, ACU, and HBU have been out there recruiting. You can throw a dart in hit anywhere within an hour and there is talent there and SFA has been missing it. I see a lot of people talking about how he needs to recruit the Houston and Dallas area but there is a lot of talent right in our own backyard.

Anyways, I'm excited about the hire. Can't wait to see what he does with his staff. I think it would be hard to keep any of the coaches from the previous staff.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Almost all his Commerce staff I saw at the reception at the Fredonia which was really 1st class... I was impressed with everything the Ath Dept. did.. Coaches werent saying they were coming to SFA just that they were there supporting Coach Carthel.. I talked to coach May whom is the QB coach.. I liked him a lot...

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of his coordinators get the Commerce job, along with some of the other coaches staying if that happened.

So we'll likely need to fill in a few staff spots, at the least.
SFAJack_76
I did not know this was a thing, but sounds positive.

TallTexan
Looks like the right place to start.
cboothe09
Recruiting an OC?
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Recruiting an OC?
If that's the case, his OC would have to be willing to take a decent paycut.
cboothe09
With all the perks he has there, it would have been a pay cut for him to be our HC
SFAJack_76
Coach taking in a little high school playoff in Lufkin. Newton is good. Really good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.