Colby Carthel

63,212 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm wondering what kind of offense Carthel will run here.
I'm commerce he ran a spread run to win a natty, but his QB still lead D2 in touchdown passes. I'd like to see that here. Not a true air raid because it relies on the quarterback actually making decisions, but we spread the ball around enough we can do a lot of different things.
SFAXE93
He was hitting all the East Texas high school playoffs games in the area last night.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

So I'm wondering what kind of offense Carthel will run here.
I'm commerce he ran a spread run to win a natty, but his QB still lead D2 in touchdown passes. I'd like to see that here. Not a true air raid because it relies on the quarterback actually making decisions, but we spread the ball around enough we can do a lot of different things.
I think a lot of it depends on the OC hire. But the hot thing in spread O, is the spread to run concepts. I think we could run something like UT runs. Use our advantage with WRs to open up the box a bit with a running QB and a decent run game.

Gives you the natural benefits of the spread while allowing you to eat time on some drives so that your D can rest.
SFAXE93
Interview on the radio yesterday

https://21153.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY_BENSKIN_P/media-session/55d02168-5486-4377-84f7-7153d6cc7480/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/ea9b8084-2aa9-4b00-8d9f-a78e0016ca3e/9c10ce8d-7b31-4186-81eb-a9ae016a1462/audio/direct/t1544133580/Colby_Carthel.mp3?t=1544133580
SFAJack_76
Great radio interview in the DFW area. Carthel is incredibly open and genuine.

SFAJack_76
Here's one assistant. D-line.

SFAJack_76
Matt Storm has "offensive coordinator @sfa_football" in his twitter profile.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Matt Storm has "offensive coordinator @sfa_football" in his twitter profile.
If we're getting Matt too I'm super excited. Makes me wonder about the Commerce job though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Former Rice HC David Bailiff will reportedly be named Carthel's replacement at A&M Commerce.
TallTexan
edstile said:

Former Rice HC David Bailiff will reportedly be named Carthel's replacement at A&M Commerce.

Dang. I think that's a mistake to not hire Storm, but I'll certainly take him as our OC.
SFAXE93
You would think Co-OC/Quarterback Coach Jared May will be joining as well.

He was on the SFA staff back in 2009 working with Shannon Dawson.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

You would think Co-OC/Quarterback Coach Jared May will be joining as well.

He was on the SFA staff back in 2009.

What did he coach when he was here?
SFAXE93
Inside receivers
SFAXE93
May also developed these guys into top Division II QBs

Tyrik Rollison

Harrison Stewart

Luis Perez (Harlon Hill Trophy)
SFA Jack Fanatic
TCU had two coaches scouting the Newton vs. Dangerfield game in Lufkin last night. I'm sure they were primarily scouting Newton, which won 79-12. I wonder if we had anyone scouting there? Newton has a ton of talent (mostly seniors) and is right here in our backyard!
Jacks4460
edstile said:

TCU had two coaches scouting the Newton vs. Dangerfield game in Lufkin last night. I'm sure they were primarily scouting Newton, which won 79-12. I wonder if we had anyone scouting there? Newton has a ton of talent (mostly seniors) and is right here in our backyard!

Ed our new HC was there..
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

57-80 in 11 years at Rice. Interesting career move. Even more interesting pick by A&M-Commerce. Why not go with another up and comer? Rice has no business playing FBS level football. My opinion.
cboothe09
Newton has two players committed to TCU
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

57-80 in 11 years at Rice. Interesting career move. Even more interesting pick by A&M-Commerce. Why not go with another up and comer? Rice has no business playing FBS level football. My opinion.

My thoughts exactly. He wasn't great at Rice. I looked him up during our search. Maybe Commerce is hiring him for his Houston connections to donors? Just a weird, weird hire.
SFAXE93
edstile said:

My poor Tigers, worst loss in Daingerfield history.
cboothe09
At the risk of crossing a line, this could very well be the best 3A team of all-time. This team could be contending for a 4A-DI title...
SFAXE93
IMO this will always be the best 3A Team ever!

Funny that you would say that Newton would be contending for the 4A Championship, when in fact Daingerfield in 1983 actually defeated the Carthage Bulldogs (11-1) who went on to be in the 4A Semifinals that season and were 4 points away from going to the finals.

DAINGERFIELD, TIGERS (1983 3A Texas State Champions)
#2 most memorable team Pro, College, or High School (Dave Campbell's Texas Football 50th Edition)

RECORD 16-0
Outscored Opponents 631-8 (the 8 points we not allowed by the defense and were scored by 4A teams Kilgore on a safety and Carthage on a pick 6 which the Tigers got so pissed about, they blocked the extra point)
First Texas Team to go 16-0
14 shutouts (13 in a row) FHS National Record
Defense scored 76 points

DEFENSE
0 points allowed
Allowed fewer than 70 total yards a game
Allowed fewer than 56 yards in the championship game
No points allowed in the playoffs

Daingerfield: 10 Carthage 6
Daingerfield: 14 Gilmer 0
Daingerfield: 35 Kilgore 2
Daingerfield: 27 Linden-Kildare 0
Daingerfield: 76 Queen City 0
Daingerfield: 48 De Kalb 0
Daingerfield: 56 New Boston 0
Daingerfield: 42 Paul Pewitt 0
Daingerfield: 32 Hughes Springs 0
Daingerfield: 45 Hooks 0
Daingerfield: 43 Clarksville 0
PLAYOFFS
Daingerfield: 22 Robinson 0
Daingerfield: 46 Kaufman 0
Daingerfield: 51 Gladewater 0
Daingerfield: 42 Post 0
Daingerfield: 42 Sweeny 0

nacluth
Now that's a team!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

DEFENSE
0 points allowed
Allowed fewer than 70 total yards a game
Allowed fewer than 56 yards in the championship game
No points allowed in the playoffs

Daingerfield: 10 Carthage 6
Daingerfield: 14 Gilmer 0
Daingerfield: 35 Kilgore 2
Daingerfield: 27 Linden-Kildare 0
Daingerfield: 76 Queen City 0
Daingerfield: 48 De Kalb 0
Daingerfield: 56 New Boston 0
Daingerfield: 42 Paul Pewitt 0
Daingerfield: 32 Hughes Springs 0
Daingerfield: 45 Hooks 0
Daingerfield: 43 Clarksville 0
PLAYOFFS
Daingerfield: 22 Robinson 0
Daingerfield: 46 Kaufman 0
Daingerfield: 51 Gladewater 0
Daingerfield: 42 Post 0
Daingerfield: 42 Sweeny 0

Defense, Defense, Defense! (Impressive!)

But actually, I think you may be a bit too biased to do a fair comparison, 93...
SFAXE93
True, I graduated from Daingerfield High, but you don't have to hear it from me.

GO BIG BLUE!!!
SFAXE93
Scott Power is now aboard as the new DC for SFA.
https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=410&path=football

SFAJack_76
Faske is in Frisco. Don't know where the others are.

SFA Jack Fanatic
It's certainly All Hands on Deck on the recruiting trail, and they have to. Only seven days left to visit recruits. NLI early signing dates are December 19-21. It'll be interesting to see how many and who we get then.
cboothe09
Haha. That 83 team definitely holds a special place in HS football history. Never will there be a team that puts up those types of defensive numbers again.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Scott Power is now aboard as the new DC for SFA.
https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=410&path=football

Looks like we're getting the whole Commerce staff. Then. Storm & Power. Could you ask for better football names. Though they should switch sides. We could have the Power O and the Storm D.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

True, I graduated from Daingerfield High, but you don't have to hear it from me.

GO BIG BLUE!!!

I'll say this, I've never met a high school whose alumni are as proud of their football history as Dangerfield alum are.

That said, I hear from all sorts of people that the 83 team was one of the best, even if some say it begrudgingly.
SFAXE93
Yep Jared May aboard

Stephen F. Austin: Source tells FootballScoop the following assistants will come at this time with Colby Carthel from A&M Commerce: Matt Storm (offensive coordinator), Jared May (quarterbacks), Scott Power (defensive coordinator) and Caid Faske (defensive line).
TallTexan
What's the though on the rest of the guys? Is that just who we've signed so far, or is the thought that the others may be staying/looking elsewhere?
BigJack85
I'm interested in what kind of salary packages these assistants are getting. I know SFA is considered an attractive job in FCS but I'm surprised at the quality of folks Carthel seems to have attracted.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Storm & Power were making 70 & 69k at Commerce, respectively. I believe that a coordinator position at SFA paid around 90k last I checked, so a healthy raise for them both, plus a higher profile job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.