Colby Carthel

62,743 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Couldn't agree more HSB.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

who is going to this tomorrow?? 76 are you gonna be there??

Don't know how to post a picture..

Presser 2pm Student Center
Meet and greet 3pm Fredonia

I will not be able to go. Previous commitment that I have to keep.
SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

I think we made the best improvement to the team in 5 years by hiring our new head coach. He has proven he can win. I agree with all those who say our OL and DL have to get better.

In order to get them better we have to get strength and conditioning in place. We also need a NUTRITION program. We dont have one. Not at all. Nothing. Can not expect guys that are 6'6 to be the right weight and have the strength they need to play against good teams if they dont eat right and work on strength right.

I really hope Ivey does not stop with a good head coach and finishes the rest of the pieces so we can enjoy the whole pie.
It is with great confidence that I say that Ivey is very clear that the right HC is only one part of the whole package needed for success. Probably all of us will want the pace of change to go faster, but it will happen.
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

I think we made the best improvement to the team in 5 years by hiring our new head coach. He has proven he can win. I agree with all those who say our OL and DL have to get better.

In order to get them better we have to get strength and conditioning in place. We also need a NUTRITION program. We dont have one. Not at all. Nothing. Can not expect guys that are 6'6 to be the right weight and have the strength they need to play against good teams if they dont eat right and work on strength right.

I really hope Ivey does not stop with a good head coach and finishes the rest of the pieces so we can enjoy the whole pie.

As someone who's 6'4. I second this. It would be a full time job for me to get to college lineman weight with the right eating program. Putting the right kind of weight on big guys is not an easy task. Take a look at Texas over the last two years, there are plenty of stories of guys adding or losing 30 pounds in an offseason to be at their playing weights. And that was with the resources UT has.

I knew a guy in college who was trying to make an NFL roster as a 6'5 lineman. He was 290 but needed to get to 310 and was eating 6k calories a day to try to add 20 pounds over a year.

If we're going to win, it'll be an all out effort from coaching, recruiting, and development. Got to get a good nutrition program up and running.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

HitSomeBody said:

As someone who's 6'4. I second this. It would be a full time job for me to get to college lineman weight with the right eating program. Putting the right kind of weight on big guys is not an easy task. Take a look at Texas over the last two years, there are plenty of stories of guys adding or losing 30 pounds in an offseason to be at their playing weights. And that was with the resources UT has.

I knew a guy in college who was trying to make an NFL roster as a 6'5 lineman. He was 290 but needed to get to 310 and was eating 6k calories a day to try to add 20 pounds over a year.

If we're going to win, it'll be an all out effort from coaching, recruiting, and development. Got to get a good nutrition program up and running.
Ryan said nutrition is at the top of his list 100%... He will get this part handled..
SFAJack_76

ACUCattitude
Congrats on your new HC. I know I said Carthel wasn't a good fit for ACU but he's a great fit for SFA. This league has gotten a lot tougher!!
TallTexan
For those interested in the introductory presser.

https://www.facebook.com/SFAFootball/videos/362263187917129/
TallTexan
Hard to read on the Facebook live feed, but looks like Carthel's dad was a Jack.
TallTexan
Carthel thanks his smoking hot wife(his words), notes that she can outshoot him lol.
TallTexan
Carthel notes that he's "our football coach", mentions that it's going to take faculty, staff, students, alumni, and all of East Texas to build a winner.

Gives a shoutout to Armundo, the maintenance guy at TAMU-Commerce who maintained the facilities for football. Said Armundo believed from in him from day 1.

They spent a day in Nac on their way to interview, stopped on campus and talked to students. Went to Walmart/Clear Springs.
TallTexan
Says his staff will be role models for young men, each and every day.
TallTexan
Mentions that he and Jeremiah Trotter have a history, he's disliked him for 23 years. In 1995, Jeremiah beat him in Discus at the state meet. Says he forgives Jeremiah now.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

Carthel thanks his smoking hot wife(his words), notes that she can outshoot him lol.
He channeled his inner Ricky Bobby. I was waiting to hear Walker & Texas Ranger for kid names after he introduced his wife.

TallTexan
His 2017 team won a national championship but also set a school record for GPA for the football team. Says they'll be champions on and off the field.

Mentions that they'll be involved in community service,notes that the team stopped in Port Aransas on the day after the Kingsville game and did over 400 hours of community service to help the community out.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

TallTexan said:

He channeled his inner Ricky Bobby. I was waiting to hear Walker & Texas Ranger for kid names after he introduced his wife.

Close, Major and Bear lol.
TallTexan
Says they're going to recruit the state, from East Texas on out. Says that if you live within 300 feet of a pine tree, you better be wearing purple.
TallTexan
Says winning starts today for SFA football. Notes that whoever fires Ol Cotton better be ready. Stock up on gunpowder.
TallTexan
Press conference is wrapped up, if you didn't get to watch, definitely take 20 minutes and watch Carthel's speech.
SFASawmillGuy
Alright. I'm hyped.
TallTexan
BigJack85
That was one of the most positive introductions I've ever seen. Really good. No question about how he is going to attack this.

Axe 'Em Jacks!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
AxeEm99
BigJack85, I totally agree. Right man for the job at the right time!
cboothe09
Any skepticism I had is gone. Very impressed with his presser and like his approach. Winning starts off the field and grows from there. I think he is going to be very good.
TallTexan
Watching the presser, I got the feeling from both he and Ivey that a national championship truly is the goal. Not occasionally making the playoffs, but much like basketball, setting the playoffs as the minimum expectation on any given year.

There's no reason an NDSU level program can't be built in the state of Texas, so why shouldn't we be the ones to build it?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Watching the presser, I got the feeling from both he and Ivey that a national championship truly is the goal. Not occasionally making the playoffs, but much like basketball, setting the playoffs as the minimum expectation on any given year.

There's no reason an NDSU level program can't be built in the state of Texas, so why shouldn't we be the ones to build it?

I too am optimistic but realistic .... there are two reasons we would struggle to MAINTAIN a NDSU type program over the long haul.

1). We are in Texas. FBS is the only level that counts. People I know that graduated from Texas A&M still consider us a D2 school not because of the 16 D1 sports we sponsor but because of the ONE D1aa program we sponsor. 2). $$$$$. We are woefully underfunded. We can win and be competitive and I expect us to win championships but sustained success. I'm skeptical.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Cat Herder
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I too am optimistic but realistic .... there are two reasons we would struggle to MAINTAIN a NDSU type program over the long haul.

1). We are in Texas. FBS is the only level that counts. People I know that graduated from Texas A&M still consider us a D2 school not because of the 16 D1 sports we sponsor but because of the ONE D1aa program we sponsor. 2). $$$$$. We are woefully underfunded. We can win and be competitive and I expect us to win championships but sustained success. I'm skeptical.
Ivey said in his introductory press conference that his goal is to make SFA the best mid-major in the country. We are either already there or close to being so in other sports and it can happen with FB as well (see '88, '89, '93, '95, etc).

I think more than a few alums and boosters are ready to jump on board if given a good reason to do so. If we put a winning product both on and off the field the $$$ will start to come in.

Sorry but I have to go and run through a brick wall now after watching that presser . . . . .

SFA '90
TallTexan
famousunknown said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Ivey said in his introductory press conference that his goal is to make SFA the best mid-major in the country. We are either already there or close to being so in other sports and it can happen with FB as well (see '88, '89, '93, '95, etc).

I think more than a few alums and boosters are ready to jump on board if given a good reason to do so. If we put a winning product both on and off the field the $$$ will start to come in.

Sorry but I have to go and run through a brick wall now after watching that presser . . . . .

SFA '90

Wear a helmet!
Bearkats94
I sure hope he brings what he says. Hopefully our rivalry will mean one of us is heading to a national championship in the future. Congratulations on a great coach. I know this sounds crazy coming from a Bearkat, I am tried of beating the crap out of y'all. Now let's have some Texas football.
SFAXE93
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

We need to make sure he gets a ranch outside of Nac if we start winning.
SFAXE93
At least 150 acres.
SFAXE93
We also need new updated football jerseys for the fans to buy.

this

or this

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

At least 150 acres.

300 so he doesn't leave.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.