Colby Carthel

62,742 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think it is time to move from the head coach search thread to the soon to be new head coach thread. Anything related to Carthel.

Beyond the introductory press conference Tuesday at 2:00 PM, we will have real interest in how Carthel and Ivey fill out the team. Will it be "Texas as hell", or will it be filled with some from beyond the borders? Will Carthel bring any of his A&M-Commerce staff with him?

This should be fun.

OldSchool
We are off and running. New head coach in place, hope he can find a place for coach Byrd on his staff. I believe he could be a great D coach. Hopefully this change will help with recruiting and bring in some much needed help to get us back on track.

I for one am excited about new chapter and look forward to getting back in the Southland Conference race again.

SFAJack_76
OC and Assistant Head Coach at A&M-Commerce. Came with Carthel from West Texas A&M. College at East Central University in Ada, OK.

https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=428&path=football

A&M-Commerce DC. Not from Texas. Less than a year with Carthel.

https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=457&path=football

Came with Carthel from West Texas A&M. Spent two years on the staff at SFA prior to that.

https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=429&path=football

Also has a West Texas A&M tie, but more recently than Carthel.

https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=439&path=football

Does he follow his son?

https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=441&path=football
SFAXE93

SFAJack_76
BigJack85
I feel like we will be back in play in a couple years.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Good read about the turnaround at Fresno State. They just finished 11-2 with a win over Boise State for the MW championship.

https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article216216510.html
SFAJack_76
Well, this is good.

SFAJack_76
Athletic department working some OT.

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
"Ready to win championships and build men of character"
Like the sound of that....let's do this
TallTexan
Ivey and the whole department are running a full court press on selling this. Impressive work on their part.
drhuggybear
That is some great PR for the hire. Generating a lot of buzz. Hopefully it Coach Carthel can right the ship.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
BigJack85
Jeff/Dr Huggy,

I don't see it getting worse ..... I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not ready to predict a complete turnaround but I wouldn't be surprised if we won 6 games next year.
Bighamp
Great hire!! I know many of the players and they are excited as well!
Congratulations, Mr. Ivey. you have done us very proud!!

SFAJack_76
Not done yet.

TallTexan
Seeing all these shoutouts from well known coaches makes me think that the AD has known for a while that Carthel was their number one choice. They've done a good job of promoting this.

MasterAxe
Not to put any pressure on him, BUT...

Eric Morris at UIW: Playoffs in 1st Year
Mike Shultz at Lamar: Playoffs in 2nd Year
Tim Rebowe at Nicholls - Two Playoffs in Four Years

A quick turnaround can happen. I'm not saying we should be in the playoffs next year...but, I think we should be in the top portion of the SLC.

I'd take 6-5, 7-4 right now, in a heartbeat.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

A quick turnaround can happen. I'm not saying we should be in the playoffs next year...but, I think we should be in the top portion of the SLC.

I think our turn around mostly hinges on developing guys to play in the trenches. A good Oline/DLine is key.

Better nutrition/strength training will go a long way in that regard, but also requires solid coaching and recruiting.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

I don't want to sound pessimistic, because I'm not. I think this is a home run hire and I certainly hope we have a super quick turnaround. I think we have the talent for it as long as the guys buy in. But one or two seasons is a HUGE rarity for a coach to do at the college level. Usually it takes 3-4 seasons just for the coach to get the recruits he needs to successfully run his team.
I have no doubt coach Carthel will do great things though. He's a national championship caliber coach and I'm hoping that he will build SFA into a national championship caliber team! Axe'em!
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

MasterAxe said:

I don't want to sound pessimistic, because I'm not. I think this is a home run hire and I certainly hope we have a super quick turnaround. I think we have the talent for it as long as the guys buy in. But one or two seasons is a HUGE rarity for a coach to do at the college level. Usually it takes 3-4 seasons just for the coach to get the recruits he needs to successfully run his team.
I have no doubt coach Carthel will do great things though. He's a national championship caliber coach and I'm hoping that he will build SFA into a national championship caliber team! Axe'em!
I agree with you, I think it's unrealistic to expect playoffs in year 1...BUT, UIW did it, so it can be done,

Again, if you told me we would win 6/7 games next year, I would take it in a heartbeat
SfaFan15
At this point, for me personally, a playoff spot next year would be amazing. But, realistically I'm hoping he can fill out his staff quickly, land some solid recruits, and get us to 6+ wins and maybe a dub against Sam next year.
BigJack85
Tall has it dead on. Got to get the Offensive Line in shape. Defensive Line needs help also.....
sfajack05
I like the hire.

Hope he recruits the hell out of east Texas and quit letting the talent go to other southland schools.
TallTexan
TallTexan
Speculation that his OC might get the commerce job.

SFAJack_76
That would be no surprise since he came with Carthel from West Texas A&M. They need to be recruiting hard, and having him on board would help a lot.
TallTexan
Yep, makes me wonder the who & when in regards to our staff though.

Getting a good OC is likely our next biggest hire given Carthel's defensive chops. Followed by a solid OLine coach.
SFAJack_76
Well, the Jimbo quote was a stretch. He met Carthel and knows he won a national championship. Yippee.
Bearkats94
Congrats on y'all new coach. I think I said a while back after the Sam and SFA game I wish SFA would go after him. I hope y'all win it all but against us, we need a stronger showing in the SLC and I think he will bring great things to Nac. I think one of the best things about him is he already has ty's with coaches in the area which should benefit y'all greatly.
Jacks4460
who is going to this tomorrow?? 76 are you gonna be there??

Don't know how to post a picture..

Presser 2pm Student Center
Meet and greet 3pm Fredonia
HitSomeBody
I think we made the best improvement to the team in 5 years by hiring our new head coach. He has proven he can win. I agree with all those who say our OL and DL have to get better.

In order to get them better we have to get strength and conditioning in place. We also need a NUTRITION program. We dont have one. Not at all. Nothing. Can not expect guys that are 6'6 to be the right weight and have the strength they need to play against good teams if they dont eat right and work on strength right.

I really hope Ivey does not stop with a good head coach and finishes the rest of the pieces so we can enjoy the whole pie.
Axe'Em Jacks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.