Lamar

26,190 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bighamp
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The VIP experience tent needed better publicity..... I agree that Jake and Sawyer got put in a bad situation but I disagree that this would have been a competitive team. It all begins at the Offensive and Defensive lines. We need help on both lines. More on the O-Line than anything. Jeff Byrd appears to be a good man. Unfortunately he'll be tied to the Conque era. That may be hard to escape. We need a fresh start and accept that next year will be a rebuilding year. That doesn't mean we can't be in the mix by this time next year. If anyone remembers the John Pearce era .... it didnt take long before we were in the middle of a conference title race.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
VIP is a work in progress. The first one was by invitation.
SFAXE93
Boy, I remember when Coach Pearce came to SFA from Texas A&M in 1992, taking over for Lynn Graves after only 3 wins in the last two seasons for the Jacks.

With DC Gene Chizik by his side things took off to new heights.

They didn't win any conference championships but they did start winning and they were pretty much competitive in every game.

From 1993 to 1997 SFA had a 40-16-2 record and was nationally ranked every week for all 5 seasons.

It really changed the outlook on football at SFA during that time.

1990: 1-10-0 Lynn Graves
1991: 2-8-1 Lynn Graves

1992: 3-8-0 John Pearce
1993: 8-4-0 John Pearce (FCS 1st Round)
1994: 6-3-2 John Pearce
1995: 11-2-0 John Pearce (FCS Semi Finals) #4 Ranking
1996: 7-4-0 John Pearce
1997: 8-3-0 John Pearce
1998: 3-8-0 John Pearce (46-32-2; .588; Conf. 24-20-1; .544) Went on to an assistant coaching job at UCLA.

In his second season in 1993 they took it to the FCS bigs and made the playoffs
W: Youngstown State 35-15
W: @Boise State 30-7

Against our rivals that season
W: SHSU 24-20
W: Texas State 29-7
W: Northwestern State 51-20

T: @Youngstown State 10-10
W: Cal State Sacramento 40-15

W: SHSU 42-6
W: Texas State 24-19
W: Northwestern State 34-17

W: Northern Iowa 26-7
W: Youngstown State 27-0
FCS PLAYOFFS
W: Eastern Illinois 34-29
W:@Appalachian State 27-17

W: SHSU 38-22
W: Texas State 50-21
W: Northwestern State 25-20

W: Troy State 13-10
W: Samford 43-14

L: SHSU 10-14
L: Texas State 19-31
L: Northwestern State 10-17

W: New Hampshire 17-14
W: @Troy State 20-13
W: Jacksonville State 41-15

L: SHSU 28-33
W: Texas State 31-28
L: Northwestern State 24-38

W: Troy State 21-14

W: SHSU 38-7
L: Texas State 7-14
L: Northwestern State 21-35

Back then Lumberjack fans were in the mind set that their team was going to win.

Would love to see a return to that culture.

RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

VIP is a work in progress. The first one was by invitation.
They should have invited more - there's no better publicity than a large crowd seeing a packed tent that creates demand when it opens for everyone. Most in our section wondered what the empty tent was there for - even a PA announcement would have been good.

BTW, rewatched the game because I like punishment - the ref crew was incompetent on both sides. Some calls or lack of were pretty mind blowing
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
Definitely need a program builder.
SFAJack_76
That tent Saturday is not the vision for the future. It had been donated and was used to help start the discussion. Three of these in the south end zone is the vision:

https://letsgopeay.com/news/2017/7/19/athletics-APSU-Athletics-boxLIFE-team-up-to-provide-new-seating-area-at-Fortera-Stadium.aspx

Notice that they are portable, so they could be moved to other venues as desired.

I don't know how many were invited Saturday. A large number of people came down from other parts of the stadium around or shortly after halftime. I am confident that more than fifty people cycled through there. (At 6,300, on a beautiful fall day, that had to be the poorest attended Homecoming game in years.)

As has been stated many times by many others, for SFA to approach achieving the vision of being the best mid-major program in the country, significant improvement in dollars raised through various means must happen. SFA is on the lower end of the SLC for goodness sake. The one-off large donations for major capital projects is one piece. The ongoing improvements and costs in nutrition, S&C, practice facilities, weight rooms, lockers, coaches salaries, etc. requires different thinking to bring in a steady flow of money to support. Varsity Club is a part. Getting a student fee is a part. Ticket pricing is a part.

Led by Ivey, we have a new team with energy and new ideas. I believe they are being supported by the university administration. I am confident they understand that visible progress needs to be seen quickly to generate interest and enthusiasm. I know they need our support with feedback, ideas, and, yes, money.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

That tent Saturday is not the vision for the future. It had been donated and was used to help start the discussion. Three of these in the south end zone is the vision:

https://letsgopeay.com/news/2017/7/19/athletics-APSU-Athletics-boxLIFE-team-up-to-provide-new-seating-area-at-Fortera-Stadium.aspx

Notice that they are portable, so they could be moved to other venues as desired.

I don't know how many were invited Saturday. A large number of people came down from other parts of the stadium around or shortly after halftime. I am confident that more than fifty people cycled through there. (At 6,300, on a beautiful fall day, that had to be the poorest attended Homecoming game in years.)

As has been stated many times by many others, for SFA to approach achieving the vision of being the best mid-major program in the country, significant improvement in dollars raised through various means must happen. SFA is on the lower end of the SLC for goodness sake. The one-off large donations for major capital projects is one piece. The ongoing improvements and costs in nutrition, S&C, practice facilities, weight rooms, lockers, coaches salaries, etc. requires different thinking to bring in a steady flow of money to support. Varsity Club is a part. Getting a student fee is a part. Ticket pricing is a part.

Led by Ivey, we have a new team with energy and new ideas. I believe they are being supported by the university administration. I am confident they understand that visible progress needs to be seen quickly to generate interest and enthusiasm. I know they need our support with feedback, ideas, and, yes, money.
I applaud all you said, and you have to start the change, but here's my feedback --- as a season ticket holder, I sit by two longtime, current, alumni board officers and private company owners - they had no idea the purpose of the tent or what vision was or wasn't in place. That should be a red flag on communication strategies currently in place. Only 50 is abysmal from perception, especially when you have 6300 positive impressions that could have been made as to a purpose, need, and vision. And if it was invite only - include your FB Season ticket holders - we're not a large number and we're the ones that have shown we will spend money on football and the university, albeit not millions but we still support. Invite us as a thank you for supporting FB and sorry about the cancelation of the first game against Tarleton (I assume my refund is not in the mail, but I knew that going in). We're where the foundation and funnel of the non-one-time large donations will come from, but we're a forgotten audience. Other than getting to sit in the seats we paid for, we really get no other acknowledgement from the athletic department - new ideas are great and welcomed as long as they include a revamped plan for internal strategies - but the lack of information or purpose of something as simple as a tent at the game (which BTW, blocked the firing of Ole Cotton from 75% of the audience) shows that the existing internal audiences haven't been a concern in the past - and that should always be opportunity #1 in any communications plan - hopefully that's what the new team will change.
Lumberjack Battalion
BigJack85
Good words to consider.... I think your thoughts need to have a high priority going forward.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Bighamp
I can't hold out any longer----
WOW. Yesterday, I watched the worst exhibition of play calling I have seen. The 1st half was the worst play calling EVER!
The Offense Coordinator does not deserve another day calling plays for this offense! Horrible!!
Six defenders in the box and still try to run up the middle. Inexcusable. They play musical chairs with the WR's and RB'S all game. Why put in different receivers in the game and don't throw to them??? (Audible anyone??)
What happened to all those experienced WR's we had that don't play anymore??
The Offense Coordinator is way out of his league. PERIOD. Try a 1A school and work your up. Mr. Ivey are you listening??
We had a chance to watch and listen to the reactions of a couple of football recruits not good.
The question was will the O. CoordinatorS be there next year? NO WAY!!!
MORE LATER----
SFAJack_76
My intent by suggesting "feedback," was direct to the athletic department, preferably to Ivey. He is very approachable and will listen. He was everywhere this weekend. His contact information is posted on the SFA web site.
Jacks4460
Quote:

Quote:

I applaud all you said, and you have to start the change, but here's my feedback --- as a season ticket holder, I sit by two longtime, current, alumni board officers and private company owners - they had no idea the purpose of the tent or what vision was or wasn't in place. That should be a red flag on communication strategies currently in place. Only 50 is abysmal from perception, especially when you have 6300 positive impressions that could have been made as to a purpose, need, and vision. And if it was invite only - include your FB Season ticket holders - we're not a large number and we're the ones that have shown we will spend money on football and the university, albeit not millions but we still support. Invite us as a thank you for supporting FB and sorry about the cancelation of the first game against Tarleton (I assume my refund is not in the mail, but I knew that going in). We're where the foundation and funnel of the non-one-time large donations will come from, but we're a forgotten audience. Other than getting to sit in the seats we paid for, we really get no other acknowledgement from the athletic department - new ideas are great and welcomed as long as they include a revamped plan for internal strategies - but the lack of information or purpose of something as simple as a tent at the game (which BTW, blocked the firing of Ole Cotton from 75% of the audience) shows that the existing internal audiences haven't been a concern in the past - and that should always be opportunity #1 in any communications plan - hopefully that's what the new team will change.
All good points men.. This was something that was put up to help sell boxes next year to Varsity Club members..
I wish people would join the Varsity Club that is the best way to get tickets and all the info you need. We have a new group of leaders in our Ath Department and they will get things right. We need everyones support in the Varsity Club.. This is how we will get better amenities for our student athletes.. Here is what our boxes will look like. I wish I could attach an image.. how do I?

PurpleOut
Staff
As 76 mentioned, the tent was a test run and was used to pitch to the overall idea to our higher ups. Higher than the average season ticket holder. So it wasn't intended to be publicized or communicated to everyone. Assuming it went well for those that were invited down there, it should lead to some awesome aspects to add to the gameday environment. Which needs a huge shot in the arm. I'm all for it.

I had a great time this weekend, the weather for tailgating under the trees couldn't have been any better. Meh for the game, but sadly that was my expectation so it didn't bother me as it normally would.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

As 76 mentioned, the tent was a test run and was used to pitch to the overall idea to our higher ups. Higher than the average season ticket holder. So it wasn't intended to be publicized or communicated to everyone. Assuming it went well for those that were invited down there, it should lead to some awesome aspects to add to the gameday environment. Which needs a huge shot in the arm. I'm all for it.

I had a great time this weekend, the weather for tailgating under the trees couldn't have been any better. Meh for the game, but sadly that was my expectation so it didn't bother me as it normally would.

That highlights my point. Im not just speaking about the tent. Perhaps the real movement will happen when it is realized that in order for the program to ever move forward, 'buy-in' needs to come from more than just testing 'higher-ups' on game day experience strategies. I glad they're trying something, but they're taking an expensive chance if that's the only people they're getting input from, and so far that been the case. But I'm 100% supporting doing something, just suggesting they get broader input. I did marketing and game day promotions for San Fran Giants organization in my younger years so I get a little fired up on the topic
Lumberjack Battalion
SFASawmillGuy
I know this doesn't belong here. But UIW took Sammy to the woodshed.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I know this doesn't belong here. But UIW took Sammy to the woodshed.

That belongs everywhere tbh.
Bighamp
Terrible game last week. We couldn't run the ball and the play calling was like watching paint dry. We don't throw to the WR' s at all. Ever heard of a tight end??

Oh yea we had a bye last week--- never mind!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.