Central Arkansas

26,705 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by UCABEARS75
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (1-4; 1-3) vs. #16 Central Arkansas (3-2; 2-1)

WHEN: OCT. 13 (SAT.) 2:00 P.M.
WHERE: HOMER BRYCE STADIUM
TV: Eleven Sports http://southlanddigitalnetwork.com/

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
Checked the weather to see if maybe there would be a forecast of hours and hours of lightning. But no, looks like great football weather. Oh well.
MasterAxe
Was going to come to the game.

Nope. I'll save my money.

I'm much more comfortable watching us get blasted from my couch.

I wish it wasn't this way, but it is.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

Was going to come to the game.

Nope. I'll save my money.

I'm much more comfortable watching us get blasted from my couch.

I wish it wasn't this way, but it is.

I feel the same it was a total waste of money and time today..
MasterAxe
If anyone questions how coaching can turn around a program quickly, just look at incarnate word.

They brought in a young, innovative coach who brought with him a creative coaching staff and they're going to be in first place in the SLC.

They're no more talented than SFA is, they're just better coached.

If Ivey hits on a coach, we can turn this around quickly.
SFAXE93
These coaching search committee firms that ADs hire are amazing on how they identify and couple coaches with the right programs.

It's so E-Harmony
SFAXE93
I think we bounce back against UCA, as we always seem to have that one win each season when we are not suppose to.
AxeEm99
We may indeed beat UCA, because they will not take us seriously after the game yesterday...
BigJack85
Master. Well said!!! Agree 100%. They are vaguely the same team as us talent wise. Last year proved it. You don't see that huge of a talent swing in one season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
We could've beaten Sam. We can beat UCA. Hopefully being at home in front of a nationally televised tiny crowd will motivate these guys to win.
drhuggybear
We will be there. I am hoping for a rebound game after this weekend with sam. I am looking forward to the game but I think that has more to do with pre-game ceremonies than the game itself
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
HitSomeBody
Y'all should read my post on the Sam game thread page 6. I think UCA is going to be very very tough to win. Our team has the wrong attitude and no identity. So much so that Ivey addressed the team after the game about it.
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
HitSomeBody thanks again for your input sir.. It is appreciated... I really feel Ryan is gonna get this ship sailing int he right direction...
SFAJack_76
I hope for the usual big crowd this Saturday to show support for the players. The weather should be great.
RedRiverLa
So this weekend, the Lumberjack Battalion will be sending their two top raider teams to compete in The Ranger Challenge at Ft. Hood. It's a brutal competition with events you can't imagine concluding with a 12
Mile Ruck march for time. Rucks are their packs loaded down with equipment that most of us couldn't pick up. This is my son's 3rd year to do it - he's a senior cadet
Major. They train for 9 months. Up at 4 am 6 days a week on top of school and commitments. Certainly more
hours than football. if you're up that early you may see them running around campus. They routinely beat Texas A&M, TCU, Sam, Oklahoma and more at the Ranger Challenge. And after this semester, the seniors will deploy. My point on a football thread? Being the best all comes down to leadership, passion, and unwavering effort especially when the odds arent in your favor. I've only been following SFA football in-depth for 4 years now, and I have never seen it. Not in the coaches, players, or staff- maybe here and there, but nothing to write
Home about. I hope Ivey brings that. Before each of their respective seasons begin, 3 teams have come to the ROTC program to be put through a weekend of their training- albeit a modified version. Women's and men's basketball, volleyball and last year women's soccer and softball. Baseball just did it last week. Look at those teams and compare the attitude to football. Perhaps the football team should come, I guarantee you, they wouldn't be allowed to b$&@(, moan, or complain during that time. They might learn about something bigger than the individual. And when I say them I'm not indicting the players - they need to be led beyond just pregame speeches. , Ok, that's my rant. I guess I just get frustrated when I see our coach looking away at the other end, and our players giving up. Maybe ROTC could help them understand what team sacrifice really is. Ok, now I'm done. I'm looking forward to being in the stands this weekend and cheering for the jacks. AxeEm Jacks and Be The Best Lumberjack Battalion!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAXE93
I didn't know that about the Lumberjack Battalion, something to be proud of as a Lumberjack. Thanks for sharing.
SFAJack_76
Great stuff on the Lumberjack Battalion. Kudos to your son and thanks for his upcoming service. We have some great non-sport groups at SFA. I saw tweets for both baseball and softball last week with the ROTC women and men. They were putting in the work.

Saw a replay of the weekly coaches press conference today. Byrd looked tired and sounded almost defeated. He ended up in an almost no win situation. I wonder if he ever wanted to be "the guy." It is so much different than being an assistant. Your observations about Byrd on Saturday are almost exactly what Harper was doing his last year. It was frustrating and demoralizing.

SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

Great stuff on the Lumberjack Battalion. Kudos to your son and thanks for his upcoming service. We have some great non-sport groups at SFA. I saw tweets for both baseball and softball last week with the ROTC women and men. They were putting in the work.

Saw a replay of the weekly coaches press conference today. Byrd looked tired and sounded almost defeated. He ended up in an almost no win situation. I wonder if he ever wanted to be "the guy." It is so much different than being an assistant. Your observations about Byrd on Saturday are almost exactly what Harper was doing his last year. It was frustrating and demoralizing.

I'm sure Byrd's demeanor was based solely on the fact that he knew he was coaching for his job, as was the rest of the staff, and when Sam could not stop catching breaks and scoring, he saw his job disappear. He's gonna finish the season, but that was it for him and I'd say most, if not all the current staff at SFA.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

Thanks. Most of them are also serving in the guard or reserves while they are at SFA. And they know how to pack powder to get the refs to hold up the game for smoke at HJB! You're right about Byrd - exhausted.
Lumberjack Battalion
Jacks4460
Red river thanks for the post you are so right in everything you said.thanks to your son and his buddies for their upcoming service... I love our military..
SFAJack_76
The media folks are really stretching for anything. This made me chuckle.

"For the 12th time in program history, SFA will be taking to the gridiron for competition on Oct. 13. The 'Jacks own a 5-6 (.454) record on the date with SFA's most recent Oct. 13 game taking place in 2007, a narrow 17-16 loss to Nicholls inside Homer Bryce Stadium. Playing on the date just three times since 1984, the 'Jacks last Oct. 13 triumph came in 2001 when SFA notched a 44-37 overtime victory over Jacksonville State in Nacogdoches. The Lumberjacks' first game on the date was held in 1933, a 26-0 loss at Southwest Texas State, now Texas State."

I bet we have a good record on blue moons.
HitSomeBody
Here is something interesting about Coach Byrd and the offense. After the game my son was walking off the field and Byrd asked "So how did it feel to get your feet wet today" My son's reply was "coach... I did not play". His response was "oh really.. ummm. ok"

When the offense is on the field coach Byrd is not paying attention. He is when defense is out there. I guess that is the inexperience of not ever being a HC.

My son stayed with us and we took him back to campus on Sunday. During the trip home I learned that all the coaches are well liked by the players and all the players think they are great at motivation and getting everyone pumped to play. He said the issue on offense is during the game we don't understand why we try some of the plays we try because when the guys come off the field we tell them which way they are pulling or pushing us or when they bull rush verse sitting back for runs. We tell the coaches and it gets sent upstairs. Then we go back out and again get plays that don't make sense.

I figure that as far as relationships and motivation it sounds like all the coaches are good at it. What is lacking is the players faith in what is being called on the field.

I remember my football days and if you did not believe in the coach's game plan then every play in the back of your mind you were thinking "yah this ain't going to work" then when the ball was snapped it didn't.
Axe'Em Jacks
Froggy
HSB, I appreciate your comments and those from your son. I'm glad to hear that he respects, and finds his O coaches motivated and still committed in spite of the coaching changes. What concerns me is the communication going on between the field and the "box". I'll be at the game Saturday and we'll probably run into each other. Tell you son to keep working, watching and stay physical.
HitSomeBody
By the way, is the UCA game going to start at 2p.m. or 3p.m. I have seen both times on different site schedules. We will be there and I want to know which time is kick-off?
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
2pm is official.

SFAJack_76
Moved kickoff up to 2:00 for TV.
SFASawmillGuy
HitSomeBody said:

By the way, is the UCA game going to start at 2p.m. or 3p.m. I have seen both times on different site schedules. We will be there and I want to know which time is kick-off?

Yeah I feel like past the one post about it, SFA has not done a good job of promoting the fact that this is a nationally televised game. Not in a particularly huge channel but in a nationally syndicated one.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

"For the 12th time in program history, SFA will be taking to the gridiron for competition on Oct. 13. The 'Jacks own a 5-6 (.454) record on the date with SFA's most recent Oct. 13 game taking place in 2007, a narrow 17-16 loss to Nicholls inside Homer Bryce Stadium. Playing on the date just three times since 1984, the 'Jacks last Oct. 13 triumph came in 2001 when SFA notched a 44-37 overtime victory over Jacksonville State in Nacogdoches. The Lumberjacks' first game on the date was held in 1933, a 26-0 loss at Southwest Texas State, now Texas State."

I agree. How about this creative writing from the Pine Log. Apparently we're still questing for a title.

"Fresh off their 33-point loss to the Sam Houston State University Bearkats in the 93rd Battle of the Piney Woods, the SFA Lumberjacks' quest for a title continues as they prepare to host the high-powered University of Central Arkansas Bears in a must-win matchup Saturday afternoon between the hills of Homer Bryce Stadium."
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
It's Don Quixote-esque. Still on our quest...
SFASawmillGuy
RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I agree. How about this creative writing from the Pine Log. Apparently we're still questing for a title.

"Fresh off their 33-point loss to the Sam Houston State University Bearkats in the 93rd Battle of the Piney Woods, the SFA Lumberjacks' quest for a title continues as they prepare to host the high-powered University of Central Arkansas Bears in a must-win matchup Saturday afternoon between the hills of Homer Bryce Stadium."

That's actually hilarious.
drhuggybear
What channel is it on again?

Nevermind - finally found it buried in my DirectTV Guide. Channel 623 on DirectTV.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
It's gameday. Beat UCA!
Jacks4460
No doubt I gotta get up in 8 hours and drive to Nac..
SFAJack_76
What a great opportunity the team and staff have to put last week behind them and to do it at home. It is all about personal and team pride. Damn the doubters. AxeEm!
Jacks4460
I am with you!! AxeEm!! Have some pride boys..
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.