2018 NCAA Tournament

13,541 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
PurpleForever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting this thread with a look into our potential seeding if we get in. We need a lot of low seed upsets to help our cause. So far these are the teams that locked up a bid that i see being seeded lower than us.

1. Radford
2. Lipscomb
3. Iona
nacluth
You can add the Horizon winner whoever that is, and probably the MAAC (though their league winner could still qualify).
PurpleForever
4. LIU Brooklyn

Wright State should be ranked lower than us but I'm going to leave them off because I could see them getting in front of us.
nacluth
Wright State didn't have a single nonconference win of note, so even with the comparable record, I think we'll sneak by.
PurpleForever
nacluth said:

Wright State didn't have a single nonconference win of note, so even with the comparable record, I think we'll sneak by.

I agree and they definitely should be lower, hopefully the committee sees the same thing.
PurpleForever
5. Wright State
6. College of Charleston
nsubroski
I don't know if C of C would be lower then the SLC winner they usually play a pretty solid OOC schedule. Both the HBCU conferences would be lower obviously probably UNC-Greensboro too. A non ULL belt winner, and a non WKU/ ODU C-USA winner would be as well.
PurpleForever
nsubroski said:

I don't know if C of C would be lower then the SLC winner they usually play a pretty solid OOC schedule. Both the HBCU conferences would be lower obviously probably UNC-Greensboro too. A non ULL belt winner, and a non WKU/ ODU C-USA winner would be as well.

COC will be close but their OOC seemed very soft. If I remember correctly, Sam Houston was one of their better wins.
PurpleForever
7. North Carolina Central
8. UMBC
nacluth
Pencil in the SWAC and Big West winners. Is that 10? Does that get us to the 14 seed playing in Dallas because my spring break plans need to change.
BigJack85
There's a very good article in CBS sports about the formula for ranking seeds. It consists of about 12 factors from RPI, Ken Pom , Quadrant Wins, OOC etc. look to the article for an explanation of quadrant wins. It's way to much to cover here.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleForever
9. Cal State Fullerton
10. Texas Southern
PurpleForever
What are your brackets looking like as we get ready for tomorrow?
nacluth
I have a relatively upset free bracket this year which is odd for me.

My upsets are:
South Dakota St.
New Mexico St.
SFA
Butler
Texas
and Alabama as a 9 seed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
After Nevada beat Texas in OT, the TV cameras got to Nevada's locker room just in time to hear Nevada's coach Musselman drop two F-bombs during his "celebration" speech. The cameras were turned off quickly. Glad we have a classier coach than that!!!
TallTexan
edstile said:

After Nevada beat Texas in OT, the TV cameras got to Nevada's locker room just in time to hear Nevada's coach Musselman drop two F-bombs during his "celebration" speech. The cameras were turned off quickly. Glad we have a classier coach than that!!!
Both my teams are out now. But atleast SFA hasn't lost in the first weekend so many straight years with a roster full of NBA talent, looking at you UT.
cboothe09
Eight first round draft picks in nine years. Zero tourney wins...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Biggest upset in March Madness history! #16 Maryland Baltimore County over #1 Virginia 74-54. WOW!!!!!!!!!
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Eight first round draft picks in nine years. Zero tourney wins...

I think our recruiting pitches this offseason should include:

We're not being investigated.
We haven't squandered NBA talent.
TallTexan
edstile said:

Biggest upset in March Madness history! #16 Maryland Baltimore County over #1 Virginia 74-54. WOW!!!!!!!!!

UMBC put on a freaking clinic tonight. They were on fire.
sfa17
nacluth
Unbelievable. 20 points in the first half. 50 in the second. Unreal. Unreal shooting and what a total collapse defensively. I'm thinking this hurts my bracket.

SFASawmillGuy
UMBC was one of the worst tournament teams in history according to Kenpom and RPI. Virginia was #1 according to Kenpom. This was probably the biggest upset ever.
SFASawmillGuy
To put into perspective, UMBC lost to Albany 83-39 2 months ago.
Virginia has not allowed 70 points to be scored all season.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

Both my teams are out now. But atleast SFA hasn't lost in the first weekend so many straight years with a roster full of NBA talent, looking at you UT.
Shaka is not the answer. It will be interesting to see how the new AD handles it. My bet, one more season to get at least one tournament win.

Softball stinks also, but that is another story.
cboothe09
Louisville eying Shaka, along with Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, and Mike Cronin.

Texas looking at Chris Beard as a potential replacement...
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Louisville eying Shaka, along with Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, and Mike Cronin.

Texas looking at Chris Beard as a potential replacement...
I have numerous UT friends on Facebook. Almost to the man, they think Smart has been a massive failure and would love to see him hit the door.
cboothe09
Same here. Most UT friends want him gone, but all think the new AD gives him another year. Only way he leaves, is if it is by choice...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Texas Tech vs. Florida. Who ya got, guys? I was torn on this one. Wanting Tech to win, since they beat us, and a win would make us look better. Wanting Florida to win, since Tech beat us and I'd like to see them suffer because of it.

So... Go, Gators!
PurpleForever
edstile said:

Texas Tech vs. Florida. Who ya got, guys? I was torn on this one. Wanting Tech to win, since they beat us, and a win would make us look better. Wanting Florida to win, since Tech beat us and I'd like to see them suffer because of it.

So... Go, Gators!

Just saw this, but I'm going with Tech. They have the build to compete with anybody. Not saying they will win the championship. But if they got hot it wouldn't surprise me.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Same here. Most UT friends want him gone, but all think the new AD gives him another year. Only way he leaves, is if it is by choice...
I like him enough as a person to keep him around, but I sure hope he'll figure it out on the basketball side too. Not everyone can be SFA though, that's too high a standard to hold most teams to.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

So... Go, Gators!
Pulling for Tech. Old enough that I almost always pull for the Texas team.

Evans is an absolute stud.
RedRiverLa
UNC losing so bad, Roy Williams might even have to make his players go to class.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

UNC losing so bad, Roy Williams might even have to make his players go to class.
"Ain't come here to play school."

Different sport at a different university, but still fits.
nacluth
I know there's been a couple double digit seed matchups in the second round before, but seeing a #9 seed play a #16 seed just looks wrong. It's like someone was a little too drunk making up the brackets.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.