2023-2024 NCAA Women's Basketball

5,593 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of you following our former Ladyjacks who are now playing at WVU, some news updates for you:

Zya Nugent will be out for this upcoming season (yes , that is 2 in a row). She is having surgery on her Achilles. She plans to return to play for WVU next season. Prays and healing vibes sent to Zy....I wish her nothing but the best!
nacluth
I wish her the best too, but surely two years out of the game is going to have a huge impact. Sorry to hear that for her.
SFAJack_76
Zya had some real struggles rehabbing from the knee injury. I'm concerned for her. Wishing her the best.
SFA88
I was all set to come in here and say the GCU women got their butts kicked by Saint Mary's. Then they outscored Saint Mary's 24 to 5 in the fourth quarter and won on a last second 3.
SFA Jack Fanatic
#1 LSU WBB and their arrogant "star" player got their butts kicked in their first game by Colorado 92-78. I have to laugh at this one.
Pilotgirl
SFA88 said:

I was all set to come in here and say the GCU women got their butts kicked by Saint Mary's. Then they outscored Saint Mary's 24 to 5 in the fourth quarter and won on a last second 3.

GCU annoys me so much & I just don't know why.
SFA88
For me, it is because they have been D1 for about 7 years and there is a bunch of hype but they have never won anything (that's more the media's fault but still..). 2 years ago the Ladyjacks met them in the conference finals and won handily. Last year, the Ladyjacks lost in GCU Arena.

I'm used to thinking, "Oh that's cute these Gulf Star teams think they have a chance" or "Oh that's cute these southland teams think they have a chance." Yes, the Ladyjacks occasionally won the conference but lost in the tournament or had a couple of down years, but this is the first time where there are consistent threats in the conference. I put SUU in that bucket as well.
Pilotgirl
SFA88 said:

For me, it is because they have been D1 for about 7 years and there is a bunch of hype but they have never won anything (that's more the media's fault but still..). 2 years ago the Ladyjacks met them in the conference finals and won handily. Last year, the Ladyjacks lost in GCU Arena.

I'm used to thinking, "Oh that's cute these Gulf Star teams think they have a chance" or "Oh that's cute these southland teams think they have a chance." Yes, the Ladyjacks occasionally won the conference but lost in the tournament or had a couple of down years, but this is the first time where there are consistent threats in the conference. I put SUU in that bucket as well.

I definitely didn't like it when Miller refused to shake our hands a couple years back. Yes, it was the pandemic(and she used that excuse) but she had shook others hands during other games...she was royally pissed that we beat them.
nacluth
Jordan Harrison had 10 assists in West Virginia's takedown of Pitt today. Looks like she has some really capable offensive teammates that will make life easy for here there.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Jordan Harrison had 10 assists in West Virginia's takedown of Pitt today. Looks like she has some really capable offensive teammates that will make life easy for here there.

I watched it...was a great game!
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

SFA88 said:

GCU annoys me so much & I just don't know why.

In addition to the handshake refusal, she had a manager last year sitting behind our bench relaying our plays. She denied it, but it happened. She plays the pity game that she doesn't get calls because she's a small, blond female.

The hype is only for the men's team. They had very little support in Vegas for the WAC tournament. The men had really good support. When I asked one of their fans, he answered that it was a long drive from Phoenix, and people just couldn't take that much time off. From East Texas, we had more fans.
Pilotgirl
Ahhh, yes! I forgot about stealing the plays!
SFA88
I was not aware of the manager thing. I meant hype amongst the media. The only reason they had fans at the Saint Mary game is because it was Saint Mary and it was the first game of a double header with the men. Their WBB fans are a little like some of our SFA students. They only show up if it is on ESPN, a big name university, or one of the 3 state universities. It's possible the NAU women would have more fans there. There are lots and lots of NAU grads in Phoenix.

There will be fans there tonight because they play Oregon. The fans will show up to watch them get crushed.
SFAJack_76
17 home games for GCU women last season with an average attendance of 889. That includes 6,000 for their game vs Arizona State. Average home attendance for the other 16 games was about 570.
Pilotgirl
This is disgusting. Just 2 games?? Man should be unemployed. What a joke.
SFA Jack Fanatic
You don't often see an 80 point rout in games between two D-I teams. We had one yesterday. Baylor beat McNeese State 124-44. It's going to be a looong season for the Cowgirls.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree with you Pilotgirl that this man should be out of a job and blacklisted from coaching. How many young women has he terrorized and more by the acts that the PI report shows he committed. Of course he has the right to dispute and give his side of the story.....but if even only a portion of these incidents are proven to have taken place then the University has failed in it's job to protect the students.
Pilotgirl
Exactly! Imagine trying to recruit players with this history? Yuck all around.
SFAXE93
West Virginia 6-0

- Winners of the San Juan Shootout.

Jordan Harris

W 74-39 Loyola Maryland - PTS:18; REB:4; AST:3 (3-6 from 3)
W 71-62 @Pittsburgh - PTS:2; REB:6; AST:10; STL:7 (0-4 from 3)
W 94-40 Youngstown State - PTS:16; REB:5; AST:4; (3-3 from 3)
W 54-51 George Washington - PTS:6; REB:5; AST:3; STL:5 (0-2 from 3) San Juan
W 84-56 Charlotte - PTS:18; REB:4; AST:10; STL:1 (2-4 from 3) San Juan
W 73-55 Southern Illinois - PTS:17; REB:2; AST:5; STL:2 (2-4 from 3) San Juan

SFA88
Does anyone know what happened to Star Jacobs? She hasn't played a single game for APB this year.
Pilotgirl
SFA88 said:

Does anyone know what happened to Star Jacobs? She hasn't played a single game for APB this year.
Nope....and she left UTA VERY late....
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

SFA88 said:

How strange.
SFA88
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFA88 said:

How strange.
Agreed. She is still wearing her UTA uniform in her Twitter profile and banner yet she has posted recently.
nacluth
Kellogg and Harrison still cleaning up. They go to 8-0 taking down #25 Penn State today. Jordan almost had the double double with 14 points and 9 assists with 5 steals as well.
nacluth
Kellogg's West Virginia team (11-0) will enter Big 12 play unbeaten joining #5 Texas (12-0), #10 Baylor (11-0), #25 TCU (12-0). #12 Kansas State sits at 12-1

His young team has done better than I think anyone could have expected already getting one win over a ranked opponent. It will be nice to see if they can work their way through conference play and into the NCAA's.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Harrison is averaging 13.5 ppg. We should know soon if WVU WBB is for real. They open Big12 play on 12/30 at Kansas. In all honesty, their pre-conference schedule was not challenging.
nacluth
Kellogg got a new job and got his team ranked in near record time. #25 West Virginia starts Big 12 play today at Kansas at noon.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Kellogg got a new job and got his team ranked in near record time. #25 West Virginia starts Big 12 play today at Kansas at noon.
Kansas is coached by Kellogg's predecessor at SFA, Brandon Schneider. Schneider was the 2022 Big 12 coach of the year. Kansas won the WNIT in 2023.
nacluth
Well the battle of the former SFA coaches ended with WVU dominating Kansas by 25. Harrison put in a game high 21. 12-0.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Well the battle of the former SFA coaches ended with WVU dominating Kansas by 25. Harrison put in a game high 21. 12-0.

Is the difference @ WVU this year a result of the Kellogg Effect or the Harrison Effect? Would they be 12-0 without Jordan Harrison? I doubt it.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Is the difference @ WVU this year a result of the Kellogg Effect or the Harrison Effect? Would they be 12-0 without Jordan Harrison? I doubt it.
Agree. The Ladyjacks this year with Jordan …. I can only imagine.
SFA Jack Fanatic
#10 Texas burst #24 WVU's bubble with a 70-49 win in Morgantown. Jordan Harrison scored 10 for West Virginia.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's an occasional update on former Ladyjacks...

Jordan Harrison scored 19 as #24 West Virginia beat UCF 76-59 in Orlando. WVU is now 14-2.

Avery Brittingham had 10 points and 8 rebounds as UTA continued its turnaround from early season losses with a 72-54 win over WAC last-place Seattle. UTA is now 8-8 on the season.

Jordan and AB... Oh, what could have been...
SFA Jack Fanatic
An interesting story making the rounds this week is about the Ole Miss WBB head coach complaining about that university's fiscal report showing that her women's BB team lost $8.4 million last year. You read that right... $8.4 MILLION!

So what did the head coach do? She openly complained on X (Twitter) about the fellow who issued the report and jumped all over the community for not attending their games. Needless to say, she's not the most popular person in that part of Mississippi right now.

BTW, the Ole Miss football team made $12.3 million and the baseball team made $166,000 before her team lost $8.4 million of it.
nacluth
#23 West Virginia finishes the first half of Big 12 play 8-2 one game out of the lead. Have a big game next Saturday at Baylor.

Kellogg and Harrison holding their own so far.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.