NCAA FOOTBALL 2023

13,131 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New Rules maybe in play to shorten the game for 2023.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/20/college-football-shorter-game-rules
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
Now that American's attention span is shorter than a tweet, we see MLB and now college football trying to shorten games. MLB with it's pitch clock and now college football that just wants the clock to run for 15 minutes straight and then call quarter.
IF you shorten the time between innings and stop having so many media timeouts in football, both games would be sped up without changing the rules. Of course that will never happen due to the greed for commercial money from both sports. If you really want shorter game times--you have the way to do so without affecting the games themselves. Any talk of helping with safety of players is just a deflection.

As I have said about MLB--let's just have the managers meet at home plate, flip a coin and call a winner, game over.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Exactly! My guess is that it's not the true baseball or football fans that want shorter games. When I buy an Astros ticket for $100 I'm not hoping for less game for my money.
SFAXE93
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Exactly! My guess is that it's not the true baseball or football fans that want shorter games. When I buy an Astros ticket for $100 I'm not hoping for less game for my money.
I agree to a degree. But I want to watch the game not some guy tap his left cleets, tap his right cleets, adjust his left pant leg, adjust his right pant leg, scratch his crotch, spit, put one foot in the batters box and dig in, put the second foot in annnd call time out.
TallTexan
SFA88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I agree to a degree. But I want to watch the game not some guy tap his left cleets, tap his right cleets, adjust his left pant leg, adjust his right pant leg, scratch his crotch, spit, put one foot in the batters box and dig in, put the second foot in annnd call time out.

I want shorter football games. If you do things like run the clock after incompletions and also shorten the play clock, you can fine tune it to end up with a similar number of plays while reducing the total length of time the game takes up by like 45 minutes.

Especially with me watching most games on TV, I don't want to spend 4 hours on the couch to watch the jacks or longhorns play.

So I'm fine with shortening it to a more compact window.
hacker4
The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Football is a popular American football league that consists of teams from various universities and colleges across the United States. NCAA football has a long history and has been played since the late 1800s.
The league is divided into several divisions, with Division I being the most prominent and competitive. The top teams in Division I compete in the College Football Playoff, which determines the national champion at the end of the season. A strap that secures the ankle in place during activities.
NCAA football is known for its passionate fan base and intense rivalries between schools. The game is played with 11 players on each side, and the objective is to score points by carrying or throwing the ball into the opposing team's end zone.
In recent years, there have been discussions about compensating college football players for their efforts, as many argue that the players generate significant revenue for the universities and the NCAA. However, as of my knowledge cutoff of September 2021, players are still not allowed to receive direct compensation for their participation in NCAA football.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Get rid of this guy, Admins. He's up to no good.

EVERYONE: I'D suggest that you DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK IN THAT WIKILINKS ARTICLE. Click at your own risk.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Look what UT schools get

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Look what UT schools get

Estimated costs?
SFAXE93

This construction, with an estimated cost of about $45 million, is part of over $80 million in construction projects being completed by UTRGV Athletics over the next two and a half years.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

This construction, with an estimated cost of about $45 million, is part of over $80 million in construction projects being completed by UTRGV Athletics over the next two and a half years.

UT System institution.

I have hopes that through some of the capital funding mechanisms that UTS has, we will get an overhaul of the field house A "real major" overhaul
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
Fun little story. One of my coworkers was recently SHSU football player, and actually a pretty solid defensive player who gave us fits when he played for them and was apart of one of their deep playoff runs.

I asked him today what he thought about the C-USA move and he went on a long rant about how horrible it was and how there's no way they could compete. He said they've talked about the FBS jump in the past, but that it should've been done with a lot more planning and preparation. He said how he thinks SFA is very smart for sticking with the WAC and waiting until we're ready to make the jump.

Just interesting to see it coming from a former player and not just an average fan.
StroKat
If CUSA offered SFA to join y'all would have accepted. Either jump up now or get left behind.
SFA Jack Fanatic
StroKat said:

If CUSA offered SFA to join y'all would have accepted. Either jump up now or get left behind.

Thank you for your well thought-out plan for SFA. I'm quite certain that our AD will include your personal opinion when establishing the entire athletic future of our university. Thanks again.
BigJack85
StroKat said:

I don't know what the "truth" is. I can say this though, the move to CUSA is not entirely budget related. I looked it up in the Knight Newhouse collegiate athletics data. Sam and SFA both have athletics budgets around $21 million.

It seems to me that basketball is the clear priority at SFA. Football is the dominant force at Sam. Some of facilities challenges SFA has faced may be easier to navigate soon. The UT system has a deeper pool of matching funds along with a robust funding platform for rehabilitating/updating of older facilities. I think we will see a redoubling of positioning for FBS. Besides, CUSA may be looking for a couple new members, after UTEP and NMSU backfill for departing San Diego St&Fresno St.
SFASawmillGuy
StroKat said:

I don't disagree with that. But I don't think it would've been the right time for us either. The athletics department is growing and developing in a great way, but as it stands we are not ready for FBS football. I don't think Sam is either. I think the FBS is better for the school overall as far as money as exposure is concerned but I think Sam should've waited a few more years like SFA is to better prepare the entire department for it.
SFAXE93
We need to win on the FCS level first.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

We need to win on the FCS level first.

If UTEP and NMSU head to the MWC (likely if San Diego St & Fresno St head to PAC12) , CUSA will be looking for 2-3. Tarleton , SFA and ACU will be first on the phone.
SFAXE93
Could UTA Football be returning?

This would be good news for the WAC.

https://fearthefcs.com/2023/04/07/first-hurdle-cleared-in-bid-to-bring-back-football-to-ut-arlington/
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Could UTA Football be returning?

This would be good news for the WAC.

https://fearthefcs.com/2023/04/07/first-hurdle-cleared-in-bid-to-bring-back-football-to-ut-arlington/

Very. Very good. Still skeptical.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rule change by the NCAA for the 2023 season...

When a team makes a first down, the clock will no longer stop. Previously, the clock was stopped until the Referee signaled to start it.

The intent is to help speed up the game.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Rather tired of efforts to "speed up the game" Social media generation wants everything done in 5 minutes.
Heaven forbid if they had to read War and Peace or watch an old movie that had an intermission.
Just flip a coin to see who is declared the winner...then put it on a 15 second Tic Tok.
SFAXE93
It will get to the point of what is the used to going to a game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rule change by the NCAA for the 2023 season...

When a team makes a first down, the clock will no longer stop. Previously, the clock was stopped until the Referee signaled to start it.

The intent is to help speed up the game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the clock will be stopped after first downs in the last two minutes of each half.
SFASawmillGuy
Eh. There's pros and cons to it.

A shorter game means fewer injuries and in games where both teams run high tempo big play offenses like crazy we won't have those occasional excruciatingly long games.

But it hurts the idea in college football that "no lead is safe". We will probably see fewer very large scale comebacks when teams can't mount long drives and keep stopping the clock temporarily with first downs.

From a fan point of view I see both sides. Watching a long game in tv can be tiring, but if I drove hours to see a college game and it's over quickly because the clock keeps running I might feel a little ripped off.
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy said:

but if I drove hours to see a college game and it's over quickly because the clock keeps running I might feel a little ripped off.
Exactly, the time, the money involved traveling a good distance to a game, you want to get the value of that effort.
SFAXE93
Stan Becton's way too early FCS tiers for the 2023 season

There will be 127 teams in the FCS

The step above the rest tier
  • South Dakota State

The Frisco-or-bust tier
  • North Dakota State
  • Montana State
  • William & Mary

The potential-playoff-seeds tier
  • Holy Cross
  • North Carolina Central
  • Southeast Missouri State
  • Samford
  • Furman
  • Sacramento State
  • Idaho
  • New Hampshire

The playoff-contenders tier
  • Southeastern Louisiana
  • UIW
  • Weber State
  • UC Davis
  • Montana
  • Chattanooga
  • Northern Iowa
  • North Dakota
  • Southern Illinois
  • UT Martin
  • Florida A&M
  • Southern
  • Delaware
  • Rhode Island
  • Gardner-Webb
  • Eastern Kentucky
  • Princeton
  • Yale

The good-but-not-great tier
  • Jackson State
  • Illinois State
  • Austin Peay
  • Mercer
  • Elon
  • Richmond
  • Harvard
  • Penn
  • Youngstown State
  • Saint Francis (PA)
  • Howard
  • Merrimack
  • Morgan State
  • St. Thomas (MN)
  • Dayton
  • Davidson
  • Alabama State
  • Prairie View A&M
  • Fordham

The unproven potential tier
  • Columbia
  • Villanova
  • Central Arkansas
  • Abilene Christian
  • Stephen F. Austin
  • Tarleton State
  • Alabama A&M
  • Tennessee State
  • Sacred Heart
  • Missouri State
  • Delaware State
  • South Dakota
  • Duquesne
  • South Carolina State
  • San Diego
  • Butler
  • Texas A&M-Commerce
  • ETSU
  • Northwestern State
  • Alcorn State
  • Texas Southern
  • Cal Poly

The meh tier
  • Lindenwood
  • Eastern Washington
  • Monmouth
  • Cornell
  • Dartmouth
  • Tennessee Tech
  • Stonehill
  • LIU
  • Lafayette
  • North Carolina A&T
  • Campbell
  • Albany
  • Maine
  • Towson
  • Valparaiso
  • Marist
  • Western Carolina
  • Northern Arizona
  • Northern Colorado
  • The Citadel
  • Nicholls
  • McNeese
  • Grambling State
  • Southern Utah
  • Utah Tech
  • Portland State
  • Bryant
  • Stony Brook
  • Brown
The bottom tier
  • VMI
  • Hampton
  • North Alabama
  • Houston Christian
  • Lamar
  • Wofford
  • Presbyterian
  • Morehead State
  • Stetson
  • Drake
  • Robert Morris
  • Charleston Southern
  • Idaho State
  • Colgate
  • Central Connecticut State
  • Wagner
  • Georgetown
  • Lehigh
  • Bucknell
  • Norfolk State
  • Indiana State
  • Western Illinois
  • Murray State
  • Eastern Illinois
  • Mississippi Valley State
  • Bethune-Cookman
  • Arkansas-Pine Bluff

SFAXE93
Early prediction of Top 25

https://herosports.com/herder-2023-fcs-preseason-top-25-bzbz/

1. South Dakota State
2. North Dakota State
3. Montana State
4. Holy Cross
5. Furman
6. Idaho
7. William & Mary
8. Samford
9. Incarnate Word
10. Sacramento State
11. SEMO
12. Weber State
13. North Carolina Central
14. New Hampshire
15. Montana
16. North Dakota
17. UC Davis
18. Southeastern Louisiana
19. Jackson State
20. Mercer
21. Youngstown State
22. Northern Iowa
23. Delaware
24. Gardner-Webb
25. Florida A&M

Other teams considered (in alphabetical order) are: Abilene Christian, Chattanooga, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Rhode Island, Richmond

SFASawmillGuy
Understandable us not getting attention. We have way too many unknowns with so many new faces.

I will say what I saw and from what I've heard by sources close to the team, the defense has really out an emphasis on speed this year and looks much faster. And the offense, while lacking the playmakers we had last year, looks more open. It felt like last year a big problem was we tried too hard to get the ball in our playmakers hands and it get made our offense more predictable. We don't really have a number one receiving threat this year so we expect Maurer or Weeks to spread the ball out more and get it to more different receivers.

Very excited to see how far this team can go. With the unknowns, we'll either fly high or we'll look like a team with a bunch of new pieces. By the time the Nwst game is over we will know what we have.
SFA Jack Fanatic
LSU players will wear air conditioned helmets in games and practices this year. The air conditioning will last for five hours.
SFASawmillGuy
That would've been helpful in the west Texas heat when I played…
SFA Jack Fanatic
The Over/Under for Prison Tech football in 2023 has been set at 4. I'll take the Under.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.