2020 NCAA Football

21,216 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA_03 said:

I'm honestly surprised Briles would get a shake at any FBS school.
Is he a good coach? Absolutely.
But his entire legacy is tarnished beyond repair. I don't see him giving any value to your program when it comes to recruiting(unless you're a morally bankrupt player as well).
That is why he will land another gig. Big money donors at big programs, especially traditional powerhouses that have fallen on hard times, will do anything to win. Miami, Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee will do anything for a return to power.

That said, I'm in the minority of people that won't be upset if he gets a second chance...
SFAJack_76
Too many apologists, non believers, or with short term memory. W's = $. There are programs that will take the risk. A high school, for goodness sake, did.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I'm honestly surprised Briles would get a shake at any FBS school.
Is he a good coach? Absolutely.
But his entire legacy is tarnished beyond repair. I don't see him giving any value to your program when it comes to recruiting(unless you're a morally bankrupt player as well).
He might be the best X&Os coach of a generation.

And he should never be allowed to call another game. The horrors he unleashed on his own campus. I wouldn't touch his resume with a 39 & a half foot pole.

If any school on SFA's schedule hires him, I'd call to inquire about cancelling that game. I detest him.
SFAJack_76
Hah.

"Baylor Officials Scheduled to Appear Before NCAA Committee On Infractions Over Sexual Assault Scandal
  • More than two years after receiving an NCAA notice of allegations, and more than four years after firing football coach Art Briles and disciplining other administrators for their roles in a sexual assault scandal, Baylor officials are scheduled to appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions on Monday.
  • The hearing is scheduled to take place virtually over two days.
  • Sources previously told ESPN that among other allegations, Baylor is charged with lack of institutional control and Briles faces charges of failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance, both Level I violations, the most serious under NCAA rules."
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

QB: Charlie Brewer 6-1; 210 Austin, Texas (Lake Travis/Baylor) (Sr.)
G:44;CMP:828;CMP%:63;ATT:1,304;YDS:9,700;TD:65;INT:28;R:452;YDS:1,039;TD:22
T:10,739;TD:85

I think a power 5 school will be in hot pursuit for the services of Mr. Brewer.
TallTexan
I thought JQJ from UT was headed there.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I thought JQJ from UT was headed there.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAXE93 said:

QB: Charlie Brewer 6-1; 210 Austin, Texas (Lake Travis/Baylor) (Sr.)
G:44;CMP:828;CMP%:63;ATT:1,304;YDS:9,700;TD:65;INT:28;R:452;YDS:1,039;TD:22
T:10,739;TD:85

I think a power 5 school will be in hot pursuit for the services of Mr. Brewer.

Why go to a no name school like Utah when you can go to an absolute unit to a powerhouse named after the father of Texas?
SFAJack_76
Park City? Maybe he wants to ski after football season.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
HBU QB Bailey Zappe commits to Western Kentucky.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

HBU QB Bailey Zappe commits to Western Kentucky.
Least surprising transfer of the year.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
So HBU and UIW went from possibly being middle of the pack SLC teams to bottom dwellers again. So good news for NWST I guess.
SFAJack_76
Next up?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
An interesting time to make a change to a similar candidate.

As a burnt orange grad as well, I hope Sark works out. Cant have Texas try to ruin my Saturdays with the team Carthel is building.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

Sarkisian the next future ex-head football coach of UT.

Would be nice to be paid $15M to sit at home during a pandemic. Herman did exactly what he did before he came to Texas. He won games against top 25 teams that he probably should have lost and he lost games against bad teams he should have won. Firing a guy for doing exactly what he did before you hire him. SMH
SFASawmillGuy
Honestly the Herman hire was not a smart one from the start in my opinion.
I'm not gonna say Charlie Strong was on the verge of finally getting it together, I think he had long enough to have a halfway decent year and just couldn't do it at a school like Texas. But Tom Herman didn't have the experience. He never had a chance to fully use his own players at Houston, and pretty much used the last regime's talent to make a name for himself.
I don't think Sark is a bad choice, but it still feels like if you're Texas, you can do way better.

Does feel nice knowing we still have the best football coach in Texas.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Does feel nice knowing we still have the best football coach in Texas.
cboothe09
Nice look for Tarleton...Hope we get some upgrades soon...

SFASawmillGuy
Tarleton is no joke. They'll probably be a perineal front runner for the WAC in a few years. We're gonna have to do a lot to keep pace with them.
BigJack85
You ain't kidding about Tarleton. Hopefully the Basketball Performance Center proceeds without issues and we start fundraising for a new field house and some updates to Homer Bryce.
SFAXE93
We did upgrade Homer Bryce Stadium with some boxcars in the end zone.

Those boxcars are the envy of the FCS.
SFASawmillGuy
What kind of alcohol is included in those boxcars? Asking for myself, who wants to use them.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

We did upgrade Homer Bryce Stadium with some boxcars in the end zone.

Those boxcars are the envy of the FCS.

Hahahahaha. Seriously, I'd like to join in IMHO Washington Grizzly Stadium is the best.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

What kind of alcohol is included in those boxcars? Asking for myself, who wants to use them.
It's either BYOB or catered with a nice price tag.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'd imagine we'll see a ton of new PLF opportunities soon. We, the fans, we'll have a big role to play on how much future success we have as an athletic department in my opinion.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I'd imagine we'll see a ton of new PLF opportunities soon. We, the fans, we'll have a big role to play on how much future success we have as an athletic department in my opinion.

Purple , you are 100% correct. Most of us on the board are pretty reliable donors. I really think we need to figure out how to attract more Sawmill folks. A few new loyalists "here and there" over time could add up. And not just in membership to the Sawmill... For us to prosper in the WAC we will need to, at minimum update/expand the field house.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Exactly right. Plus, a student athletic fee.
BigJack85
If we move to the WAC a reasonable approach to expanding (more like enhancing) Homer Bryce would be something along the lines of Yager Stadium (Miami Ohio). Seats a little over 20,000. Has a nice end zone complex, seating is reasonable and about the right size. Frankly, the institution itself (Miami O) would be a great model. Probably a stretch for SFA at this time but we can always dream.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Question that I don't think we've discussed, can we just implement the athletic fee without voting?
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Question that I don't think we've discussed, can we just implement the athletic fee without voting?
No idea.I'd guess, though that'd probably make it unpopular.

Could we just add it to the built in cost?

Also, why did TxLege stop the original fee that was approved?
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

No.
SFAJack_76
Spring football opt outs, or reduced schedules, increasing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.