2020-2021 Southland Basketball

20,388 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ACU is clearly the odds on favorite to win the SLC this year and watching them play TTU last night makes me think we better learn to shoot the 3 and stop turning the ball over if we want to beat ACU.
SFAJack_76
Baylor women - 117
McNeese- 24
BigJack85
The ladies might be a pretty special group. ASU is a pretty good squad. Auburn was no slouch.
SFAJack_76
Hit me again?
nacluth
How to automatically get the toughest SOS in the SLC.
CertifiedAxeman98
So I have not heard anything about Sam or Lamar like we did with SFA. Does this mean that SFA is is leading the negotiations for these 3 public schools?

ACU is private so they can do what they do without any public comment until they are done with their negotiations.
SFA Jack Fanatic
1-9 Northwestern State scored 61 points in the second half of tonight's game with Gonzaga,. NSU had the 251st -ranked offense in the nation coming into the game. It was the most points scored in a half against Gonzaga since 2010.

NSU trailed 43-17 at the half and eventually lost 95-78. It was the second game between the two teams in two nights. NSU had lost 95-57 on Monday night.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

1-9 Northwestern State scored 61 points in the second half of tonight's game with Gonzaga,. NSU had the 251st -ranked offense in the nation coming into the game. It was the most points scored in a half against Gonzaga since 2010.

NSU trailed 43-17 at the half and eventually lost 95-78. It was the second game between the two teams in two nights. NSU had lost 95-57 on Monday night.

The boys from NWST figured something out.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ULM lost to La Tech last night 68-57. ULM has lost three straight and has not come close to winning since their head-scratcher over SFA.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ULM lost to La Tech last night 68-57. ULM has lost three straight and has not come close to winning since their head-scratcher over SFA.

What if our loss to ULM is NOT a head scratcher but in fact we have much work to do?
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

What if our loss to ULM is NOT a head scratcher but in fact we have much work to do?

I have to think that we're much better than what we saw at ULM. I watched highlights of the Fort Hayes State vs. Kansas State game on December 8, and it was almost a mirror image of our game vs. ULM. Fort Hayes was lights out from beyond the arc, just like ULM was. I am also reminded of a game we played in Conway against UCA three years ago. UCA was uncanny beyond the arc and beat us by 8. We smashed them twice by 30 later that season.

But we do have work to do, primarily in the backcourt. Here's hoping that Posey can give us a shot in the arm on fixing that problem.
SFAJack_76
Played 21 minutes total for the 1-7 Privateers. Averaged about nine minutes a game last season.
sfa17
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/12/15/22172617/abilene-christian-wildcats-contenders-southland-conference-joe-golding

"Abilene and Stephen F. Austin look like the class of the Southland this year. Abilene played it's best game closer than SFA"

"I'm not devoid of all hope. If Abilene can take good lessons from the two high-major tilts it has before conference play, I think I feel pretty good about taking the Wildcats over the Lumberjacks in the regular season (hides from SFA fans)."

SFA Jack Fanatic
Baylor 93, UCA 56
SFA Jack Fanatic
For what it's worth...

Latest KenPom:

SFA - 176
ACU - 113
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For what it's worth...

Latest KenPom:

SFA - 176
ACU - 113

That loss to ULM.......
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For what it's worth...

Latest KenPom:

SFA - 176
ACU - 113
291 in the first NET.
nacluth
Frankly making top 150 in NET is going to be brutal unless we win every game by double digits. Getting higher than a 15 seed (if we make it past ACU) is going to be tough.
BigJack85
Most of those formulas baffle me. I finally think I have RPI figured out and then they change it to NET ???? LOL.
cboothe09
Playing the role of troll or is there something going on???

PurpleOut
Staff
I've heard some rumblings about something pretty big coming.
cboothe09
Positive or negative? Kat is making it sound no bueno...
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

I don't 100% know what it is, but my assumption is that it will be viewed as both good and bad if I'm piecing things together correctly. Again, just an assumption.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

cboothe09 said:

I don't 100% know what it is, but my assumption is that it will be viewed as both good and bad if I'm piecing things together correctly. Again, just an assumption.
I don't know either, but the code does not appear to be too hard to break.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I've heard some rumblings about something pretty big coming.

We've gotta get Ryan Ivey a burner on here.
nacluth
Is the implication that we're going to self impose this year? If it's something else than I guess I'm too dense to figure it out.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Is the implication that we're going to self impose this year? If it's something else than I guess I'm too dense to figure it out.

I'm down with that and it makes the most sense with Covid and players having an extra year of eligibility.
nacluth
Two things: I could be wrong but I don't see any of our seniors returning which probably means minimal effect of the eligibility on any of our players.

It disheartens me that Katfans has inside info from our athletic department and posts it before it comes to us.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Two things: I could be wrong but I don't see any of our seniors returning which probably means minimal effect of the eligibility on any of our players.

It disheartens me that Katfans has inside info from our athletic department and posts it before it comes to us.

Ya the last part bothers me.
PurpleOut
Staff
It's more than likely not from OUR athletic department, for what it's worth.

There are things in general that I don't feel sites, Twitter accounts, media members, recruiting gurus, etc should be reporting and digging into. The Matt Brown guy for example. Ok cool yeah we all like to hear new info or whatever, but do you really need to contact schools or try to dig up correspondence before everything has been settled? Just let it happen sometimes. Just more hassle for the athletic directors and everyone actually trying to get stuff done. Sorry kind of a rant there.
PurpleOut
Staff
ACU was outscored by HBU 37-28 in the second half and barely escaped 66-63.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

We have to apply to the NCAA to move the post season ban from next season to this season. They approved delaying it a year. They have to approve moving it back.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

It's more than likely not from OUR athletic department, for what it's worth.

Agree. There was a league meeting the last two days. "It" could have come from anyone. That meeting should have been interesting.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

There are months to go, but I am hearing most seniors are leaning to coming back.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

There are months to go, but I am hearing most seniors are leaning to coming back.

News I like to hear!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.