2020-2021 Southland Basketball

20,413 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm gonna have to go check those WAC stats
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Nicholls has the only other D1 win right (unless I missed one). Everyone else has gotten ROLLED.

I think you are right on both. Most of the D1 losses have been ugly other than Nicholls 11 point loss to Cal yesterday.
BigJack85
The WAC ain't great. Can't be as bad as this blank. ACU looks credible. Other than that , poo.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

The WAC ain't great. Can't be as bad as this blank. ACU looks credible. Other than that , poo.

WAC is 9-7 with Chicago State having three of the losses. I haven't looked into the schedules.
BigJack85
I was opposed to the WAC "thing" when I heard about it. The more I think of our situation, I believe there is a avenue for a beneficial move. Better exposure, increased branding and an improved tv deal. Ours is almost zero. At least a small tv deal covers the travel. In the end I think it would be + $$$
CertifiedAxeman98
BigJack85 said:

I was opposed to the WAC "thing" when I heard about it. The more I think of our situation, I believe there is a avenue for a beneficial move. Better exposure, increased branding and an improved tv deal. Ours is almost zero. At least a small tv deal covers the travel. In the end I think it would be + $$$
Agreed 100%. The Southland has become the bottom of the barrel and we need to get out even if we only move up a 5 or 6 spots on the ladder from where we are at. The Southland conference leadership is lacking and we need to move to a conference with a vision and a plan. If Central Arkansas goes to the ASUN and ACU goes to the WAC I believe SFA& SAM and probably Lamar should to leave the SL for the WAC as well.
Pilotgirl
This gave me a good laugh...ACU is remodeling Moody and housed somewhere else in the meantime. Here is their light show:

Pilotgirl
Here's a rendering of their 40 million dollar upgrade...Hmmmm, that scoreboard sure looks familiar...

SFAJack_76
Love the high tech light show!

The facilities upgrade looks great. I do still have questions about the bats. I need to know they are okay.
PurpleOut
Staff
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there was only one school that we could choose to leave the Southland with us...I'd pick ACU.

They are the only ones that I see that truly want to improve everything with their school AND athletic department. New football stadium, renovated hoops arena, continuous improvements across other sports.

I'm sure they are working on locker rooms and other aspects not in that photo, because I don't see a ton of difference other than the video board and the baseline seating. That baseline seating is what I wish we would do.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there was only one school that we could choose to leave the Southland with us...I'd pick ACU.

They are the only ones that I see that truly want to improve everything with their school AND athletic department. New football stadium, renovated hoops arena, continuous improvements across other sports.

I'm sure they are working on locker rooms and other aspects not in that photo, because I don't see a ton of difference other than the video board and the baseline seating. That baseline seating is what I wish we would do.

Same. ACU is going places. Sam and Lamar are lagging behind, can't even get fans to see their teams when they're winning.
BigJack85
Not sure we can keep up.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

The facilities upgrade looks great. I do still have questions about the bats. I need to know they are okay.
They just need to nix Wildcats as their mascot and embrace the Bats as a replacement. Win-win.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

BigJack85 said:

Agreed 100%. The Southland has become the bottom of the barrel and we need to get out even if we only move up a 5 or 6 spots on the ladder from where we are at. The Southland conference leadership is lacking and we need to move to a conference with a vision and a plan. If Central Arkansas goes to the ASUN and ACU goes to the WAC I believe SFA& SAM and probably Lamar should to leave the SL for the WAC as well.

A SLC remodel would be in order ... if we don't get any improvements.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

They just need to nix Wildcats as their mascot and embrace the Bats as a replacement. Win-win.

I really like unique mascots.
SFAXE93
SELA:66
California Baptist:83
FINAL
Pilotgirl
Tarleton & ACU play tonight at 7 pm. Should be on ESPN+
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

This might be good.
slulionsfan
SFAXE93 said:

SELA:66
California Baptist:83
FINAL
SLU beat Cal Baptist on Wednesday, 81-80, on an off-balance runner near the buzzer. Struggled shooting last night and they got us in the rematch. CBU is very good and took USC to OT in their season opener. We're fortunate to grab a split with them. We're working in seven new players and missed 2 weeks of practice due to COVID right before the season started; and have struggled shooting from the perimeter but I think we'll be pretty good once conference rolls around.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

This might be good.

Yeah, I'm going to tune in
CertifiedAxeman98
Here is my yearly rant about how bad the Southland refs are. It was so bad last night that the McNeese guys in front of me and I had something to both root for "BETTER REFS". I don't know their names but the guy with the brown hair has been a Southland ref for awhile now and as soon as I saw him I new this crew was going to suck and the bald guy was just taking up space. Never seen the other guy. The only thing they are good for is to check players in and out. There are probably about 50 examples but I will keep it to 4:

1. Can they just agree on what a charge is vs a blocking foul is? I don't care what they call at this point just be consistent.

2. The guy with the brown hair is looking right at the McNeese guy on the floor that grabbed a loose ball then he is moving around like crazy for like 30 seconds (clear walk) then decides he needs to call a timeout. the ref gives him the timeout.

3. There was a clear goal tend at the end of the half by McNeese. I was watching the replay it was a little small from where I was sitting but the McNeese guys hand was in the cylinder before the clock expired when the ball was there and should have been an SFA bucket but they just walk off after watching it like 10 times in slowmo.

4. If there was a foul and the ball went out of bounds, rather than calling the foul on team A they just gave the ball to team B. This happened so many times it became a running joke in our section.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Dang!
Pilotgirl
SFA vs Baylor rematch...!!!
jboy93
Pilotgirl said:

Not sure we want that after watching the first half of the LSUA game! lol
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

Agreed ACU is investing in their programs and is showing not only in their facilities but on the court/field. I wish I could say the same about Sam. When I go to a Sam game not a lot has changed in their athletic facilities since I was at SFA.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

Just like to point out that I called this LOL (only if it happens, tho)!!
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Pilotgirl said:

Good call. I think it went something like no, maybe, no, maybe, before it got to yes.
nacluth
It was like:

Scott Drew: Who can we play?
AD: SFA says they're good to go.
Drew (head now in his hands): oh god (muffled).
AD: What's that?
Drew: Anyone else available?
AD: Tarleton says they have to wait, several NAIA teams, but the SFA guys are willing to take half price.
Drew: I heard SMU may be open, Rice, anyone?
AD: No dice right now. Jacks Wednesday or we just sit.
Drew: Ok. They better not mess up the locker again...
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Pilotgirl said:

Good call. I think it went something like no, maybe, no, maybe, before it got to yes.
I'm sure it did !
SFAXE93
ACU 44 (5-1)
#17 TEXAS TECH 51 (5-1)
FINAL

Impressive showing in Lubbock last night for the Wildcats.

It was 23-14 TT at the half, and ACU outscored the Red Raiders 30-28 in the second half.

I believe ACU will be the team to beat for the Jacks.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
PurpleOut
Staff
Tech was also out their 2nd leading scorer.

But it's clear that this league should be determined with SFA vs ACU.
PurpleOut
Staff
Here is how Lamar beat ULM.

Pilotgirl
That was an awesome shot!

Still think we can handle ACU...definitely can't take them for granted but I've watched 2 or 3 of their games and I think our athleticism and defense will wear them down. I predict a close 1st half and then the Jacks take over in the 2nd. If you get ACU in some foul trouble, they start to crumble a bit...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.