2020 NCAA Transfer Portal

20,463 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought I'd start a thread about transfers that might be of interest to SFA fans. Several transferring players have been mentioned in the '19-'20 Southland thread, but this can bring them all together in one spot.

This does not have to be limited to Southland players. Add any transfers that SFA fans might be interested in knowing about. Also, tell us when any of the players have been picked up by other schools.

Incarnate Word:

PG Augustine Ene - Jr.
SG Ryan Flores - Jr.
PF Vincent Miszkiewicz - Fr.
PG Dwight Murray - So.
PF Antoine Smith - So.
SG Morgan Taylor - So.

Central Arkansas:

C Hayden Koval - Jr.

New Orleans:

PF Amari Haynes - So.
PF Garalle Gates - So.

Texas A&M Corpus Christi:

SG Jalon Clark - So.

Southeastern Louisiana:

PG LaQuan Butler - So.
SF Tyron Brewer - So.
CertifiedAxeman98
DuBose entered the Transfer portal and is leaving HBU. Wow that is all they had this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

DuBose entered the Transfer portal and is leaving HBU. Wow that is all they had this year.

25 losses. It had to be depressing to be a member of that team. And playing in a 1960's jr. high gym had to make it worse.

As I've said before, some deep pockets HBU alum must have paid some big bucks under the table to get HBU into the Southland. HBU and UIW should never have been admitted. They lowered the quality of play in the Southland even lower than it already was.
SFA Jack Fanatic
DuBose is a 6'4" Jr. SG who averaged 19.0 ppg. He will be eligible to play immediately. Someone will grab him quickly.

Qon Murphy, 6'5" So. SG from HBU has also entered the portal.
sfa17

That is transfer #6 for Wichita
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

25 losses. It had to be depressing to be a member of that team. And playing in a 1960's jr. high gym had to make it worse.

As I've said before, some deep pockets HBU alum must have paid some big bucks under the table to get HBU into the Southland. HBU and UIW should never have been admitted. They lowered the quality of play in the Southland even lower than it already was.

So right fanatic. I wish we could wave a magic wand and be gone from HBU, UIW and A&M CC.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Serious question: When a player enters the portal, can other schools contact him first, or does the athlete have to initiate the contacts?
cboothe09
I'll start putting together a Google Sheet of all SLC rosters with current rosters along with a transfer list here soon.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Serious question: When a player enters the portal, can other schools contact him first, or does the athlete have to initiate the contacts?
In case your question didn't get answered, this should do it.
cboothe09
Five schools left on these rosters, but man...There are a couple that are in a world of hurt right now (cough*HBU*cough). UIW will be better than people expect and 2020-2021 will be all in for McNeese. I think you see a better Southland next year...
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

In case your question didn't get answered, this should do it.

I'm pretty confident that there are several coaches/schools that contact players before they even announce a transfer. Which isn't legal, but it happens.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
How many of the top SLC players will be left after this offseason? Brewer and Alatishe we're going to be studs in our league. SFA is breaking teams right now. The poor get poorer.
No-look
nacluth said:

How many of the top SLC players will be left after this offseason? Brewer and Alatishe we're going to be studs in our league. SFA is breaking teams right now. The poor get poorer.
Yep. Now if ACU would lose a couple of starters... lol
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
The main team we should be worried about is Northwestern State. As of now, they return the entire team. Things could still change between now and then obviously, but they have a lot of talent returning.
nacluth
Yeah in a way I agree with you, but we're now looking at our terrible conference getting worse. We beat the #1 team, lost to a top 50 team and a top 100 team, went 19-1 in conference and still half of the predictions had us as a 13 seed. All due to our terrible conference.

The Southland can't afford to lose 3-5 top players. Those players are the difference between 30th in the nation and 32nd. Honestly, if SFA had a "normal" year this past season, the SWAC would've been ahead of us. We were the only prop for the conference. I like ACU, but #200 in the nation isn't cutting it. We're 100 instead of 50 just because there's no good players.

The future is not bright for SFA in the Southland.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

The main team we should be worried about is Northwestern State. As of now, they return the entire team. Things could still change between now and then obviously, but they have a lot of talent returning.
I think they can be okay. They have two bigs that play decently. Their weakness (like most NWST teams) is defense. But they were a pleasant surprise.
cboothe09
Looking at rosters (Excluding SFA), Northwestern State, UIW, and McNeese have the most coming back that will be productive.

Once they found their footing, Northwestern State put on a good run that had them reach the SLC Tournament. UIW had a very slow start with all of the new faces, but they became a tough out toward the back half of conference play. While they lose a lot, their core is still intact. I expect a big jump from them. McNeese loses Kennedy, but bring back Kuxhausen and a bunch of other guys that got the Cowboys off to a good start.

ACU has a very good roster returning with Pleasant anchoring the crew. That should make up for the loss of Ricks, but that will be a tough one to stomach. They will be back in the top 3 again.

Nicholls lost A LOT to graduation, and Alatishe transferring does them no favors. They recruit well, and Spencer will be a big player as a freshman for them. I expect a top half team from them, but a lot of unknowns with the Colonels. They have a ton of open spots and not a lot of offers, which tells me they are going after the grad/transfer market hard again. That makes me think they will swallow a down year next season for a really good one the following.

Overall I expect the Southland to be more competitive from 2-13, but the top level talent will not be there from the start. I'm sure there are some guys out there that will breakout, but not a lot of known entities coming into the season...
SFAJack_76
Brewer and Koval both on this list. Big losses for the SLC.
PurpleOut
Staff
"Stronger than he looks" is something I'm not sure I agree with in regards to Koval. I can't see him being anything but an average bench player at a bigger school.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

"Stronger than he looks" is something I'm not sure I agree with in regards to Koval. I can't see him being anything but an average bench player at a bigger school.

Well, he doesn't look very strong at all, so it's a low bar.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
Wow.

And it'll be two months before these kids will be able to visit a campus.
sfa17

If Marshall can win 20 games next season, he deserves Coach of the Year
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

Well, Keller won 28 with nine new guys. Crappy conference, but still.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

sfa17 said:

Well, Keller won 28 with nine new guys. Crappy conference, but still.

I didn't think I would be saying this but... with the guys Keller has returning, the new facilities in process and the highly rated newcomers we should have a really solid trajectory for years to come. Years.
TallTexan
The Posey, Hart, Calvin 2023 season might be the most physically gifted teams we've ever had.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

The Posey, Hart, Calvin 2023 season might be the most physically gifted teams we've ever had.
Maybe, but will they be the best "team"?
cboothe09
The news of McGhee overshadowed another big loss...Sam Houston loses Xavier Bryant to transfer. Bryant averaged 16.1 minutes a game and was going to be leaned on with Bowie and Swoope graduating. Bryant was their leading assist man returning

Rosters are updated on the 2020-2021 thread...
nacluth
Wow. Bryant is big news. He was a player I thought we needed to be careful of in the future.
sfa17
The only mid major teams at risk of losing their best players are the ones the underperform every single year. If we win 20 plus games a season, go to tourney, and maybe win a game or two in tourney. We don't have to worry about losing our best player. But the rest of SLC will have a huge problem. They will get raided every year.

PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

The only mid major teams at risk of losing their best players are the ones the underperform every single year. If we win 20 plus games a season, go to tourney, and maybe win a game or two in tourney. We don't have to worry about losing our best player. But the rest of SLC will have a huge problem. They will get raided every year.

Except for grad transfers.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.