SFA NIL

3,831 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by nacluth
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Was researching NIL options and found these for SFA.

Will add direct links to the NIL Club ones tomorrow.

TallTexan
Ideally, I'd like to see all of SFA's teams with an NIL Club type setup.

It's communal, they split everything they earn equally amongst the team.

Looks like they're asking for around 40 to 50 a person per month.

Some back of the envelope math, SFA has approximately 400 athletes iirc. 400*50 is 20,000 per month.

My first goal is to get every SFA athlete to $25 a month. That's 10k a month. So approximately 500 donors at $20 on avg a month.

I think with a concerted effort, SFA community could pull that off in the next few years.
BigJack85
Tall, good job promoting these NIL options.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Was researching NIL options and found these for SFA.

Will add direct links to the NIL Club ones tomorrow.

Thanks, Texan! I had no idea these existed. I'm subscribing to the MBB club today.

Can we start an NIL Club for WBB? I'd subscribe to that one right away, too! I'll even take the lead in starting that if you guys want me too. Let me know. (Or maybe Pilotgirl would like to take the lead on doing that. She's WBB's #1 fan, after all...)
TallTexan
I'll check with Pilot and see if she's heard any rumblings of an NILClub within the WBB team.

Also hoping to see soccer and volleyball and track personally.

With MBB and Football attracting big donors at the P5 level, it's a little harder to compete.

But for Soccer, WBB, Volleyball, and some track disciplines? We could go toe to toe with the big guys whose donors think sports stop after bowl season. Or atleast be ahead of our conference peers and more competitive on the national stage during postseason.
YatesSM6M
Hello All!

My name is Dillon Yates, SFA '17, and Nac resident. I am a volunteer and the secretary for the Sawmill 6th Man Collection!

If you have any questions about Sawmill 6th Man, how we work, what we do, or where your donations go (100% to the athletes) please reach out - info@sawmill6thman.com. You can also checkout www.sawmill6thman.com

I'm posting a few FAQ's below:

What is NIL?
-NIL stands for "Name, Image, and Likeness" specifically referring to the use of an athlete's NIL through marketing and promotional endeavors. Student-athletes at NCAA institutions could begin monetizing their NIL beginning on July 1, 2021.

-What percentage of contributions go to the athletes?
100% of contributions go directly to the student-athletes. Sawmill 6th Man is directed by volunteers, local business leaders, and alumni that take no monetary compensation.

-Are Donations Tax Deductible?
Donations are not tax deductible. We are currently in process of obtaining our 501c3

-What are the NCAA Rules Regarding NILs and Collectives?
A student-athlete may not receive NIL compensation based on his or her athletic performance. That would constitute "pay for play," which is prohibited by NCAA rules. A donor may not provide NIL compensation to a high school recruit or transfer student in an effort to bring the student-athlete to Stephen F. Austin. Such inducements and extra benefits are prohibited by NCAA rules. Per NCAA rules, Stephen F. Austin is not associated with Sawmill 6th Man or any other NIL organization. Sawmill 6th Man works closely with Stephen F. Austin to keep the university informed of our procedures and progress.

We look forward to creating the best possible opportunities for our student-athletes and community!
BigJack85
YatesSM6M said:

Hello All!

My name is Dillon Yates, SFA '17, and Nac resident. I am a volunteer and the secretary for the Sawmill 6th Man Collection!

If you have any questions about Sawmill 6th Man, how we work, what we do, or where your donations go (100% to the athletes) please reach out - info@sawmill6thman.com. You can also checkout www.sawmill6thman.com

I'm posting a few FAQ's below:

What is NIL?
-NIL stands for "Name, Image, and Likeness" specifically referring to the use of an athlete's NIL through marketing and promotional endeavors. Student-athletes at NCAA institutions could begin monetizing their NIL beginning on July 1, 2021.

-What percentage of contributions go to the athletes?
100% of contributions go directly to the student-athletes. Sawmill 6th Man is directed by volunteers, local business leaders, and alumni that take no monetary compensation.

-Are Donations Tax Deductible?
Donations are not tax deductible. We are currently in process of obtaining our 501c3

-What are the NCAA Rules Regarding NILs and Collectives?
A student-athlete may not receive NIL compensation based on his or her athletic performance. That would constitute "pay for play," which is prohibited by NCAA rules. A donor may not provide NIL compensation to a high school recruit or transfer student in an effort to bring the student-athlete to Stephen F. Austin. Such inducements and extra benefits are prohibited by NCAA rules. Per NCAA rules, Stephen F. Austin is not associated with Sawmill 6th Man or any other NIL organization. Sawmill 6th Man works closely with Stephen F. Austin to keep the university informed of our procedures and progress.

We look forward to creating the best possible opportunities for our student-athletes and community!

Thanks for information. Very helpful. Axe 'Em Jacks
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
YatesSM6M
Hello all!

Now that the season is coming to an end (hate to say it) the Sawmill 6th Man Collective are ramping up our efforts for donations, and charitable activities for the guys.

The Sawmill 6th Man Collective is a recruiting tool for our program. Though there are certain things Coach Keller can, and cannot, say. He is able to mention NIL opportunities to recruits (at a limited capacity)! Over the next few months we are focusing our efforts on fundraising, and continuing to provide our student athletes with opportunities within the community!

There is no time better than now to sign up for our monthly membership (remember 100% of donations go to the players). Each membership level comes with incentives, and our new member gear is really nice!

If you want to get involved, please reach out or visit www.sawmill6thman.com/membership

Axe 'Em!
TallTexan
Are y'all trying to raise a certain amount per player on the team, like a communal fund, or say like 5k for a star player type setup?
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

I'll check with Pilot and see if she's heard any rumblings of an NILClub within the WBB team.

With MBB and Football attracting big donors at the P5 level, it's a little harder to compete.

But for Soccer, WBB, Volleyball, and some track disciplines? We could go toe to toe with the big guys whose donors think sports stop after bowl season. Or atleast be ahead of our conference peers and more competitive on the national stage during postseason.

I will definitely look into this! Let's circle up after the season is officially over. We've got more WBB to play
SFA Jack Fanatic
YatesSM6M said:

Hello all!

Now that the season is coming to an end (hate to say it) the Sawmill 6th Man Collective are ramping up our efforts for donations, and charitable activities for the guys.

The Sawmill 6th Man Collective is a recruiting tool for our program. Though there are certain things Coach Keller can, and cannot, say. He is able to mention NIL opportunities to recruits (at a limited capacity)! Over the next few months we are focusing our efforts on fundraising, and continuing to provide our student athletes with opportunities within the community!

There is no time better than now to sign up for our monthly membership (remember 100% of donations go to the players). Each membership level comes with incentives, and our new member gear is really nice!

If you want to get involved, please reach out or visit www.sawmill6thman.com/memberships

Axe 'Em!

I joined recently. I encourge other Jack fans to join, too. Monthly memberships are available for as little as $10 per month, and I'm sure they'll gladly accept one-time donations. 100% of the money goes to the athletes.

We say that we want to compete with the Big Boys to get the best players to come here, so we need to act like it! Www.sawmill6thman.com/memberships
SFA Jack Fanatic
How can SFA, or ANY mid-major, compete with THIS?

Of the players at this week's Final Four, UConn forward Adama Sanogo has the highest NIL evaluation at $773,000, according to the On3 NIL Valuation, followed by Miami guard Isaiah Wong ($533,000), UConn guard Jordan Hawkins ($375,000), San Diego State forward Matt Bradley ($372,000) and Miami guard Jordan Miller ($222,000).

LifeWallet, Miami billionaire booster John Ruiz's company, pays all Miami athletes in all sports. Ruiz said he has invested more than $10 million in more than 100 deals with Miami athletes. The men's and women's basketball teams made the deepest runs in school history, and every scholarship football player was offered an NIL deal.

"There are a lot of schools that do the same thing we do," Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga said. "We just don't know about it because it's not public knowledge. Why not? Why are we afraid of sharing information?"

Just my personal opinion, but the NCAA's NIL rules and their creation of the transfer portal are ruining college athletics!!!

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/miami-ncaa-nil-nijel-pack-john-ruiz-17873249.php
TallTexan
On the other hand, FAU probably had near zero NIL dollars before last week.

Some of those types of paydays aren't new, they're just legal now.

Transfer portal is going to equalize out some in the future after the 5 year rule. NIL is always going to be tough for small schools to compete but we weren't winning most of those guys over anyways.

Where we'll want to compete is to offer any NIL at all so that we beat out our other mid majors especially in our conference.
wahlwesle
Where it will hurt is the player that is on the line of being able to go to a big school and ride the bench, or come to SFA and start. If all scholarship players get NIL money, they may choose to ride the bench and get paid rather than play and not get paid.
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle said:

Where it will hurt is the player that is on the line of being able to go to a big school and ride the bench, or come to SFA and start. If all scholarship players get NIL money, they may choose to ride the bench and get paid rather than play and not get paid.

Get paid rather than play? Doesn't sound like the kind of player I want.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The University of Houston will be having a Second Annual "Fore the Players Classic" Golf Tournament. Alumni and corporations use the tournament to compensate UH men's basketball players under NIL guidelines.

At last summer's tournament 7 players were given $10,000 each, 4 were given $8,000, and 1 was given $2,500.

I know there are deeper pockets in the Houston area, and more of them, but I sure would like to see such an event held for SFA players in East Texas.

Any alumni reading this????? Sawmill 6th Man guy, are you seeing this?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The University of Houston will be having a Second Annual "Fore the Players Classic" Golf Tournament. Alumni and corporations use the tournament to compensate UH men's basketball players under NIL guidelines.

At last summer's tournament 7 players were given $10,000 each, 4 were given $8,000, and 1 was given $2,500.

I know there are deeper pockets in the Houston area, and more of them, but I sure would like to see such an event held for SFA players in East Texas.

Any alumni reading this????? Sawmill 6th Man guy, are you seeing this?
KU & Wichita State are looking at scheduling an OOC game at a neutral site hosted by their NIL funds. Which is to say that ticket proceeds will go to their athletes.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
TallTexan
Anyone get the chance to attend this last night?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

I will definitely look into this! Let's circle up after the season is officially over. We've got more WBB to play

Was an NIL collective ever started for women's basketball?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Did you know...

Foreign students are not eligible to receive NIL funds while in the USA. Only if and when a team or athlete travels out of the country can they do so and/or when the student travels back to their home during the off-season. In both cases the athlete has to do some legitimate NIL work or activity.

SFA's Atalia Ballesteros from Spain is one of those athletes. I wonder if she will get any NIL funds during the team's 10-day trip to Italy.

Will any other SFA teams with foreign players travel out of the country this year? Perhaps not full teams, but maybe individuals? But if they do, will they have NIL opportunities?

International students account for about 14,000 of the 113,000 athletes across NCAA Division I, or about 12.4 percent.

(What a tangled web the NCAA has weaved...)
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

Was an NIL collective ever started for women's basketball?
Texan and I still need to talk about this....man, guess I need to plan an East Texas visit! I was not able to attend the NIL presentation because it was held during the day while I was working. Wish they would offer a virtual option!
YatesSM6M
Hello All!

The Saw Mill 6th Man team has been hard at work over the last several months, and we have some exciting news to share below:

- Saw Mill 6th Man has raised, and distributed over $50,000 to SFA Men's Basketball since inception, with 100% of donations going straight to men's basketball athletes.
- The SFA men's basketball team has been participating in events all around Nacogdoches, including The Boys and Girls Club, Old Town Rig Down, NHS campus events, senior living facilities, Glory Gang (nondenominational church), and many more activities.
- The Saw Mill 6th Man board has expanded to include all sports with a sister collective called the Saw Mill Collective, www.sawmillcollective.com. 100% of donations still go to athletes.
-We are still looking for community members to join our membership, www.sawmill6thman.com/memberships
- The ultimate goal is to raise enough money to give each player a base compensation each month, while still providing individual opportunities to earn more with events.

Additionally, there will be a Saw Mill 6th Man season tip-off event on October 29th at Barkeeps with a meet and greet, silent auction, and much more! I will post the eventbright link in a separate post.

I hope this answers some questions, and I will try to be more consistent on the forums going forward.

Thank you and Axe 'Em!

- Dillon Yates SFA '17
YatesSM6M
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mens-basketball-kickoff-night-tickets-740374007587?aff=oddtdtcreator

-October 29th at Barkeeps Eatery & Taps 7pm
- Auction showcase:
-NBA tickets and meet and greet with former Lumberjack Kevon Harris includes:
-2 lower level tickets to the Orlando Magic vs Dallas Mavericks game on January 29th, 2024
-2 lower level tickets to the Orlando Magic vs Houston Rockets on April 9th, 2024
- Post-game meet and greet with Kevon and an autographed Jersey from Kevon
- SFA basketball "short court" autographed by coach Kyle Keller
- 2 floor tickets to a SFA home game of choosing and dinner with coach Kyle Keller and staff.
- Away game SFA basketball experience
- Team issued basketball gear
- Autographed basketball by Kyle Keller
-More!
BigJack85
YatesSM6M said:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mens-basketball-kickoff-night-tickets-740374007587?aff=oddtdtcreator

-October 29th at Barkeeps Eatery & Taps 7pm
- Auction showcase:
-NBA tickets and meet and greet with former Lumberjack Kevon Harris includes:
-2 lower level tickets to the Orlando Magic vs Dallas Mavericks game on January 29th, 2024
-2 lower level tickets to the Orlando Magic vs Houston Rockets on April 9th, 2024
- Post-game meet and greet with Kevon and an autographed Jersey from Kevon
- SFA basketball "short court" autographed by coach Kyle Keller
- 2 floor tickets to a SFA home game of choosing and dinner with coach Kyle Keller and staff.
- Away game SFA basketball experience
- More!!

Good job Dillon!!!!
TallTexan
Nice. Glad to see y'all have been so successful.

Keep up the good work. I'll be interested to see how the other sports come along as well.
nacluth
Very cool. Keep it up!
YatesSM6M
Reminder, please come support SFA Men's Basketball on October 29th!

This is a great chance to ask any NIL questions, and meet the team/staff, and the volunteers who run the Saw Mill Collective / Saw Mill 6th Man!
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Nice. Just picked up my Jaxson Sheldon jersey!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.