NIL Deals at SFA

8,767 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have any SFA athletes inked NIL deals?

In the last few days Raising Canes has been handing out NIL deals like candy in Texas and Oklahoma. Maybe one of our guys or gals can nab a finger-lickin' deal with them, too.
TallTexan
Heard that Sam HS has a few.

JMac told me they've got one guy looking at starting his own apparel company, which is something the new NIL rules allow, but that's not an NIL deal as most people would think of it.
PurpleOut
Staff
Maybe Kachelries got a Barstool deal? I don't see anything else around it.

nacluth
Is he now obliged to trash talk his opponents or come up with sophomoric memes?
SFASawmillGuy
In fairness actual barstool sports is much better than "SFA Sawmill".
nacluth
So true. I was going over my proposed list of contractual obligations and after "joining Ed and I during our halftime dance routine," I realized that maybe I'll just let the Purple Lights Fund figure out where my dollars should go.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

So true. I was going over my proposed list of contractual obligations and after "joining Ed and I during our halftime dance routine," I realized that maybe I'll just let the Purple Lights Fund figure out where my dollars should go.
Blindsided again....
SFA Jack Fanatic
A KTRE story about SFA FB's Dennis Osagiede says that "about a half dozen" SFA athletes have looked into ways to profit from the NIL rules. Does anyone know who they are, other than Dennis, and what they're doing? Can someone develop a list? I'd love to support them if I can.
PurpleOut
Staff
Might depend on what they mean by "looked into." Because at least that many basketball players tweeted out that their "DM's were open" meaning they were open to talk to anyone about a deal.
SFAJack_76
The divide between high major and most mid major and below gets wider by the day. Sit on the bench, stay eligible, and get paid. Or, go somewhere on a partial scholarship where I may have a chance to play.

SFA Jack Fanatic
What a joke the NCAA has become. Expect athletes at mid majors to be abandoning ship at even faster levels now, headed to Power Five schools to cash in on the money giveaways for "academic achievement".

Rewards for "academic achievement"?? Ha! Such as merely passing a course? Cha Ching! Getting a "B" or a "C" in a course rather than a "D" or an "F"? Cha Ching! Graduating from college? Cha Ching! Amateurism is dead. The power and money hungry Power Five schools have completely taken over the NCAA and ruined college athletics at the expense of every smaller college who does not have a never-empty ATM in their athletic department.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

What a joke the NCAA has become. Expect athletes at mid majors to be abandoning ship at even faster levels now, headed to Power Five schools to cash in on the money giveaways for "academic achievement".

Rewards for "academic achievement"?? Ha! Such as merely passing a course? Cha Ching! Getting a "B" or a "C" in a course rather than a "D" or an "F"? Cha Ching! Graduating from college? Cha Ching! Amateurism is dead. The power and money hungry Power Five schools have completely taken over the NCAA and ruined college athletics at the expense of every smaller college who does not have a never-empty ATM in their athletic department.
I'm sure this will start some heated discussions, but I do NOT believe college athletes should be paid. They are already getting a free education, room and board, and books. They will leave college without the tremendous financial burden other students have. That is more than enough pay in my opinion.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
I mean there are still only so many scholarships to go around, so mid majors will still get folks.

Suprisingly, the average NIL deal is fairly low. That kid who made national news for beating UT got 800 bucks and an Applebees gift card for filming a commercial that went national.

What will really affect mid majors in the short term is the new NCAA constitution. They're considering giving conferences the ability to decide if their schools will fund all sports as headcount sports on full scholarships rather than on an equivalency basis like we see for baseball.

That will be a big change for for those sports, but it's what's best for the kids and the big schools have got the money. I'd rather see it go to a kid for passing his classes than 20 million dollar coaching buyouts tbh.
PurpleOut
Staff
I wonder what/how much Auhmad Robinson is getting at A&M.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I wonder what/how much Auhmad Robinson is getting at A&M.

Track(and probably swimming) is probably a very interesting NIL space. Because you already have big companies that sponsor top athletes to train, but now they can do that while the student remains in college if they want. No longer does Athing Mu have to drop out of school to access that revenue and resources.

Not sure if Auhmad got word of that kind of deal or just wanted a bigger regular stage or facilities. Could be all 3.

But I've been shocked with how low some deals are for ones that aren't like, starting QB at Bama tbh.
TallTexan
One thing that I think would be interesting would be organizing an SFA NIL effort. That could take a few different avenues, from just being a small portal that fans help recruit business into for the athletes to more easily connect, to more coordinated efforts, like trying to find NIL sponsors for the entire women's soccer or basketball team.

Personally, I think the latter has a real chance at success. The dollar numbers on the men's side might be larger, but on the women's side, if we have one of the only sponsored teams around, even a few hundred bucks per player might help our coaches immensely in recruiting.
TallTexan
Is it true that Athletic Departments can't encourage or help businesses with NIL?

I'm sure we as fans could build an email list of local Nacogdoches business owners and encourage them to do NIL deals, a setup of the rules, sample ads and a list of the athletes right?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA, its fans, and community had better get crackin' on making some NIL deals for Jacks and Ladyjacks or we're going to lose players to bigger schools with bigger budgets, wealthier alumni, and corporate connections such as this one between UConn and Gatorade. We've already lost the best track sprinter in school history. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an NIL deal or agreement involved in his departure to A&M.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32745945/uconn-star-paige-bueckers-signs-nil-deal-gatorade
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA, its fans, and community had better get crackin' on making some NIL deals for Jacks and Ladyjacks or we're going to lose players to bigger schools with bigger budgets, wealthier alumni, and corporate connections such as this one between UConn and Gatorade. We've already lost the best track sprinter in school history. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an NIL deal or agreement involved in his departure to A&M.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32745945/uconn-star-paige-bueckers-signs-nil-deal-gatorade
it did with Robinson...Best sprinter we ever had took the NIL and went to Aggieland... We need to watch out or we will not have Xavier Gipson next year... All the big boys are after him UT, AM,LSU,Baylor...
sfajack05
Unless an alum wants to shell out money for an NIL deal I don't see how a local Nac business is going to benefit from a NIL deal with a student athlete.

You have a bunch of chain restaurants that don't care who we have as players unless there is a big upset (Duke/Bain) because people are going to go there no matter what.

Most local businesses are already well established and college kids aren't buying cars from Tipton or Rex Perry. When was the last time you saw a commerical for Butcher Boys?

The TV market isn't just Nacogdoches so you are competing with Longview, Tyler, and Lufkin as well.

Unless they are just big SFA supporters or want to do it out of the kindness of their heart I don't see many businesses doing any sort of NIL deals.
SFASawmillGuy
sfajack05 said:

Unless an alum wants to shell out money for an NIL deal I don't see how a local Nac business is going to benefit from a NIL deal with a student athlete.

You have a bunch of chain restaurants that don't care who we have as players unless there is a big upset (Duke/Bain) because people are going to go there no matter what.

Most local businesses are already well established and college kids aren't buying cars from Tipton or Rex Perry. When was the last time you saw a commerical for Butcher Boys?

The TV market isn't just Nacogdoches so you are competing with Longview, Tyler, and Lufkin as well.

Unless they are just big SFA supporters or want to do it out of the kindness of their heart I don't see many businesses doing any sort of NIL deals.

That's the thing, we should saturate the market in East Texas. A big push with the marketing needs to be to advertise the hell out of the Jacks. Market it to all of East texas as THE Division 1 team of East Texas. We can create a big draw from the Longview and Tyler area if we just marketed to them. Hell even Lufkin should be marketed to death.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

You do have to think outside the box a bit for SFA, but there's definitely more opportunities than just tv money. Social media is a huge area of opportunity locally.

• Car dealers can have autograph sessions/meet & greets
  • Clothing Boutiques can hire athletes as models.
  • Gyms can do spokesman deals, etc.
  • Restaurants can host a "meet Zya" night.

I think everyone would be surprised with how cheap some of these deals can be. Median NIL deal on Opendorse a few months back was $38 dollars.

We're not talking about any of our athletes getting big time dollars, but more spending money and in some cases, gift cards to the business. And compared to our peers at Sam, Tarleton, TX State? That's a recruiting advantage if we have it and they don't.

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

You do have to think outside the box a bit for SFA, but there's definitely more opportunities than just tv money. Social media is a huge area of opportunity locally.

I think everyone would be surprised with how cheap some of these deals can be. Median NIL deal on Opendorse a few months back was $38 dollars.

We're not talking about any of our athletes getting big time dollars, but more spending money and in some cases, gift cards to the business. And compared to our peers at Sam, Tarleton, TX State? That's a recruiting advantage if we have it and they don't.

Good ideas, Texan. But ideas without actions are just... ideas.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Good ideas, Texan. But ideas without actions are just... ideas.
I don't have the time right now but if I get some of these house projects knocked out by January, I'm gonna see about working on this problem.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

Are you suggesting that a high school kid is going to pick SFA because they can get a $38 NIL deal?

I had a "meet Zya" at the gas pump a couple of months ago. Didn't buy her gas because that would be an NCAA violation.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

Are you suggesting that a high school kid is going to pick SFA because they can get a $38 NIL deal?

I had a "meet Zya" at the gas pump a couple of months ago. Didn't buy her gas because that would be an NCAA violation.
If a larger number of SFA athletes are getting cash from NIL deals here and there that's going to reflect more positively on SFA than a school where they're not.

I suspect there's some number out there were the likelihood of picking SFA over a peer increases, but I'm not sure how high that number has to go. That Kansas walkon was ecstatic about his $800 dollar statewide applebees deal.

I think there could be a strategic advantage if say, local businesses combined to sign say, all the athletes on the women's basketball team. I'm betting the number is as low as $200 a month if a recruit is torn between SFA & say Lamar. Basically, I think we could strategically start to buy our way into conversations with better recruits if SFA was a known friendly NIL destination for our size.
TallTexan
Texas Boosters just announced a 10 million dollar NIL fund.
Jacks4460
My college roomates son plays at OU on scholarship and he gets $2200 per month for NIL through a Booster fund like the one Texan is talking about
nacluth
That's basically my paycheck for a month without the scholarship.
TallTexan
Wild amounts of money.

But I'd rather it go to the kids than tearing down and rebuilding the lockerroom every 6 months or to extra millions for the coaches.
nacluth
I hope financial counselors and retirement accounts come with all that money. Those kids should have a solid financial nest egg coming out of college despite not getting to play sports after school.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Texas Boosters just announced a 10 million dollar NIL fund.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Very creative ideas. Will other SFA athletes follow his lead?? Anything to beat off the hounds of other schools trying to steal our guys and gals.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.