PLF 2020-2021

6,116 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our university needs us now more than ever.
BigJack85
I'm going to do my part!
PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed. If you haven't seen it, year 2 of the PLF Tour will unfortunately only be online. I really enjoyed it last year and think it's a great idea. At least they are still doing it and promoting the "tour."

Jacks4460
You know I am all in... we are going after a NC in football..
sfajack05
I'll be joining this year.
Jacks4460
sfajack05 said:

Thanks sfajack05 PLF is a great thing and it really helps our young student athletes succeed...
sfajack05
Jacks4460 said:

sfajack05 said:

Thanks sfajack05 PLF is a great thing and it really helps our young student athletes succeed...
I like how you can either donate overall or donate to a specific sport.

What is the best option? I know football and basketball probably get most of the funds. I don't want to leave out the other sports.

TallTexan
Need to sit down with my wife and pick out a PLF amount.

On a similar note, I would absolutely donate a little extra every month if we had an Academic victory fund for Athletics.

I'd love to see our graduation rate in the high 90s for athletes.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
Really looking forward to the PLF Virtual Tour this Thursday night at 7:00 p.m.

This is one Lumberjack who's thirsting for a cool drink of SFA Athletics water in a desert of very little news. Some great SFA HC's on the agenda -- Carthel, Humphreys, Dickson, Keller..
SFAJack_76
I had not looked at the PLF site in some time. It has been updated.

https://purplelightsfund.org/index.aspx
SFAJack_76
Didn't want to start a new thread. Part of the team Ivey has built.
TallTexan
If I'm not mistaken, believe it's Brandi's team who caught the error that sent our wins on vacation.
PurpleOut
Staff
ljax1979
With all due respect, I think the Jeremy Darlow announcement couldn't have come at a worse time yesterday when you then turn around and ask for donations. I don't know what the investment was for his services but at this time is that really necessary?
SFAJack_76
ljax1979 said:

With all due respect, I think the Jeremy Darlow announcement couldn't have come at a worse time yesterday when you then turn around and ask for donations. I don't know what the investment was for his services but at this time is that really necessary?

Since the investment is for the student/athletes, I say yes.
TallTexan
Tbh, I don't know that we paid him.

WVU signed a volunteer contract for free that comes with his books/material.

Back in 2018 he said he was going to sign only 5 schools to work with, at around 2k per athlete. But there's no way we spent that, plus he's signed atleast 10 schools this summer from the size of Mercer up to Arizona.

I'm thinking he probably found some other way to monetize than signing big contracts.
ljax1979
I hope that is the case. There are power 5 schools across the country cutting staff and I hope we're not putting fiscal resources towards a service like this. There are a lot of other ways we can support our athletes rather than helping them with their personal "brand." Mercy, what does that even mean at this level? If it means that this will help them in their post-athletic careers that is great.
TallTexan
On our level it probably means a lot of local advertising and the ability to be paid to speak/coach.

Imagine QB1 throwing passes at the local Ford dealership, of John Comeaux cutting ads for a local gym. Hiring Kevon Harris to come talk to your company about work ethic, etc.

Sure, none of our guys are going to make what Sam Ehlinger would pull down, but there's a decent chance several of them could pull down 15-20k across a year.

Plus, just being in the same conversation as the big dogs gives us an advantage over every other FCS school who isn't having it.
ljax1979
I agree (as always) with a lot of what you say Tall Texan. I think the potential income you listed is very much on the high side for the Nacogdoches market. At the end of the day, I'm all for helping students...though I think whatever funds/resources we have in this area could be better used to help all of our athletes with their post-athletic careers than what their earning potential could be while at SFA. I've been incredibly impressed with Ryan Ivey and if our partnership with Jeremy Darlow helps us get a recruit over Sam or McNeese than that's great as well.
SFAJack_76
Darlow is free.
SFAJack_76
From Ryan Ivey:

"Its a 9 month course that Jeremy put together for student-athletes. He is only partnering with a select number of institutions on the beginning and we just happened to catch him through some of our contacts. Athletes will go through the course and at the end will have a written brand management plan for themselves and have the ability to understand how to leverage their brand to help their future."

Don't hesitate to reach out to him if you have other questions.
SFAJack_76
This is why we support our student-athletes through PLF.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/community-interview-everything-you

This is a fantastic read from Matt Brown on ticketing and attendance in college sports. Didn't feel it needed a stand alone thread and seems to be similar to our PLF goals, so posting it here.
BigJack85
This latest PLF fund request is especially well done. Each sport has a specific project. To me that is really a great way to get people to build around a common goal. Axe 'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

This latest PLF find request is especially well done. Each sport has a specific project. To me that is really a great way to get people to build around a common goal. Axe 'Em Jacks

Agree. I have shared with Tyler Boone that a line of sight to where the money is being spent means a lot.

Debbie Humphreys has a really good network heavy to volleyball alumni. She reaches out with a specific need, and gets good results.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

This latest PLF find request is especially well done. Each sport has a specific project. To me that is really a great way to get people to build around a common goal. Axe 'Em Jacks

Agree. I have shared with Tyler Boone that a line of sight to where the money is being spent means a lot.

Debbie Humphreys has a really good network heavy to volleyball alumni. She reaches out with a specific need, and gets good results.

From what I've seen on social media, Baseball Coach Cardenas is doing some good work with his alumni!
SFAJack_76
Soccer coach also.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Soccer coach also.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.