SFA Athletic Media

13,271 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This from the op/ed page of the Lufkin Daily News yesterday following a toast about what Carthel is achieving in turning the program around:

"A roast to SFA's sports information department, which is more interested in sugarcoating losses than stating facts on the school's athletic website. We appreciate that it's their job to promote the athletic program, but it's still beyond laughable that they won't even mention who won or a final score in a headline of a story for any loss. We've reported thousands of losses by simply stating facts over the years without offending players or coaches of that team. In fact, most coaches will tell you failures make the future successes that much more meaningful.

Carthel doesn't want to hide the fact that the team has a ton of work ahead of it in order to turn the program from a laughingstock into a national powerhouse. Why can't the sports information department follow the lead of its coach, who just happens to already have a championship ring on his finger?"

Sound familiar?
TallTexan
I do wish they'd put the score first, and then the puff piece headline.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Sound familiar?

Yep! Good to see that people outside of the Sawmill have noticed that pablum sportswriting from SFA's sports media. We've seen it for almost a year.
djsfw57
I'm 2 days past glad the Lufkin News said that. It's insulting to read this "I'm great, you're great" BS on the web page day after day. We are all adults and can easily take the truth. I HATE reading stupid crap like "Johnny kicked the best field goal of his career" when we lost the game by 70 points. I'll never understand why they are allergic to saying "SFA lost".
SFAJack_76
Charlie Hurley, Director of Strategic Communications, is leaving this week for a job at the University of New Mexico.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Charlie Hurley, Director of Strategic Communications, is leaving this week for a job at the University of New Mexico.
I wish we could get these guys to swap jobs out of season.

Charlie does a great job with the in game social media feeds, I hope we have his replacement lined up.
TallTexan

In case anyone is interested.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
The lead line of the story on yesterday's Ladyjack game.

"NACOGDOCHES, TX -- The SFA men's basketball team scored 21 points off of turnovers on the way to a 75-32 victory against the LSU-Shreveport Pilots at home Sunday."

We need a quality SID in the worst way.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

"NACOGDOCHES, TX -- The SFA men's basketball team scored 21 points off of turnovers on the way to a 75-32 victory against the LSU-Shreveport Pilots at home Sunday."

And the heading on the article about the Jacks' win over ULM said the Jacks won 666-59. It was corrected a day later. How can anyone make such a childish mistake on a university's website???
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

And the heading on the article about the Jacks' win over ULM said the Jacks won 666-59. It was corrected a day later. How can anyone make such a childish mistake on a university's website???
And, the line on the Ladyjack game story has been corrected.
SFAJack_76
This is on the bio on the NSD page of two of the recruits. One of them did not go to Iowa Western.

"Prior to SFA
  • Played in six games at Iowa Western
  • Named all-conference honorable mention"
SFAJack_76
65tosspowertrap
spent two years as asst. SID what seems like 100 years go ('88-90)...salary was non-existent, but I had the time of my life, especially being blessed to work there when football team was in the glory days (Hammel, Centers, et al) and the Ladyjacks were top-ranked team of all schools in Texas, going to Sweet 16 twice...we were as low-tech as you can imagine in the press box, but we managed to get it done. Miss so many good people I worked with and learned from...I wonder what's going on these days, given the criticism SID's office is getting, but I'm not there and y'all know a lot more...seems a shame.

Merry Christmas to all,
C. Martin '87
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
cboothe09
They are hiring for a new Strategic Communications position now. I expect it to be cleaned up. SFA has been very fortunate to have a strong Media Relations department for a while now. I have full faith we get back to what we are used to seeing soon....
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
I understand the athletic department team is almost back to full strength. Alex Bell, Creative Video Producer.

SFA Jack Fanatic
They are actually including the scores in the headings of most of their BB articles now. Someone must have whispered in their ear about their former milk toast headings.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

They are actually including the scores in the headings of most of their BB articles now. Someone must have whispered in their ear about their former milk toast headings.
Different people. Also, they do read and listen to feedback.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah it's pretty interesting. Not that this is something that they should tell the public, but it seems like almost all of the older members of the AD are gone or in different positions. Especially when it comes to marketing and social media.

Travis Turner is now with the Alumni Association as the Coordinator of Communications and Sponsorships. He was the main guy behind our social media graphics.

So I think we see why there was a drop off the past few months. I expect that to get back to where it was, at least starting in the Fall.
SFAJack_76
These are really good.
nacluth
They are. Glad they got a good photographer.
SFAJack_76
Two photographers.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

This is awesome.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
That is awesome!
SFAJack_76
Evan Luecke is the photographer. He is our Director of Digital Media.
SFAJack_76
Creative media bunch.
sfajack05
I saw a parent was giving Ivey and the department crap this weekend because of baseball coverage. For the size of our university I think the department does a damn fine job of covering all sports. I know there some hiccups this year with all the moves but all the videos and content they put out are damn good.
PurpleOut
Staff
Her and there was another older gentleman that keeps tagging me in tweets complaining about how bad the media department is. Sometimes you just can't please everyone.

That lady lost her mind the other night.
Pilotgirl
sfajack05 said:

I saw a parent was giving Ivey and the department crap this weekend because of baseball coverage. For the size of our university I think the department does a damn fine job of covering all sports. I know there some hiccups this year with all the moves but all the videos and content they put out are damn good.
Yeah, that lady is cray cray. The game was in Portland ...give me a break! I bet that kid is super embarrassed right now...i know I would be!
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Evan Luecke is the photographer. He is our Director of Digital Media.
We aren't gonna have him long...very talented.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Her and there was another older gentleman that keeps tagging me in tweets complaining about how bad the media department is. Sometimes you just can't please everyone.

While I was visiting with Ryan at the tailgate Saturday, this came up. He was stunned that something he meant to be a positive was attacked by someone. He did the right thing by stopping the Twitter interaction by saying for her to sit down with him to discuss anytime. Helicopter patents can be unfortunate.
sfajack05
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

While I was visiting with Ryan at the tailgate Saturday, this came up. He was stunned that something he meant to be a positive was attacked by someone. He did the right thing by stopping the Twitter interaction by saying for her to sit down with him to discuss anytime. Helicopter patents can be unfortunate.
I'm curious how she reacted during high school. Wonder if she called out the local paper for not covering her son's team or lack of coverage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.