SFA President Search Thread

65,314 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here we are again friends. An SFA search thread. In the past 12 months we've seen great change in our athletic department. Our longtime AD retired and has been replaced by the superb Ryan Ivey. A new football coach has been named to lead us back to the promised land(more like to the mountaintop, the promised Land lies in March.)

On the university side, we took a big step forward with our new STEM Building and hit our long awaited 13k enrollment marker. Now, arguably the most important leader of our University, President Patillo has announced his retirement.

I feel like we're at a critical juncture for SFA. We've made good progress under Patillo's tenure. We've captured some national name recognition and we've built quite a few new buildings on campus. He's set us up to hire our Brad Underwood so to speak. Someone who can come in and build on the foundation to soaring heights.

We have the unique opportunity to become the de facto university of East Texas. It's something that UT Tyler continually mentions as their goal. We must beat them to it. We can get on a sustainable path to 15-17k students over the next 12 years. We can continue to improve our methods to be one of the leading undergraduate institutions in Texas as more and more of our in state peers pour their money into graduate programs.

We have the ability to put SFA on the same level of perceived public prestige as UH, UTSA, UNT, etc. Some of our programs, like Finance, Speech Therapy, and nursing already churn out graduates with experience levels that are on par with UT and A&M.

We have an opportunity over the next 5 years to meet and exceed our proposed $100 million for 100 years fundraising goal.

All in all, our future looks bright if we can seize it. I'll add some ideal candidates to this thread later on, but tell me, what do you hope to see in the next university president?
SFAXE93

Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio
Current salary $342,000
https://www.tarleton.edu/president/about/bio-dominic-full.html

No brainer, and he would get to keep his purple tie collection.

Others

Adam C. Wright
https://www.dbu.edu/president

Math wiz

Dr. Edward B. Burger
https://www.southwestern.edu/live/news/7715-edward-b-burger-named-southwesterns-15th-president

Danny J. Anderson PH.D
https://inside.trinity.edu/directory/danderson

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
What would Dottavio's motivation be for coming to SFA? Looks very much like a lateral move.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

What would Dottavio's motivation be for coming to SFA? Looks very much like a lateral move.

He's got a master's degree in Forestry, and Tarleton is a bit devoid of trees for a Lumberjack like himself.

In all seriousness though, I think we're a step up from Tarleton in name recognition and potential. He's spent his time at Tarleton trying to build them into our level, but I think he's a natural fit.
BigJack85
Every hire is critical. I think we made a mistake hiring Dan Angel. I don't think he wanted to be at SFA, just used it for a stepping stone. Baker did good stuff but we need new innovative degrees and enrollment growth. 13,144.... really. I think we can be 12,500 undergrads and 2,500 graduate students in a few years with the right leadership.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Also think our online enrollment hasn't matched projected demand. That's a big area for growth.

And international students are a huge boon for campus, they're excellent students and also pay top tuition rates.

Those are all great ways to grow.
nacluth
I would like someone that focuses on strengthening the academic strengths of SFA. I'm not sure I think enrollment increases are as important to me though I'm not against them. I would like us to be known as the top forestry, top education, and top nursing school in Texas. These are all strong programs, but I would like them to be the best. I'm very pleased with the new STEM building as someone who started SFA with a Physics scholarship and came back to SFA as a geology grad student. However, the sciences and liberal arts schools have ok reputations. While I wish they were better, I would like a new president to help put us on the map as the BEST.

The current modernization building project is something to continue along with the current course of our athletics. But reinforcing what we have to me seems the prudent way to go instead of expansion. I may be in the minority though.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Great points NacLuth. Much of what you pointed out matches my vision for SFA.
TallTexan
Nacluth, totally agree with you on the prestige side. Part of it is marketing, we need to let people know which of our programs are already excellent. I wish the Texas tribune would do a program by program ranking for Texas colleges instead of us relying on US news.

And the reason I think we should expand some is two fold. First, the university has set a goal of increased enrollment and if we're going to set it as a goal, I think we should hit it.

In addition to that, Texas population is expanding, so even if we grow our student body while also improving our current programs, there are more great students than ever before.

So basically, I think we can do both over the next 10-15 years, especially if we rock that fundraising goal.
TallTexan
If you want a President who knows a thing or two(or twelve) about building excellent programs, Dr Inga Musselman at UT Dallas would likely be an excellent hire. She currently serves as Provost.

https://provost.utdallas.edu/musselman
TallTexan
Here's a cool list of innovative colleges that might be interesting to look at some candidates from.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/innovative

Ones that come to mind for scoring far higher than their university's academic ranking are Georgia State, UMBC, and Portland State.
TallTexan
Dr Lindquist would seem to be an excellent option. Former UT professor and current VP of academic affairs at Arizona State. Salary is right around the 350k it appears.

https://isearch.asu.edu/profile/3033197

Could be hugely beneficial for us with donors/government.
TallTexan
Feel like Dr Renick from Georgia State would be a great addition.

https://shared.cas.gsu.edu/profile/timothy-renick/

Not sure his current salary though.
BigJack85
I will be interested to see how far outside the "family" they go. My guess is not that much. We'll see. I wouldn't even be surprised to see someone internal to fill the job.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I will be interested to see how far outside the "family" they go. My guess is not that much. We'll see. I wouldn't even be surprised to see someone internal to fill the job.
They'd have to make a heck of a case for an internal candidate for me to support them. Just feel like we need some fresh ideas from an outsider.
BigJack85
Agreed. We need fresh ideas. One of the harder angles to figure is commitment to intercollegiate athletics. SFA had better consider that closely. We had a president (briefly) in the early 90's that wanted to gut and even eliminate athletics. Yes eliminate. He ultimately resigned or was fired. The board had not secured that commitment before hiring.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Agreed. We need fresh ideas. One of the harder angles to figure is commitment to intercollegiate athletics. SFA had better consider that closely. We had a president (briefly) in the early 90's that wanted to gut and even eliminate athletics. Yes eliminate. He ultimately resigned or was fired. The board had not secured that commitment before hiring.
Ouch. That'd be a terrible mistake to make.
BigJack85
Thus, my comment about an internal candidate. I'm biased but I'd like to see Kimberly Childs get a shot. Imagine her in Austin. She'd knock it out of the park. Fundraising for STEM!!!
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Thus, my comment about an internal candidate. I'm biased but I'd like to see Kimberly Childs get a shot. Imagine her in Austin. She'd knock it out of the park. Fundraising for STEM!!!

I definitely like her background, I just feel like the current regime has gotten a little stale.

I want a CDC/Ivey type who can come in and get everyone excited, everyone pulling in the same direction.
TallTexan
Athletic Director: National Search Announced
Football Coach: National Search Announced
University President: Crickets.....

We're going to do a national search right?
drhuggybear
TallTexan said:

Athletic Director: National Search Announced
Football Coach: National Search Announced
University President: Crickets.....

We're going to do a national search right?
I was going to post the same thing. Within a day or so of the opening an announcement of a national search was made. Dr. Pattillo resigns and we haven't heard anything about it.

Makes me think its internal and that one of the things that Dr. Pattillo has done is used his "power/influence" to name his successor.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
nacluth
Internal positions like coaches and AD are interviewed and hired by administration. President searches are usually under Board of Regents' responsibility. Boards are so slow about everything because by state law they have to post everything on an agenda, can't talk about things in private, and have to record and discuss at public meetings. They are the worst.

They probably were just able to accept the resignation at the last meeting under the general guise of employee decisions. Next meeting will probably have the prime job of picking a search firm.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Internal positions like coaches and AD are interviewed and hired by administration. President searches are usually under Board of Regents' responsibility. Boards are so slow about everything because by state law they have to post everything on an agenda, can't talk about things in private, and have to record and discuss at public meetings. They are the worst.

They probably were just able to accept the resignation at the last meeting under the general guise of employee decisions. Next meeting will probably have the prime job of picking a search firm.

So you're saying there's still time to put together Sawmill Search Solutions' proposal?
nacluth
Exactly!
TallTexan
We'll give them a discount,but obviously we can't work for free.
SFAJack_76
In case you missed this:

"The SFA Board of Regents unanimously voted in January to hire R. William Funk & Associates, a Dallas-based executive search firm with a history in higher education, to lead the search for a new SFA president.

Former SFA President Dr. Baker Pattillo passed away Dec. 29. An SFA employee for more than 50 years, Pattillo began serving as president in 2006.

R. William Funk & Associates has placed presidents for universities including Rutgers, Purdue, Auburn, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Southern Methodist and Clemson. The firm will assist in identifying candidates and will collaborate with a university search committee to select finalists."
TallTexan
Wow. Can't wait to see.

Any ideas on how long of a process this usually is?
Pilotgirl
All of it takes a bit of time....forming the committee, interviews, etc. I would anticipate interviews by late March/early April and then maybe even down to a couple candidates from there. I guestimate an announcement by end of semester/early Summer.
BigJack85
Haven't seen Drhuggybear on here. Anyone know what happened???
Jacks4460
Dr Dattavio would be perfect for SFA... I saw him work in Stephenville for 2 years straight and he is a winner, motivator,traditionalist,and genuine person.. his record speaks for itself.. Look how he has grown that university. I remember sitting in on an event he called 20 in 2020 which was his goal for students in 2020 and withthe campuses they have opened in Ft Worth and Waco believe they are pushing that number..He is super transparent and puts eveything on you tube.. All his visions and such for the university.. Plus he has his masters in Forestry.. We have the best Forestry Department in the southeast US.. He can grow one of his passions..
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Haven't seen Drhuggybear on here. Anyone know what happened???

He posted on another thread last week.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Dr Dattavio would be perfect for SFA... I saw him work in Stephenville for 2 years straight and he is a winner, motivator,traditionalist,and genuine person.. his record speaks for itself.. Look how he has grown that university. I remember sitting in on an event he called 20 in 2020 which was his goal for students in 2020 and withthe campuses they have opened in Ft Worth and Waco believe they are pushing that number..He is super transparent and puts eveything on you tube.. All his visions and such for the university.. Plus he has his masters in Forestry.. We have the best Forestry Department in the southeast US.. He can grow one of his passions..

He definitely seems like a good fit on paper.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

He definitely seems like a good fit on paper.
It looks like the pay move is a lateral one... He would be an awsome one tho.. He would also be the type that would give you an ear to the College of Health that you have put much thought into..
TallTexan
Pay move is lateral, but we're a step above as a Uni. He's trying to build Tarleton into an SFA level school.

At SFA, he'd be helping us move up a level too.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Pay move is lateral, but we're a step above as a Uni. He's trying to build Tarleton into an SFA level school.

At SFA, he'd be helping us move up a level too.
Yes sir.. I agree..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.