Capital Improvements

13,601 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All should remember that no permanent structures can be built in the current field location due to it being in a floodplain.

For those that have not been by the field, the fence is complete. The fraternity came forward saying they wanted to help with funding for grandstands. Because of the floodplain, these cannot be permanent. SFA is the only SLC soccer program without grandstands. What is being looked at will include over 400 chair-back seats for season ticket holders. Yes, with the fence and grandstands, we will start charging admission. The 400 number came from an interest survey. These improvements will also allow SFA to host tournaments. The fraternity is enlisting assistance from other campus organizations to help with the fund raising. Current plans include a concert and various raffles. For example, they have acquired tickets to the ALDS to raffle. There is an understanding that the facility will need to be dog friendly. For those that have not been to a match, a lot of people bring their dogs.

Still a lot of details to work through. This is a quite high level summary as I understand it.
BigJack85
Hey. At least it's a start. I'm so proud to hear that a fraternity has stepped forward to lead this noble endeavor. My hope is that they stay with it , this won't be easy.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfajack05
I saw my chapter also reached out to the soccer coach to see what they can do to help.
TallTexan
Putting this here so we don't clog up the football thread:

Made it to my first football game of the year last night, so glad to see SFA win.

But the stadium leaves so much to be desired. If we think Football is gonna be a viable sport 30 years from now(not just at SFA, but football in general), we really need to invest in a cozier stadium.

I feel like we lose any home field advantages that our SLC leading crowds may provide us. That place would rock if it wasn't so huge.
PurpleOut
Staff
I agree, and wish we could. I just don't see anything like that happening until we're able to raise a lot of money or find a new/big donor willing to make it happen.

I got to experience the endzone boxes yesterday, and it's a huge step up in the atmosphere. Thought they looked great from a distance walking up, and like the setting it adds so close to the field. That's obviously a small step, but it's a great use of that space. I wish we could add seating behind the other endzone, but we just don't have enough fans to warrant it. There were maybe 54 students at the game yesterday, and almost no student tailgating.
TallTexan
Yep the boxes looked super nice. A nice addition.

Didn't think it was bad attendence for a 1-8 team, but obviously would like to see it packed every week.

I think a football stadium is doable, especially if we keep it in the 12-15 range. After all, the basketball practice facility is a pricey addition, but a great investment in a program with huge potential.
TallTexan
I thought there were some very interesting bullet points in Ivey's presentation to the BOR. If anyone knows where the stream is, I'm happy to watch & expand on these.

http://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/athletics-report-ivey-10.27-18.19.pdf

Notables:

• Weaknesses section focuses specifically on degradation of facilities. Lack of space for nutrition, student training, study halls, & weight room space.
  • Mentions that off campus for Bowling/Baseball/Softball
  • Points out that teams miss practices because of lack of an indoor training facility & points out that it might be a fit for a public/private partnership. Westlake HS did something similar a few years back.
  • Coaches office space is listed as "infested".
  • Challenges listed include changing conference memberships & affiliations causing uncertainty in college sports.

Funding Challenges:
  • New funding models. These include purple lights fund, outbound ticket sales, creating a media portfolio of logos to boost licensing revenue opportunities.
  • Also mentions that they want to boost facilities usage fees by reaching out to entities. I'd guess HS playoffs, stuff like that.
  • Notes a dedicated athletics fee(though to be fair, there not any additional detail, but glad it's on Ivey's radar)

Opportunities:
  • Wants to partner with the University to help tell the SFA story(I love this, our athletics department is 100x better at marketing than the University itself is)
Develop a facilities master plan(Areas of emphasis
  • Creating an athletic village
  • Indoor facility for use by all sports
  • Field House: Expansion of office space, locker rooms, nutrition space, etc
  • Homer Bryce Stadium
  • Baseball/Softball
  • Soccer/Track(notable in that this would seem to suggest that track may not always be at Homer Bryce)
  • Shelton Gym

Hiring Ivey is a gamechanger if he can accomplish half the stuff on this list. I can't wait to see that facilities master plan.
SFAJack_76
What Ivey really needs is strong support from the new president. It is still way early, but indications are that he has that in Dr. Gordon. He has been very visible at sporting events, and has made nearly every PLF luncheon. Dr. Westbrook has also continued to be very active and visible with athletics.

Exciting times.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

What Ivey really needs is strong support from the new president. It is still way early, but indications are that he has that in Dr. Gordon. He has been very visible at sporting events, and has made nearly every PLF luncheon. Dr. Westbrook has also continued to be very active and visible with athletics.

Exciting times.
Agreed. Seems like Gordon knows how valuable athletics are to marketing the university. He was a few rows in front of us at the LeTourneau game. Glad to see him showing up publicly.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Need Fine Arts to churn out some SFA documentaries.
Pilotgirl
A MBB doc would be awesome.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

New decade, New architectural style.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

A MBB doc would be awesome.

I want a MBB doc and a doc on the party school years.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.