Capital Improvements

13,599 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In addition to the projects mentioned in other threads, the BOR discussed these in executive session:

"Deliberations Regarding the Purchase, Exchange, Lease, Sale or Value of Real Property (Texas Government Code, Section 551.072)

Possible Real Estate Purchase

Deliberations Regarding Negotiated Contracts for Prospective Gifts or Donations (Texas Government Code, Section 551.073)

Possible Naming Opportunities

Acceptance of Possible Gifts to the University"

I find the possible real estate purchase most interesting.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

In addition to the projects mentioned in other threads, the BOR discussed these in executive session:

"Deliberations Regarding the Purchase, Exchange, Lease, Sale or Value of Real Property (Texas Government Code, Section 551.072)

Possible Real Estate Purchase

Deliberations Regarding Negotiated Contracts for Prospective Gifts or Donations (Texas Government Code, Section 551.073)

Possible Naming Opportunities

Acceptance of Possible Gifts to the University"

I find the possible real estate purchase most interesting.
SFAJACK76 after I forgot to stream the BOR meeting I went and read all 360 something pages myself and I was thinking the exact same thing..
tangerito
I would guess that they are discussing the property on University Drive between the commuter parking lot and the Post Office. Its currently for sale.
TallTexan
Noticed on Saturday that some land between the Post Office on University Dr and the Commuter lot was for sale. I would have guessed we already owned all that land, but who knows.

Does anyone know if we own the land at the corner of Starr and North Street(where Casa Tomas and Little Ceasers are)?
SFAJack_76
If, baseball/softball are going to be on campus, property will have to be acquired. That presumes the Starr/University corner where Pilgram was going is off limits.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

If, baseball/softball are going to be on campus, property will have to be acquired. That presumes the Starr/University corner where Pilgram was going is off limits.
Didn't they add a Physical Plant building there or something? I couldn't see them building over that.
TallTexan
Does anybody have a link for the land for sale near the post office on University? I've searched but can't find it.
SFAXE93
Local commercial listing in Nac.

The whole damn town is for sale.

http://commercial.cpre.com/properties-sale.php

PurpleOut
Staff
That's very interesting. Especially the land next to the post office.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Honestly surprised we didn't already own it.
BigJack85
I hope so.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Honestly surprised we didn't already own it.

Exactly.
TallTexan
http://www.thepinelog.com/news/article_50c71594-e87f-11e8-b87d-f3ead8605c3b.html

They purchased a different piece of land, which I'm also surprised we didn't already own.
BigJack85
I read a plan that says the long term plan is to purchase the entire corner. This would better "frame" the campus. While it is certainly one of the most scenic campuses in the state that, (the purchase of the corner) would top it off!
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I read a plan that says the long term plan is to purchase the entire corner. This would better "frame" the campus. While it is certainly one of the most scenic campuses in the state that, (the purchase of the corner) would top it off!

Agreed. I had already assumed we owned the entire corner on that side. But we definitely should own it.

I also wonder if we'll pick up the piece over by the commuter lot.
BigJack85
Has anyone heard of progress on the coliseum upgrades and other campus buildings???
Jacks4460
Basketball training facility will start this spring... not sure about the other improvements..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Basketball training facility will start this spring... not sure about the other improvements..

Have they released any mockups of it yet?
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Nothing released yet.. Just those plans you saw in the BOR meeting..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Nothing released yet.. Just those plans you saw in the BOR meeting..

I really, really, really hope we take this opportunity to remove the giant slope in front of WRJ to make a plaza type area.

Would be great for tailgating, events, etc out front.
SFAJack_76
It is anticipated that the groundbreaking for the basketball facility will be in June. The goal is to have it ready for fall 2020.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

It is anticipated that the groundbreaking for the basketball facility will be in June. The goal is to have it ready for fall 2020.

That's a fast turnaround.
TallTexan
I know we've talked about the flood plain through the middle of campus a few times, but thought you guys might want to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214817343161100&set=a.1598595718748&type=3&theater

If you click on Peggy's page, she's also got a few drone shots that her grandson took looking North towards WRJ.
BigJack85
I kind of view William R Johnson as the "House that Walkup Built" ,,, That's pending the BOR getting this thing funded and built.

If Carthel does what we all hope he can I hope that Homer Bryce can eventually become "The House that Carthel Built".
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I kind of view William R Johnson as the "House that Walkup Built" ,,, That's pending the BOR getting this thing funded and built.

If Carthel does what we all hope he can I hope that Homer Bryce can eventually become "The House that Carthel Built".

The house that Carthel built and Purpleout designed.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
Wow! Is this saying we may get an on-campus baseball facility?!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Great....sounds promising.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Wow! Is this saying we may get an on-campus baseball facility?!
New facility? Perhaps. On campus? Due to lack of non-floodplain space, I doubt it.
New or meaningfully upgraded baseball and softball facilities? In time, I think yes.
SFAJack_76
Good to see the attempt at communicating what is going on. Some of the student comments on Twitter indicate that many don't have any idea. Or, perhaps they just like to complain.
SFAJack_76
Not sure where to put this. Not even clear what it is.
nacluth
Interesting. I've wondered before why fraternities/sororities didn't use their service projects for stuff like this. I have just always assumed there was a propriety or conflict of interest issue. It will be interesting to see this develop.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm not sure what that means either, but definitely interesting.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Interesting. I've wondered before why fraternities/sororities didn't use their service projects for stuff like this. I have just always assumed there was a propriety or conflict of interest issue. It will be interesting to see this develop.

Every little bit helps! I was a fraternity guy....
BigJack85
I would be interested in hearing more about the "project" and how Delta Tau Delta is assisting.

When they announced the soccer fundraising effort a couple years ago the facility that was envisioned was going to cost about $1.5 million (if my recollection is good). I heard that they raised something close to $120,000, which would cover the cost of the locker room basically. My guess is that for $1,000,000 you could get a couple offices, bathrooms and a very modest locker room but not much else.... If the DTD's are committing to raise say $20,000 a year over the next 5 years it could move the needle if some other private donors came forward. Intriguing , it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see this help it turn the corner.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.