Purple Lights Fund (old Varsity Club)

28,835 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Received mine about a week ago. Will be writing the check in about 10 days. Happy to be a part of some meaningful steps forward.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76

Perhaps someone should change the topic title from Varsity Club, which no longer exists, to Purple Lights Fund.
nacluth
Well maybe Matt has a way, but with my limited mod control I can't.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Interesting that PLF is just general athletics giving, but sport specific is going to be the Victory Fund. Couldn't find any Victory Fund info. Maybe it's still being created.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Thanks Alan.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Everyone neeeds to join in some capacity or another...
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Good things happening.
SFAJack_76
Sent our contribution in this week.
BigJack85
Really cool.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Anyone else going to be at the stop in Dallas Friday?

Good turnout in Longview: https://www.easttexasmatters.com/sports/sfa-athletics-announces-purple-lights-tour-to-meet-coaches/
BigJack85
I'm doing the Houston one tomorrow night.
Pilotgirl
So whoever met my daughter last night at the PLF in Houston, THANK YOU. You told her I have " pretty strong opinions". I thought we all had opinions on this board? And I don't know why mine are strong compared to the rest who post here? Again, thank you because we are ALL entitled to opinions, no matter their strength. That is the way I was raised and that is how I have raised my independent daughter, who is doing a great job learning & working in the professional sports business. I would like to think I had a hand in influencing her just a bit
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

So whoever met my daughter last night at the PLF in Houston, THANK YOU. You told her I have " pretty strong opinions". I thought we all had opinions on this board? And I don't know why mine are strong compared to the rest who post here? Again, thank you because we are ALL entitled to opinions, no matter their strength. That is the way I was raised and that is how I have raised my independent daughter, who is doing a great job learning & working in the professional sports business. I would like to think I had a hand in influencing her just a bit

That was me and it was meant as a compliment! I had a nice 10 minute chat with a really smart young lady. Thanks for bringing her into the Lumberjack family.
Pilotgirl
She's a keeper....and is a proud Lumberjack! And Texans fan Lol she is loving her work environment!

Any news to share about the PLF?
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

She's a keeper....and is a proud Lumberjack! And Texans fan Lol she is loving her work environment!

Any news to share about the PLF?

I could probably go on for a while but my general takeaway was that Colby Carthel is a winner an will get us over hump quicker than we think. The rest of it was interesting but not particularly earth shattering. I would be glad to share more on the Premium side.
PurpleOut
Staff
Ryan, Tyler and the rest of the AD are doing a tremendous job running with this. You can tell there's a higher level of excitement through the staff, and it all starts from Ryan and his visions for the department.

I think one of the most important aspects to growing all of this, is the fans like us on here. We already know a lot about what goes on with our teams. We follow closely, and we obviously discuss it frequently here. But we all know a LOT of friends, alumni, etc that don't. They're the one's that we need to get to. They're the one's we need to get back to Nacogdoches for a game or two. Wear your purple out and don't be afraid to go up to someone you see in an SFA shirt or hat and start talking to them about the changes coming not only with the AD, but with the entire school. I know several posters said last year that they were able to get some friends to start donating at the lowest level. That's a fantastic way to get them started and get them involved.

I think when everyone sees what is going in to making us the best Mid-Major Athletic Department in the country...they'll start to fully believe like us here and everything will continue to take off.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

So whoever met my daughter last night at the PLF in Houston, THANK YOU. You told her I have " pretty strong opinions".

PG has some pretty strong opinions?? NO WAY!! (Psssttt... We wouldn't have it any other way...)
Pilotgirl
Good answer... lol
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
So paid parking now?
PurpleOut
Staff
I think we all need to be prepared for some changes like this, we're just in the beginning of a lot of progression for the school and athletic department. And with that comes changes and potential extra costs. The way our athletic department worked in the past was very static and complacent, which carried over to a large portion of our fans.

We need to understand that the athletic department can't pay for everything by itself. The importance of giving, buying season tickets has always been important...but the PLF is trying to make that more apparent. If we can't get more/everyone on board with that...then we won't grow the athletic department and university the way we want. There's going to be a lot of people that don't understand the message upfront. Paying for parking, not getting discounts on season tickets, etc. But an athletic department isn't here to give discounts and provide a "club mentality" atmosphere, that's what we had in the past.

The PLF is being (somewhat) modeled around a lot of the similar giving programs at larger schools. Which is exactly what we've needed for a long time. There will be more content and info out soon as we get ready for the fall.
Pilotgirl
I was just asking a question bc I didn't know I think this may affect attendance at games, IMHO. I will def have to factor that in with my giving & season ticket costs. Wish we knew how much parking is going to be. I have handicap parking so mine might be more bc it is in the higher level but just speculating.
Pilotgirl
Not for sure if parking will be an extra cost or if PLF reserved parking is a benefit...still confused lol
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Not for sure if parking will be an extra cost or if PLF reserved parking is a benefit...still confused lol
Season tickets plus a PLF giving of $250 or more gets you the corresponding parking level for your PLF contribution. This year, at least, all of the other parking is still free.

See pages six and seven..

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/sfajacks.com/documents/2019/5/30/2019_SFA_Purple_Lights_Fund_Giving_Guide_NO_MARKS.pdf

Does that help?
SFAJack_76
The main difference in parking that I see from prior, is that the Varsity Club did not require season ticket purchase also for the preferred parking areas. The only difference I see in preferred parking from prior years is a little more of the commuter lot for basketball.
Pilotgirl
Yup thanks! My brain is a mess. Trying to pack for new job Monday AND sell a house...no fun!
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Yup thanks! My brain is a mess. Trying to pack for new job Monday AND sell a house...no fun!
Brutal. You got this!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.