Welecome Ryan Ivey

32,847 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

So far I'm impressed with Ivey. Despite my claims of SFA being woefully underfunded athletically we are still better funded than almost all of the SLC schools. Based on my research only Sam Houston has a higher effective budget. The qualifier "effective" is used to offset the fact that UIW and the other private universities spend significantly more money when you qualify that part of that cost of the actual scholarship which at a private university is significantly higher.

My reason for mentioning this is , the way I see it getting more external funds raised and completing one of the minor projects that need to be done. Getting an actual soccer field house with toilets etc. Either moving baseball on campus or update/expand the current field house... If Ivey gets a couple of those things done in the next 4-5 years he will have knocked it out of the park. Literally and figuratively.

If he can get the students to vote for an ath fee then it will explode....The facilities will be built and athletes will come..
I certainly think he'd do the marketing better, but it might take a while before he has the political capital to put it up for a vote. Maybe once the 100 Million for 100 years campaign is well underway.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
When does the vote come back up again? I keep forgetting how that works.

He knows this, but we need Ryan and the entire department to "talk" directly to the students. Too few of them actually knew what the vote was for. If they hear it directly from him, it will go a lot further.
BigJack85
It would also help to have a "younger" alumni like yourself be a part of the positive aspects of the athletic department as far as how it reflects on the university's notoriety and or visibility.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
We're gonna have to go all out blitz to get that passed when it comes up again. Ad campaigns, Ivey, etc.
BigJack85
If I'm Ryan Ivey I'm taking a close look at the MBB program at the end of the season. If we are going to build basketball training facility I think it would be nice to know we've got more than a great recruiter at the helm. Danny wasn't a great recruiter.... he was good. He (Danny) was an excellent X's and O's Coach even though he emphasized defense over everything.

We need both a recruiter and a head coach.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

If I'm Ryan Ivey I'm taking a close look at the MBB program at the end of the season. If we are going to build basketball training facility I think it would be nice to know we've got more than a great recruiter at the helm. Danny wasn't a great recruiter.... he was good. He (Danny) was an excellent X's and O's Coach even though he emphasized defense over everything.

We need both a recruiter and a head coach.
Based on results from A&M-Commerce and Austin Peay, plus six months of personal observation at SFA, I am confident in saying that Ryan Ivey knows how to do his job. I am also certain that he understands the professional importance in getting a return on the significant investment in the basketball programs that the BOR has entrusted him and his staff with.
BigJack85
No doubt about RI. I'm just stating what should be obvious to most in this board. Keller seems like a good guy, great recruiter and maybe a good coach. We will find out more about his coaching skills in the next 5 weeks.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

No doubt about RI. I'm just stating what should be obvious to most in this board. Keller seems like a good guy, great recruiter and maybe a good coach. We will find out more about his coaching skills in the next 5 weeks.
Hell of a recruiter but to me his coaching skills are not there and this season is proving it.

The team has looked lost and sloppy all year and he looks loss every game on the sideline.
TallTexan
I don't understand the bad coach line of thinking. You'd have to assume a lot of things to reach that conclusion to me.

First, that he managed to rise through the ranks and get high major jobs through sheer mediocrity.

2nd, that your average Southland conference coach is better than an average high major assistant.

Now it could be that his coaching style just doesn't work here or there's some other disconnect, but to just be like he's obviously a terrible coach but great recruiter doesn't hold water to me.
cboothe09
Let's be 100% truthful here. Keller isn't leaving after this season unless he is hired away. The school is not going to cut ties after this season. His seat may be warm to start next season, but he is getting another year IMO.

As for his performance, I'm still at a cross roads. It is well documented that he has eight scholarship players available, and he only plays seven of them (Sorry Gru). That thin of a lineup isn't going to blow out a lot of teams, but should win some low scoring, slower paced, grind-it-out type games. More specifically, it is Danny-ball that will win games for this team this year. For the most part, I think that is what we have seen, without the same level of discipline that Kaspar demanded of his players.

I'm all for giving another year. Get another set of recruits in to help build some depth and right the ship. Hopefully TJ comes back, and we pair him with Kevon, Mitch, John, Nathan, Oddyst (His game is really growing on me. Plays just like Aaron, but much more aggressive offensively), and a healthy/more prepared Jock. Then you add the incoming freshmen in Hart and Pope and talent will not be an issue. We all agree he needs to add another PG to the class. If he can't win with that, then he isn't the man to help continue building this program.

As bad as this year is and as infuriating as it has been, next year will be the real litmus test on if Keller is the man going forward. Three years in and we still see a mixed bag. That has to get straightened out one way or another...
Jacks4460
Pretty sure TJ isnt coming back... When talking to him that is the feel I get.. That young man has done so much for our MBB team and university which I am so thankful for.. He is a new age college free agent.. and a good one at that... I think the drama in the locker room is one of the reasons for him not coming back..
nacluth
Danny Kaspar: 1 NCAA appearance (0-1) in 13 seasons
1 SLC regular season title, 2x Coach of the Year

Brad Underwood: 3 NCAA's (2-3) in 3 seasons
3 SLC regular season titles, 3x Coach of the Year

Kyle Keller: 1 NCAA appearance (0-1) in 2 seasons

I'm all for building the program and capitalizing on what has been built before us, but the expectation is for us to go to the NCAA's. Keller didn't make it year one with essentially a whole new team save Holyfield. Year two - he did.

He's beaten LSU and Baylor. He's getting high level recruits to come here. Attendance may not be at its all-time heights, but it's pretty close. Very rough year - yes, but amazingly, it's still not over.

It was a bad beat on Saturday. I was there for every excruciating moment, but Sam was not unbeatable - even by our current make up. I still think we have the ability to win in Katy. I'm honestly not expecting to, but we have the potential even now. If we don't, but Keller makes it next year and has 2 tournament appearances in four years, I'll consider him a great SFA coach.

I love Danny Kaspar. He's a good coach and a good man. I follow his teams at Texas State, but realistically, Keller has equaled many of his best basketball accomplishments in two years. Could he have done that without standing on his shoulders? No. But, SFA is never going to be trading up and up on coaches. We have a good one that drives me bananas at times (like ALL of them do), but I think Keller has the goods to keep our program growing. We'll see.

BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I don't understand the bad coach line of thinking. You'd have to assume a lot of things to reach that conclusion to me.

First, that he managed to rise through the ranks and get high major jobs through sheer mediocrity.

2nd, that your average Southland conference coach is better than an average high major assistant.

Now it could be that his coaching style just doesn't work here or there's some other disconnect, but to just be like he's obviously a terrible coach but great recruiter doesn't hold water to me.
To be clear I am not advocating for Keller's removal..... I am most certainly looking for a close look from "management" for reasons (beyond injuries) that we have had such destructive turnover.

To answer your "Bad Coach" question I will say frankly that the jury is out and will probably stay out until this time next season, yes next season. If we see the continued turnover and roster debacle we have today the tide will turn quickly and inevitably against Keller. It is clear to most of us that Keller knows how to identify talent and bring that talent to Nacogdoches. The issue is can he weave that talent into a TEAM and limit the drama to a minimum. I get these are mostly 19 and 20 year old's. Drama is present no matter what.

Let's grow up as a program and not accept the up's and down's that make us look like Lamar or SE La. We are better than those programs. We actually have a PROGRAM.

Axe 'Em Jacks.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Danny Kaspar: 1 NCAA appearance (0-1) in 13 seasons
1 SLC regular season title, 2x Coach of the Year

Brad Underwood: 3 NCAA's (2-3) in 3 seasons
3 SLC regular season titles, 3x Coach of the Year

Kyle Keller: 1 NCAA appearance (0-1) in 2 seasons

I'm all for building the program and capitalizing on what has been built before us, but the expectation is for us to go to the NCAA's. Keller didn't make it year one with essentially a whole new team save Holyfield. Year two - he did.

He's beaten LSU and Baylor. He's getting high level recruits to come here. Attendance may not be at its all-time heights, but it's pretty close. Very rough year - yes, but amazingly, it's still not over.

It was a bad beat on Saturday. I was there for every excruciating moment, but Sam was not unbeatable - even by our current make up. I still think we have the ability to win in Katy. I'm honestly not expecting to, but we have the potential even now. If we don't, but Keller makes it next year and has 2 tournament appearances in four years, I'll consider him a great SFA coach.

I love Danny Kaspar. He's a good coach and a good man. I follow his teams at Texas State, but realistically, Keller has equaled many of his best basketball accomplishments in two years. Could he have done that without standing on his shoulders? No. But, SFA is never going to be trading up and up on coaches. We have a good one that drives me bananas at times (like ALL of them do), but I think Keller has the goods to keep our program growing. We'll see.

One really important difference between Danny and Kyle. Danny inherited a program in the doldrums (for years) We had actually had a team in the early 90's go 2 - 25 (I believe). Kyle got to latch on to some solid talent and a facility that had seen some of the best SFA basketball in years. The teams that Danny inherited couldn't shoot straight and didn't know how to play a lick of defense. The teams Kyle inherited already had a defensive mindset built into their DNA. Let's not forget what Danny accomplished. I for one am not ready to anoint Keller just yet. Show me some fight to finish the disaster this season is and get us off on the right track in 2019/2020 and I'll gladly join the bandwagon.
nacluth
100% agree. Danny did something few coaches can do - build something out of nothing. It took a decade, but he did it. Keller has many advantages. My take is in 2 and a half seasons, he has capitalized on them and has matched most (not all) of Kaspar's high water marks already. To me, that's a sign of a good coach. I understand the other side of it too, and I like where you're coming from. Fingers crossed for a turnaround for this season.
PurpleOut
Staff
The 19 and 20 year olds comment is an important one IMO. It's a conversation I've had with several people over the past year or so, including some friends that work in other athletic departments.

Kids today are different. I'm only 34, but this generation is even much more different from mine. Too many kids are worried about their tweets, snapchats, etc. They put less time in on the court/field and more time into how they look. They take any negativity or criticism as an insult and blow it up, instead of putting in the extra time to correct themselves and work harder. And it's not just us of course, this is a national issue that coaches and schools have to deal with. Kids will back out of their commitment and leave at the first sign of something not going their way. Every year seemingly is a new record of transfers.

Unfortunately I don't know that there will be a way to change the current culture of these kids and social media. Coaches are having to do everything different from what they've known and what they were taught. And honestly there's no way I could be a coach right now.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

100% agree. Danny did something few coaches can do - build something out of nothing. It took a decade, but he did it. Keller has many advantages. My take is in 2 and a half seasons, he has capitalized on them and has matched most (not all) of Kaspar's high water marks already. To me, that's a sign of a good coach. I understand the other side of it too, and I like where you're coming from. Fingers crossed for a turnaround for this season.

Sounds like we are roughly in the same spot "Sans" my obvious skepticism about Keller. I'll admit that I questioned the hire from the beginning. The NCAA tournament game against Texas Tech altered my opinion of Keller. I thought he prepared his team well for a Texas Tech squad that has turned out to be quite the contender in a top notch Big 12 (last year and this year).

Move forward to December/January. The red flags went up for me with Aaron Augustin. Everything we had seen previous to this season indicated that he was a stalwart and would be part of the cornerstone of a team that would win a couple of conference titles. Well that dream has crashed and crashed violently. No fender bender here. Look at that score against Sammie again. We gave up 58 points in one half. That right there is a problem I have had with Keller from the get go. His teams look unprepared stepping onto the court. Is it reading to many press clippings. IDK but to give up 58 to a good but not great Sammie team seems like some smoke.

Where there's smoke there's usually fire. Not sure.
SFAJack_76
I hate to even bring this up, but someone in some thread asked if Ivey had experience hiring a basketball coach. Google Matt Figger. You will be intrigued. Ivey knows how to hire.

Be clear, I am positive that unless he chooses to leave or some odd event takes place, Kyle Keller will be the SFA basketball coach for the 2019-2020 season. Another year of mediocrity and the seat will get hot.
BigJack85
I'm your Huckleberry..... he does know how to hire. Although only modestly I do believe that SFA is a better job than Austin Peay. I realize that the OVC is better than the SLC. Other than a better conference all the metrics line up as SFA being superior opportunity:

1) Conference - Advantage OVC - Much deeper, possibly a two bid league this year.
2) Enrollment/Overall Position - Advantage SFA - With some luck we should be around 14,000 in two years
4) Facilities - WRJ still has potential to be a great facility. With the new additions it will be hands down the best in the SLC with only Lamar close. Advantage SFA
5) Potential - If enrollment growth continues and we expand our STEM offering we should be comparable to UL - Lafayette in 5 years. Advantage SFA
Pilotgirl
I love how involved he his w/students!
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I love how involved he his w/students!

He is everywhere.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

We know this man gets it. Hopeful the next President will also get it with support from the BOR.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

We know this man gets it. Hopeful the next President will also get it with support from the BOR.

He gets it AND he's seems to be a very judge of coaching talent based on his APSU hires.
SFAJack_76
Everywhere, I tell you.
SFA Jack Fanatic
That is how you grow a culture of athletic success!
SFAJack_76
No idea, but sounds significant.
BigJack85
My ears are open...... sounds very significant
TallTexan
So that makes atleast two transformational commitments, given his use of another right?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Deep pockets donor to Athletics??
SFAJack_76
Sounds like the second of two deep pocket donations.
SFA Jack Fanatic
"Build it and they will come." Hmmm... That must really work...
BigJack85
Well. An announcement on the University website?
SFAJack_76
Timing of announcements is important to the bigger picture.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.