SFA Tennis

39,159 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sully
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes. Look improved. Competitive in Houston.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
comeandtakeit34
Team is showing great promise this year. The new coach is making a big impact on the morality of the girls, they deserve a good season. Can't wait to see them win!
nacluth
Thanks for joining the conversation! This is encouraging that the team is in a better place. Hoping for good things.
SFAJack_76
comeandtakeit34 said:

Team is showing great promise this year. The new coach is making a big impact on the morality of the girls, they deserve a good season. Can't wait to see them win!
I certainly hope you are right. There was a poster last year that kept insisting they were about to start winning, and we all know how that ended. I will be hopeful, but skeptical, until results improve.

I am assuming "making a big impact on the morality of the girls" is a typo/auto correct. Made me chuckle.
SFAJack_76
Essentially the same team that went 4-17 last year with a new coach that did not win a conference championship in 12 years at UTSA. Doesn't look good on paper, but that is why they play the matches. Skeptical but hopeful. Should be favorable season opening matches.

Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Essentially the same team that went 4-17 last year with a new coach that did not win a conference championship in 12 years at UTSA. Doesn't look good on paper, but that is why they play the matches. Skeptical but hopeful. Should be favorable season opening matches.
Thats funny SFA 76...
SFAJack_76
Great start.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Great start.

Wasn't exactly against a powerhouse, but we'll take it. New coach. New season. Good start.
SFAJack_76
Indeed Alcorn is really bad. They only had five players available. But, a win is a win.
SFAJack_76
5-2 win at, now, 1-2 Jackson State to go to 2-0. Next up is ULM at home on Saturday. ULM lost their only match to Arkansas 0-7.

Edit: Attendance was 12.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

5-2 win at, now, 1-2 Jackson State to go to 2-0. Next up is ULM at home on Saturday. ULM lost their only match to Arkansas 0-7.

I like the scheduling of the two weaker schools right out of the gate. Get some of the players feeling good about themselves and the season ahead, especially after last year's downer of a season.
SFAJack_76
ICYMI, lost to UTSA yesterday 5-2 winning #1 and #4 singles. Play at 2-4 Texas State today. They have lost their last two matches to NSU and McNeese. Perhaps a barometer of where we stand relative to conference.
SFAJack_76
Lost 7-0 to Texas State. Did not win even one set. I .... never mind. You know.
BigJack85
We've got a way to go with women's tennis. We have the facilities, Some tradition. We should be a competitive squad in the SLC. Time will tell.
SFAJack_76
Conference time. We shall see. Looks like UNO is good and Nicholls is beatable.
SFAJack_76
Took 3 of 6 singles, but lost the doubles point to lose the match 4-3.

Nicholls match has been moved up to Saturday due to Sunday weather forecast.
BigJack85
Is Nicholls any good???
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Is Nicholls any good???
This is a winnable match.
SFAJack_76
Purple lights!
BigJack85
I don't recall but didn't we finish last in tennis last year? If so, winning just a handful of matches would be real progress.
SFAJack_76
2-9 in SLC last year with wins over UNO and UIW.
BigJack85
What's your take 76? Are we getting any better? Has the new coach made any impact?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

What's your take 76? Are we getting any better? Has the new coach made any impact?
Short answer is, too early to tell. Since the entire team is one year more experienced, I certainly hope they are better. No clue what impact the new coach is, or is not, having. The next three are on the road at UIW, ACU, and Sam. Those matches should tell us a lot.
SFAJack_76
I just looked at the schedule closer. Eleven SLC matches with seven on the road. Half of our home conference matches have already been played. Bone headed scheduling by the SLC.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I just looked at the schedule closer. Eleven SLC matches with seven on the road. Half of our home conference matches have already been played. Bone headed scheduling by the SLC.
Wow. What a surprise. NOT.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Same song, different sport.
SFAJack_76
Looked back:
2018, five home, six away.
2017, four home, seven away.
2016, six home, five away.
2015, five home, six away.

Four times in five seasons, the majority of our conference matches have been on the road. Ivey can add this to his long list.

SFAJack_76
Yes, they are improved. (Assuming you look past the fact that UIW only had five singles players.) 2-1 in conference after this road win.
BigJack85
Ya. I noticed that UIW was shorthanded. With a decent coach it shouldn't take long to get back above the middle of the pack. We have pretty good facilities (compared to all but ACU) from what I've seen. At any rate it's a small victory. Purple Lights.
SFAJack_76
Lost to ACU yesterday, 7-0. Won two sets out of the six singles matches. So, not close.
nacluth
But we pushed them to three sets,,,
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

But we pushed them to three sets,,,
There is some creative headline writing that takes place in an attempt to put a positive spin on a really bad result. Works if you don't read the story.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Lost to ACU yesterday, 7-0. Won two sets out of the six singles matches. So, not close.

Ya. Clearly that stretch a few years ago when we were close to being ranked was completely coach driven. I seem to recall the young man quickly moved up to very high paying positions. ACU has put resources into tennis even when they were D2 not surprising that the legacy SLC schools that mostly just put a team Out There and hope will get dominated by a well funded ACU program.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

There is some creative headline writing that takes place in an attempt to put a positive spin on a really bad result. Works if you don't read the story.

There's been the same type of "creative writing" for other SFA sports, too, almost every time SFA loses. I've seen it on Twitter, too.

Quit trying to always sugarcoat losses, Mr. SFA athletics publicist. We're big boys and girls. We can take it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.