SFA Tennis

38,882 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sully
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
76. This is an absolute mess. I'll be VERY interested in how the new AD deals with this one..... I'm wondering if there is any word on who will take over? Promote from within? Is there a dark horse we don't know about? Also, are we looking for a new president????
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Did this really happen, or are those eurowiki guys hacking The Sawmill again?

SFAJack_76
2-17/1-9 SLC after losing to UCA 5-2.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

My guess is a new coach at the end of the season. Most of these sports are on 2-3 year contracts.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

My guess is a new coach at the end of the season. Most of these sports are on 2-3 year contracts.
The new AD will have more immediate priorities. I think he gets at least one more year.
SFAJack_76
Good for them.

Edit: I just looked at the box score. A-PB only had five players, so no doubles match. SFA won each of the five contested singles 6-0 6-0. Wow.
nacluth
I heard the coach is selling his house. That doesn't mean anything, but it could be a sign...
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

I heard the coach is selling his house. That doesn't mean anything, but it could be a sign...
Could very well be a sign. If he does leave, I bet it is his choice. I cannot imagine that Hill is going to fire anyone at this stage.
BigJack85
My guess is that he has a three year contract. Very standard. He probably sees the writing on the wall. Both parties walk away without additional penalties.
BigJack85
I think I was correct.
SFA Jack Fanatic
And... He's gone.
SFAJack_76
Bumping to remind everyone that we don't have a tennis coach. Did Hill do any level of search or did he completely punt it to Ivey? The nature of college tennis international recruiting and the apparent current administrative disadvantage at SFA shared by Sully indicates that this job needs to get filled sooner than later.

Hopefully, someone has been working on it. Anyone have any insight?
BigJack85
Have not heard a whisper. My guess is the same as many. The new AD will make that call.
SFAXE93
The SFA tennis program

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

The SFA tennis program

Absolutely on target
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Bumping to remind everyone that we don't have a tennis coach. Did Hill do any level of search or did he completely punt it to Ivey? The nature of college tennis international recruiting and the apparent current administrative disadvantage at SFA shared by Sully indicates that this job needs to get filled sooner than later.

Edstile says he can fill in on the Tennis front until we hire a head coach. I'm confident he has the ability to at least match the wins from last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Edstile says he can fill in on the Tennis front until we hire a head coach. I'm confident he has the ability to at least match the wins from last year.
Uh, yeah. I could probably match that with a racquet tied behind my back. (BTW, are McEnroe and Borg still going head-to-head?)
SFAXE93
According to the new media guide that just came out, they have UTSA tennis head coach Erin Scott listed as our tennis coach.

There is nothing on the SFA website about this.

Erin Scott

- 11 Seasons at UTSA

2017-18; 8-12
2016-17; 12-9
2015-16; 10-12
2014-15; 11-13
2013-14; 11-11
2012-13; 7-13
2011-12; 9-13
2010-11; 6-12
2009-10; 4-16
2008-09; 16-8
2007-08; 10-13
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Maybe the Southland is the place to build...

Welcome Erin, wish you luck.
SFAJack_76
Very underwhelming based on results if that is the case. She is still listed as the UTSA head coach on their web site.

TallTexan
She could probably coach our team remotely and get atleast the same results as last year. And it'd give us more money for basketball.

Ivey is thinking outside the box.
SFAJack_76
The first question should be, what will you do differently at SFA where winning is expected. The release makes it sound like she had great success at UTSA which she did not.

BigJack85
I'm guessing her success (or lack of) had a lot to do with UTSA's highly football focused athletic program. Not to say that we don't have some of the same issues but my guess is that it's worse at UTSA. We will be better this season and I see a pathway for us to be competitive in a year or two.
djsfw57
Just looking at her record, I'm not at all impressed with what she has produced in the past. I'm surprised SFA didn't hire someone who has a good deal of coaching success, and her record is anything but an example of success. Still scratching my head over this one. Maybe she will turn out to be a nice surprise, and looking at her win/loss record a good program under her will be a huge surprise. Hope I'm wrong about her...
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

Just looking at her record, I'm not at all impressed with what she has produced in the past. I'm surprised SFA didn't hire someone who has a good deal of coaching success, and her record is anything but an example of success. Still scratching my head over this one. Maybe she will turn out to be a nice surprise, and looking at her win/loss record a good program under her will be a huge surprise. Hope I'm wrong about her...
I'd guess this is Ivey's first hire?

To be honest, most days our Tennis team doesn't cross my mind, so I couldn't hope to opine on how to pick a quality coach. But I hope this turns out well for SFA.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

djsfw57 said:

I'd guess this is Ivey's first hire?

To be honest, most days our Tennis team doesn't cross my mind, so I couldn't hope to opine on how to pick a quality coach. But I hope this turns out well for SFA.
Time well tell and I hope she does great. Based on long term results, Ivey's first hire is underwhelming.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Give her a chance, guys. Don't judge the cake before it's been baked, and that will probably take a couple of years of recruiting.
TallTexan
I'm all for giving her a chance. I hope our teams improve & Ivey's football hire for Commerce shows he knows what he is doing.

I honestly have no idea how to pick a good Tennis coach though. At a complete loss.

I'm sure Ivey saw something he liked about her plans or coaching style that makes her a good fit.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

Give her a chance, guys. Don't judge the cake before it's been baked, and that will probably take a couple of years of recruiting.
Of course. Right now all I have to go on is an eleven year head coach record with two winning seasons and no conference championships.
djsfw57
I'm all for giving her a chance. Didn't mean for it to sound like I thought she should be tossed to the curb. I just know if I were looking for a good coach, I would definitely look at won/loss record as a guide. I hope she turns the program around and is a huge success.
SFAJack_76
No roster or schedule posted yet. The fall schedule is always light, but typically there are two or three matches/tournaments.

Curious.
SFAJack_76
There they are.

PurpleOut
Staff
I lived next to two tennis players when I was in school. That's all I got.
SFAJack_76
Looks like essentially the same team that was 4-17 last year. Maybe a year of experience and a new coach makes a difference. I don't know.
SFAJack_76
Progress.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.