SFA Golf

32,287 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KirkHeath12 said:

The article on the SFA website about the women's golf team finish yesterday say they placed in the top 5! What it does not tell you, is that there were 6 teams.
I like this better.

"All five Ladyjack golfers finished within the top 30."

Out of 32 golfers ....
SFAJack_76
It's not just us:

"ATLANTA The Texas women's golf team finished fourth during Monday's stroke play portion of the East Lake Cup at the East Lake Golf Club."

Fourth ... out if four teams competing. Also known as last.
SFAJack_76
Tenth of a thirteen team field. The good news is that the bottom three were Nicholls, UCA, and UNO.
cboothe09
Wanna know a sport that needs better facilities? That and better courses to play. Crown Colony is nice, but that's it. Nothing else close to us...

We need to partner with PWCC or Woodlands Hills and start a Golf Management program that is backed by the PGA. Similar to what Sam has. They still have more course options to play, but it would be a hell of a start...
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Wanna know a sport that needs better facilities? That and better courses to play. Crown Colony is nice, but that's it. Nothing else close to us...

We need to partner with PWCC or Woodlands Hills and start a Golf Management program that is backed by the PGA. Similar to what Sam has. They still have more course options to play, but it would be a hell of a start...

I'm with you !!!!
cboothe09
I absolutely love golf. Terrible at it but I love it. If I was in a place to give, I would give to them in a heartbeat...
SFAJack_76
Second place after the first two rounds.
SFAJack_76
Top ten!

nacluth
A mere 56 strokes behind. Still in the hunt.
djsfw57
I honestly don't know why we even have a golf program. We suck every year, men and women.
nacluth
Because I just found a way to get my daughters some scholarships.
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

I honestly don't know why we even have a golf program. We suck every year, men and women.

The women have struggled. The men have not. They have finished as high as 3rd in the conference recently. The had a stretch in the early 2000's when they were consistently competitive. We could use a stronger facility. I believe they play at Piney Woods CC most of the time.
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

As far as scholarships go, even if we won the conference in both, I'd rather look at any other sport.

I can pull for SFA in a rock throwing contest. But golf is a bit tougher.
BigJack85
I enjoy golf immensely. Golf is very business centric sport. Tons of business people play golf. It's a great networking tool. I was a soccer player in the fall , tennis in the spring I wish I had played golf in high school.
cboothe09
Great sport that can offer a lot of opportunities. Our problem is a lack of facilities in the area. Pineywoods CC is not good. Woodland Hills GC is even worse. Neches Pines in Diboll used to be nice but isn't very good any more from what I hear.
The only nice course in the area is Crown Colony but I'm not sure how often we get out there.

I mentioned it before, but it would take the school buying out one of the courses in Nac and creating a PGA sponsored Golf Management program or a turf management program to help get where we need to be. Sam took off when they took over Ravens Nest and did that. It also doesn't hurt when you look at the places available for them to practice at...
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I enjoy golf immensely. Golf is very business centric sport. Tons of business people play golf. It's a great networking tool. I was a soccer player in the fall , tennis in the spring I wish I had played golf in high school.

That free golf in HS was the best golf.

Someone's paying for me to shoot a 105? And I get out of school and lunch? Deal.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Great sport that can offer a lot of opportunities. Our problem is a lack of facilities in the area. Pineywoods CC is not good. Woodland Hills GC is even worse. Neches Pines in Diboll used to be nice but isn't very good any more from what I hear.
The only nice course in the area is Crown Colony but I'm not sure how often we get out there.

I mentioned it before, but it would take the school buying out one of the courses in Nac and creating a PGA sponsored Golf Management program or a turf management program to help get where we need to be. Sam took off when they took over Ravens Nest and did that. It also doesn't hurt when you look at the places available for them to practice at...

I'd probably argue turf management over golf management. Way more applications and the field is growing.

Golf is never going to disappear but it's also probably hit it's peak when even small towns had golf courses.

Wouldn't mind SFA running a course though. I know a few turf management guys and they do pretty well.
SFAJack_76
Softball has mediocre facilities at best. The track is in such bad shape that we can't host meets. Bowling has no facilities. This isn't about facilities.

SFAJack_76
Finished 81 strokes behind seventh place Lamar, and 177 strokes behind first place Sam. 54 hole tournament. We only had four players. (Typical is five players, dropping the high score each round.) UIW only had four after the first round and finished fifth, 109 strokes ahead of us.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

Finished 81 strokes behind seventh place Lamar, and 177 strokes behind first place Sam. 54 hole tournament. We only had four players. (Typical is five players, dropping the high score each round.) UIW only had four after the first round and finished fifth, 109 strokes ahead of us.
Boy, they aren't even mildly competitive.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Downright embarrassing.
cboothe09
Time for a coaching change?
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Would that make a difference? I mean yes some, but is there a golf coach out there, in our price range, willing to come to Nac who we could hire?

Is it even a full time position?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

Would that make a difference? I mean yes some, but is there a golf coach out there, in our price range, willing to come to Nac who we could hire?

Seems to me that it's more of a recruiting problem than a coaching problem.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

Seems to me that it's more of a recruiting problem than a coaching problem.

Perhaps. I feel like golf is really something you can teach, as opposed to say a sprinter who needs a good bit of extreme athletic ability.

But maybe we are good at coaching kids up and just can't get them here with a high enough ceiling.
cboothe09
Plenty of coaching that can be done.

Strength and conditioning programs are huge now in golf.

Recruiting is kind of important. Like pointed out earlier, facilities shouldn't be a problem there because softball, track, and bowling continue to bring in top talent despite our facilities.

There is plenty of golf talent in east Texas. Sam's best golfer came from Crockett. Grapeland sent a kid to McNeese, who also had an offer from A&M. I don't know if it is laziness, an inability to track in top talent, or what, but the talent is around to have a good program.
SFAJack_76
Good grief ...

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=22488
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Good grief ...

Well, the team was consistent in every round... Consistently terrible.
TallTexan
Me and the Lumberjack I work with are cracking up at the Top 10 finish.
BigJack85
I did not check the archived golf news releases.... but, didn't we recently (last few weeks) hire a full time assistant on the women's golf side? Until the last year or two it was a one man golf coaching team? Wasn't it? I could be wrong but not a bunch of staff dedicated to golf.
SFAJack_76
Recently hired for both men and women, which is the way golf staff has been for at least a few years. Fourth assistant in four years.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2021/4/5/mens-golf-lumberjack-golf-adds-new-assistant-coach-jackson-smith.aspx
Ljacks&Longnecks
The tweet from Ladyjack Golf is more embarrassing than the actual result.
SFAJack_76
Top five won't be in the SLC next season.
nacluth
Not to argue your point, but isn't UCA going after next season?

Edit: nevermind. Looked it up and they're gone this summer too.
BigJack85
Lumberjack Men's Golf finishes 7th in 11 team SLC. I would say that is below expectations. I think we should be a top 1/2 team. Certainly better than 7th.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.