SFA Golf

32,247 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by SFAXE93
djsfw57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The writer of the Athletics site articles, Luke Belanos, apparently doesn't want to ever hurt anyone's poor little feeeeelings by giving the actual results in any sport.

Come on, Luke, we're big kids. Give the dang scores! Quit watering down the results.
I've been wondering what the problem is with giving us the truth. Instead of giving meaningless stats in the title, just tell us WE LOST. It's more than a little annoying to me.
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks finish ahead of UIW in the Cardinal Challenge tournament. (Seventh in a ten team field. Behind Corpus, Lamar, Sam, and HBU.)

Lumberjacks finish sixth in the fifteen team Huntsville Toyota Bearkat tournament. Ahead of ACU, UNO, and UIW. Behind Lamar and tournament champion Sam. Had two top ten individuals.

The men's team looks like middle to top third of the conference. Women's team ....

Edit: Last year, Andy Lopez was SLC freshman of the year playing for SFA. He transferred to Texas Tech. As best I can tell, he has not played in any tournament for them this year. Curious.

SFAJack_76
First round of three in the SLC women's championship. Ladyjacks are in fifth place, three strokes behind Lamar. Fourth or fifth is probably the ceiling for the eighth seeded Ladyjacks. There are eight SLC women's golf teams.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The writer of the Athletics site articles, Luke Belanos, apparently doesn't want to ever hurt anyone's poor little feeeeelings by giving the actual results in any sport.

Come on, Luke, we're big kids. Give the dang scores! Quit watering down the results.
I'm glad you mentioned this. Even though it was brought up before, it would be nice to think that he would read this thread and get a clue. I find it insulting that we are given "I'm great, you're great, and everyone gets a trophy" instead of just being straightforward.
SFA Jack Fanatic
djsfw57 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm glad you mentioned this. Even though it was brought up before, it would be nice to think that he would read this thread and get a clue. I find it insulting that we are given "I'm great, you're great, and everyone gets a trophy" instead of just being straightforward.

For lack of anything meaningful to do yesterday, I looked at the headlines of every SFA baseball story for this season over on the Athletics website. There are 15 headlines containing final scores. All 15 of those scores were for SFA wins. NONE of the story headlines about SFA losses contained the score.

Pacifiers, anyone?
BigJack85
It's definitely "Rose Colored Writing". Most of us know what the real score is. Once we get Cardenas a real on campus facility I'll ***** more. LOL.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks finish the SLC championship, and their season, in fifth.

Senior, Erica Lautensack finished as runner up in the individual at -1 for the tournament. She was two strokes out of first.
nacluth
Better than it's been. In fact, a nice finish.
SFAJack_76
Lumberjacks are tied for seventh of eleven teams after the first of three rounds. SFA was the four seed coming in.

Must have been tough conditions, since only three of 55 golfers shot better than +2.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Better than it's been. In fact, a nice finish.
In ten years of SFA women's golf, the best finish ever is fourth.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Lumberjacks have a middling second round, moving from a tie for seventh to solo seventh. Then they go lights out in the afternoon final round shooting -1, rocketing up the leaderboard to third. Sam and Lamar finish first and second.

Great finish.
BigJack85
Ya. The 287 finish was rock star quality
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Bonjour!
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA needs a new assistant golf coach.

https://sfajacks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=343&path=mgolf
SFAJack_76
Top ten finish! (Tenth place in a field of thirteen teams.)
nacluth
Boom! That's what I'm talking about!!!!!! Killing it Golf!!!

On an unrelated note, I ran a 10K a couple weeks back. When I got home, my kids asked me if I won the race. I proudly showed off my 2nd place medal for the 40's age division. They hugged my neck and sang my praises. The love of my children is my own personal SFA sports article.

On another unrelated piece of trivia from that day, I was the final male finisher out of 27 other guys racing.
BigJack85
Cool deal. The kids make the best fans! We could be good in golf with some facilities. Meaning a clubhouse and lockers dedicated to SFA Golf , at one of the local courses.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Cool deal. The kids make the best fans! We could be good in golf with some facilities. Meaning a clubhouse and lockers dedicated to SFA Golf , at one of the local courses.
It seems to me that you believe facilities are the answer to winning in every sport. Perhaps I am reading you wrong. Regardless, facilities are important, but facilities alone will not create a good golf, baseball, soccer, etc. team.

Bowling, with no facilities, has two national championships. Tennis, with some of the best facilities in the SLC has had one good season since going D1.
cboothe09
Where does the golf team practice? Piney Woods, Crown Colony, or, gulp, Woodland Hills?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

It seems to me that you believe facilities are the answer to winning in every sport. Perhaps I am reading you wrong. Regardless, facilities are important, but facilities alone will not create a good golf, baseball, soccer, etc. team.

Bowling, with no facilities, has two national championships. Tennis, with some of the best facilities in the SLC has had one good season since going D1.

I wouldn't say that you are reading me wrong. I do believe facilities are an important part of the picture. I'm not alone in that assessment. Ask Ryan Ivey. He'll tell you what I'm saying with a little more mayo on it.

Bowling is truly a unique situation as bowling has a very low profile. I think you'd agree that if bowlings profile changes and it becomes a top tier sport, Texas A&M will have the best bowling alley available in about 4-5 months. I'm just saying that facilities are the biggest hook in recruiting most student athletes.
SFAJack_76
Agreed that facilities are extremely important. Where we deviate is commenting that sport x would win if they just had better facilities. Facilities are part of the equation to winning. Facilities take money. A lot of money. Ivey also has said that money does not win championships. It simply gets you in the game.

I do not agree that a clubhouse gets SFA a winning golf team. It will take more than that.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Where does the golf team practice? Piney Woods, Crown Colony, or, gulp, Woodland Hills?
At one time, they were at Crown, but I had heard that relationship soured for some reason. That was a few years ago, so I don't know what the current situation is.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Agreed that facilities are extremely important. Where we deviate is commenting that sport x would win if they just had better facilities. Facilities are part of the equation to winning. Facilities take money. A lot of money. Ivey also has said that money does not win championships. It simply gets you in the game.

I do not agree that a clubhouse gets SFA a winning golf team. It will take more than that.

In that case you have misinterpreted my comments. To be clear I would say facilities are probably 30% of the equation, coaching 50%, tradition, academic strength/programs and intangibles make up the balance (20%).

I think it is misguided to think that facilities are the only piece. So yes. I have miscommunicated.

Ever played golf at the Sam houston course. It's nice. I see why they get good golfers.
KirkHeath12
Believe they practice at woodland hills now
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFAJack_76
Women's team just finished 14th in a 15 team field. Led by a freshman that finished in a tie for thirteenth in a field of 78 golfers. There were four other SLC teams in the tournament.

SFAJack_76
Men's team finished fifth of twelve in the LaTour tournament in Louisiana. Most importantly, they were third of nine SLC teams. Young team playing decent golf. Really good final round.
SFAJack_76
Also known as last. Ten strokes behind fourteenth place. More of the same for our women's golf team.
SFAJack_76
Tied HBU for ninth .... in a ten team field.
BigJack85
Not a great start. Some good golf schools in the list though. TX St for sure.
KirkHeath12
The article on the SFA website about the women's golf team finish yesterday say they placed in the top 5! What it does not tell you, is that there were 6 teams.
Class of 2012
Axe Em

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.