2023 Soccer

7,811 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I get the the whole "iron sharpens iron" thing, but right now, early in the conference season, the girls look drained. Drained.

That goal at the end by Tarleton was a mental and physical failure. . The back line looked confused.
I don't disagree. We were in charge the first half, but continued to struggle finishing. We were largely dominated by a very young, mediocre Tarleton team in the second half. Their goal was coming the entire half, it was just a matter of time. I don't know that we are physically drained, but it doesn't look like we know how to win.

In the record books, this was a tie. But, at home against a mediocre team, this was a loss. Sunday is a must win, or I fear we miss the tournament again.

I've never coached athletic teams, so I don't know but, it seems like 1-8-1 is tough on a locker room.

We need some win(s). We may have better talent. Let's see if it translates to a couple of wins. Hard to recruit to a (let's project) 3-12-1 team
TallTexan
I would be curious if getting to play at those big schools helps us on recruiting at all.

Though I will say, SEC football knows what it's doing when it schedules a couple cupcakes here and there. Rest, recuperate, and even their worst teams get another win to build on.

Hopefully we can get a win Sunday. This team has talent.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I would be curious if getting to play at those big schools helps us on recruiting at all.

Though I will say, SEC football knows what it's doing when it schedules a couple cupcakes here and there. Rest, recuperate, and even their worst teams get another win to build on.

Hopefully we can get a win Sunday. This team has talent.

Ya. I see some talent. 1 win. I realize that the OOC schedule was brutal. If we don't win some conference contests, the program will be in decline.
SFAJack_76
Our soccer facilities are dramatically improved from what they were just a couple of years ago. This freshman class is the most talented we have had in years. If the commitments sign, and I think they will, the '24 class is as good or better.

I agree that the coaches need to rethink the non conference schedule. Last night was a big disappointment. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this season, but 2024 results need to reflect the progress in facilities and talent.
TallTexan
I love playing the big schools, especially at home. But I'd love to see a few more winnable games early on to build confidence and consistency.

We're getting carved up by girls who spent their HS years training with top European teams on some occasions. It's fun to see that big logo school playing on our field, but it's barely a fair fight sometimes.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I love playing the big schools, especially at home. But I'd love to see a few more winnable games early on to build confidence and consistency.

We're getting carved up by girls who spent their HS years training with top European teams on some occasions. It's fun to see that big logo school playing on our field, but it's barely a fair fight sometimes.

Imho we are not improving. The change in conference affiliation required a different approach. Playing P5 schools is part of that effort. Building a cohesive locker room. Increasing the level of talent. Better facilities.

Hard to say if this is a coaching issue.

Our record is not in question.
BigJack85
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Imho we are not improving. The change in conference affiliation required a different approach. Playing P5 schools is part of that effort. Building a cohesive locker room. Increasing the level of talent. Better facilities.

Lost to UVU 10-0. Embarrassing. Total collapse.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Lost to UVU 10-0. Embarrassing. Total collapse.
Outshot 31-1 (19-0).

No words.
TallTexan
Holy frijoles. I expect that kind of shellacking when we're playing gigantic schools like UT.

But in conference? Man.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Holy frijoles. I expect that kind of shellacking when we're playing gigantic schools like UT.

But in conference? Man.

I don't know. That looks like a "lost the locker room" loss.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Ouch, ouch, 10X ouch!
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ouch, ouch, 10X ouch!

This isn't the first head scratcher. Beyond disappointing. This program was the class of the SLC for a number of years. Yikes.
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

But in conference? Man.

I don't know. That looks like a "lost the locker room" loss.

UVU is very good. They are 5-3-4. Their 3 losses are to Clemson, Utah, and BYU. They also beat USC in LA and tied Cal in Berkeley. GCU is considered decent and, right now, is 2nd in the conference. UVU beat them 4-0 in GCU's stadium. Having said all of that, a 10-0 loss is shocking.
SFA88
Oh, and CBU may be the best team in the conference. SFA gets to play them in Riverside in a few weeks.
SFAXE93
Maybe the altitude got to them.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Maybe the altitude got to them.
We gave up a goal in the fifth minute. Down 4-0 at the half.
SFAJack_76
347 D1 teams. We currently have an RPI of 266.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

347 D1 teams. We currently have an RPI of 266.

I don't follow soccer RPI closely. What has our RPI range been, prior to joining the WAC?

Regardless a 10-0 loss is beyond, bewildering.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Soccer continues to baffle and disappoint. I don't follow soccer much but even I can tell that there are many issues with this team. Those with a better knowledge of the game could fill me in on our problems and if changes are needed. I do know we seldom score and didn't this past weekend.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Soccer continues to baffle and disappoint. I don't follow soccer much but even I can tell that there are many issues with this team. Those with a better knowledge of the game could fill me in on our problems and if changes are needed. I do know we seldom score and didn't this past weekend.

I don't claim to be any better expert. I played in high school. Lots of young players. Not sure we play with any level of confidence. Having lost 10/11 will do that to you.
SFA88
Next 2 home games will be their best chance to get a win. Although, Utah Tech has an amazing ability to tie teams.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

Next 2 home games will be their best chance to get a win. Although, Utah Tech has an amazing ability to tie teams.

The change has been made.
SFAXE93
TallTexan
Did not expect that news midseason.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Did not expect that news midseason.

Only five games left in the season. Two at home. Gives Ivey time, unlike WBB and SB when the season was over before he knew he had to make a hire.

We have a very good '24 class committed. We need a HC to recruit them between now and signing day.
TallTexan
I'm curious to see what route we go.
BigJack85
If Wally wasn't so committed to administration, I'd take him back in a second.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Did anyone else see the letter that was sent to Ivey by an Iowa State parent before Minatta was hired by SFA? Very disturbing accusations about Minatta's days as ISU's coach.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Did anyone else see the letter that was sent to Ivey by an Iowa State parent before Minatta was hired by SFA? Very disturbing accusations about Minatta's days as ISU's coach.

Have not seen Aware of some of the accusations. Was covered by USA Today, I believe.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

If Wally wasn't so committed to administration, I'd take him back in a second.
Wally has been very clear that he is done coaching. He will be an AD somewhere at some point.
TallTexan
Looked around and we've got some great D2 and Juco teams in Texas.

In addition to great assistants/volunteer assistants at places like Arkansas who have a wealth of experience.

Should be able to find a good option to get us back to the levels we expect.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Never understood the Minatta hire based on his record at Iowa St. Disregarding any other rumors or conflicts, his record at Iowa St was pretty abysmal. Would have never hired a football or basketball coach with a well below .500 record.
TallTexan
I get the hiring style of just hoping it was competition level in the biggest conferences holding them back.

However, I'm a much bigger fan of hiring folks who are winning or part of winning programs, at any level.

Go out and get a top notch Juco coach. Or D1 volunteer assistant with a great program. I think those tend to work out better for all involved.
SFAXE93
It maybe a budget issue as well on what Ivey can pay the coach, so he has to get creative and to his credit Minatta did have some early success when he first got to SFA.

Ivey also hired Erin Scott for the tennis job and her record at UTSA was not very impressive, (her career at UTSA is not even highlighted in her bio) yet she seems to be holding her own here at SFA with some amounts of success.

Ivey seems to have a sense on who to hire regardless of their past.
TallTexan
Ya budget for anything not men's basketball on salary is pretty bad tbh.

I think this role and softball were both around 60k iirc.

I know UT Tyler was paying their softball coach a good chunk more.

Honestly that's probably one of our longest term hurdles to building up some of these programs. Ivey's had more hits than misses though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.