2023 Soccer

7,569 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I presume we either came to an agreement with Minatta or have only re-assigned him so that we don't have to pay him the 40k buyout owed if we fire him prior to the end of this season right?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I presume we either came to an agreement with Minatta or have only re-assigned him so that we don't have to pay him the 40k buyout owed if we fire him prior to the end of this season right?

Makes sense. Wouldn't his contract go through the end of November or December? We can certainly afford a prorated severance, $12,000? For 2 months ?
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

It maybe a budget issue as well on what Ivey can pay the coach, so he has to get creative and to his credit Minatta did have some early success when he first got to SFA.

Ivey also hired Erin Scott for the tennis job and her record at UTSA was not very impressive, (her career at UTSA is not even highlighted in her bio) yet she seems to be holding her own here at SFA with some amounts of success.

Ivey seems to have a sense on who to hire regardless of their past.
The Scott hire was done before Ivey started. A couple of years ago, I asked him if he was involved in her hiring.

I do agree she is doing a commendable job. If she hadn't been blindsided by a mass departure after the 2022 season, we would have not had to rebuild last year. All of the 2023 freshmen are back for their sophomore year.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Ya budget for anything not men's basketball on salary is pretty bad tbh.

I think this role and softball were both around 60k iirc.

I know UT Tyler was paying their softball coach a good chunk more.

Honestly that's probably one of our longest term hurdles to building up some of these programs. Ivey's had more hits than misses though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Salary is definitely a challenge in hiring. $60k is about 20-25% low from recent history. Although competitive with many mid-majors, we are low compared to some of the best D2 jobs that are paying soccer coaches north of $90k. Although I'm good with the recent promotion to beach HC, salary was a definite issue in filling that job.

One positive we have for soccer is that the facilities are much better than they were during the last search.

Our assistants in most sports are seriously underpaid.
TallTexan
I hope this is an area where UT affiliation may help us out in the long run in regards to athletics.

I know it's going to help our folks get paid fairly in other areas of the university which is fantastic, albeit athletics is a bit of a different animal.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I hope this is an area where UT affiliation may help us out in the long run in regards to athletics.

I know it's going to help our folks get paid fairly in other areas of the university which is fantastic, albeit athletics is a bit of a different animal.

Ya. I am hopeful. $60,000 isn't going to get a really experienced applicant. Just a guess, $85,000 is about where we start to get a solid pool of applicants.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Highly dependent on who the new president is. The UT System responses to the initial questions were very clear about local decisions. I expect UT to be supportive of competitive salaries and benefits across the university if that is what the university wants.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Highly dependent on who the new president is. The UT System responses to the initial questions were very clear about local decisions. I expect UT to be supportive of competitive salaries and benefits across the university if that is what the university wants.

I think ALL aspects of the university need a salary lift. We've probably been near the bottom (State of Texas - publics) for decades . I always felt that low salaries held SFA back.

From hiring professors for in demand degrees like, engineering, nursing, computer science etc. to athletics

Also, Facilities help, please UT System
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Proud of the way this team battled, and very happy for the four seniors. Perfect weather. Even match.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Proud of the way this team battled, and very happy for the four seniors. Perfect weather. Even match.

PK with 45 seconds left ….. hmmm.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

It was not a PK. There was an SUU player on the ball with an SFA player attempting to kick the ball. This was deemed by the referee to be a dangerous play by the SUU player. The penalty is an indirect kick, meaning it had to make contact with a second player before going in the net. I was on that end of the pitch, so I saw it very clearly. My opinion is that, though it's a rare call, it was the right call.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

It was not a PK. There was an SUU player on the ball with an SFA player attempting to kick the ball. This was deemed by the referee to be a dangerous play by the SUU player. The penalty is an indirect kick, meaning it had to make contact with a second player before going in the net. I was on that end of the pitch, so I saw it very clearly. My opinion is that, though it's a rare call, it was the right call.

Good deal. Hard to catch all of my ESPN + channels going for a busy day.
TallTexan
Thanks. Did not catch that when watching.
SFA88
Ooof! Lost 0-8 in the Valley of the Sun. I suppose it could have been worse. One more game and this season will, thankfully, be over. I hope they can get a proven program builder in the off-season.

I guess we all just wait and see who they hire.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

Ooof! Lost 0-8 in the Valley of the Sun. I suppose it could have been worse. One more game and this season will, thankfully, be over. I hope they can get a proven program builder in the off-season.

We can do better. Despite the salary constraints. This program was recently a consistent contender for SLC titles.

We shouldn't be a last place team.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFA88 said:

We can do better. Despite the salary constraints. This program was recently a consistent contender for SLC titles.

We shouldn't be a last place team.

I agree, but the difference between SLC and WAC is the proverbial night and day.
SFAJack_76
That's a positive wrap on a tough season. Finished tied for 8th of 10 in WAC.

For 2024, hire a coach, keep the key returners, and get the quality commitments signed. So far, I think most of the student/athletes and 2024 commitments are good pending the coaching change(s).

BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

That's a positive wrap on a tough season. Finished tied for 8th of 10 in WAC.

For 2024, hire a coach, keep the key returners, and get the quality commitments signed. So far, I think most of the student/athletes and 2024 commitments are good pending the coaching change(s).

Any chance, the interim gets the job? Probably not, but he definitely deserves a raise.
SFAJack_76
There was an initial interest from 65-70 candidates. That has been pared down to about 15. Zoom interviews to take place soon.
SFAXE93
Can't wait to hear some names of the top candidates for the job.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

There was an initial interest from 65-70 candidates. That has been pared down to about 15. Zoom interviews to take place soon.

That's way more than I'd have guessed.

Hope we get a good one.
SFAJack_76
We will not have a new HC before signing day as hoped. Some of the best are still busy with conference, and potential NCAA, tournaments.
SFA88
GCU won the WAC women's soccer tournament as a 4 seed. I did not see that coming. I thought for sure UVU would win it all. Another example of the old adage "Just get in."
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

GCU won the WAC women's soccer tournament as a 4 seed. I did not see that coming. I thought for sure UVU would win it all. Another example of the old adage "Just get in."
I also thought UVU would be in.

GCU lost to USC 1-0 in the first round.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.