2022 Soccer

12,831 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank you!
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
We are definitely getting better athletes on the soccer pitch. Oklahoma State is barely ahead of us skills wise. Our "long ball" connections are 100% better than last year. Frankly, we are just more dynamic than in the past.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Got some climbing to do.

SOUTHERN UTAH 5-1-0
GRAND CANYON 4-1-1
TARLETON 3-1-1
UTAH VALLEY 3-1-2
CALIFORNIA BAPTIST 2-1-1
ABILENE CHRISTIAN 2-2-1
NEW MEXICO STATE 2-2-1
UTAH TECH 2-2-0
SEATTLE 2-3-1
UTRGV 2-4-0
SAM HOUSTON STATE 1-3-1
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE 1-4-1
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Got some climbing to do.

SOUTHERN UTAH 5-1-0
GRAND CANYON 4-1-1
TARLETON 3-1-1
UTAH VALLEY 3-1-2
CALIFORNIA BAPTIST 2-1-1
ABILENE CHRISTIAN 2-2-1
NEW MEXICO STATE 2-2-1
UTAH TECH 2-2-0
SEATTLE 2-3-1
UTRGV 2-4-0
SAM HOUSTON STATE 1-3-1
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE 1-4-1

For sure. This team looks like an upper tier WAC squad. Passing is crisp and clean. Not we don't have a true attacking midfielder, that I can see. A little more development in the midfield and we could compete with GCU.
SFAJack_76
OSU is good. Really good. They are bigger, stronger, and much faster than we are. Six P5 transfers, and one from UH, on their roster. This was our first chance to see a game in person. We are improved, but it was hard for me to tell how much due to the talent gap.

Solid crowd of 498. It was good to visit with the Wilbur family. Kass is still having issues with the foot she had surgery on. There may be more surgery to come. She is enjoying her coaching/teaching job at Nacogdoches High.

At 4-1-1 UTSA on Sunday will be another challenge.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

OSU is good. Really good. They are bigger, stronger, and much faster than we are. Six P5 transfers, and one from UH, on their roster. This was our first chance to see a game in person. We are improved, but it was hard for me to tell how much due to the talent gap.

Solid crowd of 498. It was good to visit with the Wilbur family. Kass is still having issues with the foot she had surgery on. There may be more surgery to come. She is enjoying her coaching/teaching job at Nacogdoches High.

At 4-1-1 UTSA on Sunday will be another challenge.

500. That's awesome. I haven't made it up yet, this fall. Watching WVB on ESPN + , seems like the students ARE returning to athletics events. Very positive.
Pilotgirl
Talking with Minatta (see our podcast post above), he likes for his team to meet challenges & adversities head-on in the non-conf games to help prepare his team for conf play. We have a young team (mostly sophs) that will continue to grow. Coach agreed with the preseason ranking of #3. Next years recruits and the following year are BIG recruits for Minatta & SFA.
BigJack85
Before I dive into this observation, let me say that I have listened to interviews of Coach Minatta, and I love the way he has the ladies playing. The increase in talent is noticeable. We are moving the right direction.

That being said, I think he should take a look at lightening the schedule a bit. I get the point of scheduling top tier competition like SMU, UNT, OSU etc. to a point. Going into conference with one or two wins may "harden" the ladies, but it may also be deflating if things don't start with a real positive turn once conference play begins. The 80% P5 non-conference schedule is a bit ambitious given our level of conference competition the past 20 years. Rant over...

Axe 'Em Jacks!
BigJack85
Starting the conference out with a dud. Absolutely a dud. Look flat.

1-6-1 is at the door step.
BigJack85
1-7-1. Are we really this bad? Am I the only poster that care's about the beautiful game?
djsfw57
BigJack85 said:

1-7-1. Are we really this bad? Am I the only poster that care's about the beautiful game?
I'm afraid we really are this bad. I think the coach will do a nice job, but it takes time. We haven't had a good team in a long time. Seems like forever.
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
Last year's team was decent which is one reason why this start is tough. We've got a tough schedule, but it's about time to see how we're going to do in WAC play.
BigJack85
If my reading is correct, we've had 5 winning seasons in the past 8. Not bad. And the close one was 7-9. Soooo, we are not far off. That's what makes this 1-7-1 start so perplexing.

All the "talk" about playing a rugged non-conference season to toughen the team up seems like hot air. Utah Tech and SUU were picked in the bottom half of the league. HC knows best how to develop a team. Right now the measuring stick isn't measuring much.
SFAJack_76
Combined, Utah Tech and SUU are 13-3 on the season. These are not bad teams. We were within 3 minutes of tying SUU. We outshot them 18-16, 7-7 on goal.

I'm not ready to write the season off. Friday and Sunday at home against Sam and NMSU are huge. We have to figure out how to score. Looking forward to being there to support them.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Victory!!!!!
SFAXE93

SFAJack_76
Outshot Sam 21(8) to 7(3). Twelve corner kicks to their one.

We were bigger, stronger, and faster. Would like to see possession time. I know we dominated that. Carly Wyatt got her first minutes of the season, Teia Haynes got her first goal of the season according to the write up. I can't tell if it was her or Ramirez.

The score does not describe the dominance of the game our Lumberjacks had last night. We have got to figure out how to put more in the net. NMSU next on what will be a hot Sunday afternoon.
SFAJack_76
Teia Haynes with the goal
Pilotgirl
BigJack85
Solid win against a solid squad.
SFAJack_76
Two very evenly matched teams in a game that could have gone either way. The difference was a shot off the crossbar in the final minute that I thought was going in. It was brutally hot. Attendance of 243. Many gathered under the tents in front of a cooler, drinking water provided by the school. Their coach got a well deserved yellow card. He barked at the ref all game. Well, until he got the card.

This team is getting better. Teia Haynes up to 40 minutes. Carly Wyatt played 26 minutes after getting her first minutes of the season on Friday. Talented freshman Ella Morgan got the start after missing the first several matches due to various health issues.

SFAJack_76
We are now off until we continue the home stand on October 7, against CBU, and October 9, against GCU. Hope for good weather and big crowds for those critical matches.
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
At the radio show tonight, before the system went out, Minatta said that Colleen Feagins is out for the season due to injury on the hard turf at Southern Utah. Mattie Musser was hurt in the same match, but should return.
SFAXE93
Going for 3 in a row!

Climbing the WAC ladder!

SFAXE93
SFA:2
CBU:1
FINAL

3 in a row!

4-7-1; 3-2

Up next Grand Canyon

SFAJack_76
Another very even match. Very physical match, with nine fouls each, and three yellow cards (2 for CBU). Ref stopped the match several times to have a conversation with players about physical play. Lumberjacks have gotten much better as the season progresses. We were the faster team. Sattler had an excellent game in goal.

Attendance of 371. No reason we shouldn't have at least 500. Football team out in force, including Coach Carthel. Brian Mauer is a character. He was extremely engaged. Other sports well represented also.

Currently in fifth place at 3-2, and 9 points. Teams have played 4 to 7 matches, so it's a little hard to tell. NMSU in first at 4-1-2 (14 points) with their only loss to SFA. Last place 0-3-1, GCU, on Sunday. Almost a must win before a road trip to 2-1-1 Seattle and a very good 3-0-1 UVU.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Another very even match. Very physical match, with nine fouls each, and three yellow cards (2 for CBU). Ref stopped the match several times to have a conversation with players about physical play. Lumberjacks have gotten much better as the season progresses. We were the faster team. Sattler had an excellent game in goal.

Attendance of 371. No reason we shouldn't have at least 500. Football team out in force, including Coach Carthel. Brian Mauer is a character. He was extremely engaged. Other sports well represented also.

Currently in fifth place at 3-2, and 9 points. Teams have played 4 to 7 matches, so it's a little hard to tell. NMSU in first at 4-1-2 (14 points) with their only loss to SFA. Last place 0-3-1, GCU, on Sunday. Almost a must win before a road trip to 2-1-1 Seattle and a very good 3-0-1 UVU.

Great report 76. I will make a game or two before the end of the season. Promise.
SFAXE93
Pilotgirl
Good to see Mr. And Mrs. 76 recognized for all they do for SFA!

BigJack85
Grand Canyon looks way better in transition. Their midfielders are better technically.
SFAJack_76
Even though the score was 1-0, GCU dominated from the first minute. We were flat. A step slow. Coach subbed often, but nobody made a difference. Was hoping for one play to steal a point, but it didn't come. They are very young. One grad transfer, no seniors, and four juniors.
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.