2022 Softball

14,418 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PurpleOut
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's do this. Up 4-1. Reliever coming in.
nacluth
One more for all the marbles.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Kas Wilbur has run out of gas, just like she did in the last SLC tournament. She's thrown about a bazillion pitches in this tournament.
SFA88
GCU wins 6 - 4. I'm no expert but it seems like everything turned on that 1-0 loss in the first game yesterday. Because they didn't have to play last night, GCU was able to bring their ACE back in as a reliever in that last game.
BigJack85
Ya. We had them on the ropes in the 3rd or 4th. Couldn't bring in more than 1 run. We looked good Hard working , well coached squad. Next year. Axe 'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kas Wilbur has run out of gas, just like she did in the last SLC tournament. She's thrown about a bazillion pitches in this tournament.
Similar, but different. Last season, Kass threw most of the innings during the regular season. This season, Sophie, Brooke, and Alexis picked up a lot of those innings. Kass was in much better shape to throw a lot of innings in the tournament this year. GCU is a much better team than any SLC team was last year. Up and down the lineup, they rarely swing and miss. They put the ball in play. And, they have great team speed.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

GCU wins 6 - 4. I'm no expert but it seems like everything turned on that 1-0 loss in the first game yesterday. Because they didn't have to play last night, GCU was able to bring their ACE back in as a reliever in that last game.
Yesterday was big. Winning the first two games in this type tournament is a huge advantage. While they were resting in their hotel rooms last night, we were playing a tough game. A timely hit or two on Friday, and the tables are reversed.
SFAJack_76
What a season. Lost the preseason POY, Shay Govan, to injury before conference. Had an assistant coach leave the team for another, non coaching, job two weeks before the season started. Wilbur, Benson, and Lusk played with and through meaningful injuries. Four freshmen starters … 3B, 2B, LF, and CF. Two freshmen pitchers that provided some quality innings. Finished 31-25. First place WAC Southwest Division. Runner up in the WAC tournament.

Yesterday's finish was tough. We got to know the players and many of their parents through the season. Not only are these girls good at this softball thing, they are high quality young women. Nicole Dickson … I cannot overstate the positives about what she has accomplished, and who she is.

2023 could be special. Only three seniors, with Wilbur and Bennett saying they will be back. A healthy Govan is huge. Quality recruits coming in.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

What a season. Lost the preseason POY, Shay Govan, to injury before conference. Had an assistant coach leave the team for another, non coaching, job two weeks before the season started. Wilbur, Benson, and Lusk played with and through meaningful injuries. Four freshmen starters … 3B, 2B, LF, and CF. Two freshmen pitchers that provided some quality innings. Finished 31-25. First place WAC Southwest Division. Runner up in the WAC tournament.

Yesterday's finish was tough. We got to know the players and many of their parents through the season. Not only are these girls good at this softball thing, they are high quality young women. Nicole Dickson … I cannot overstate the positives about what she has accomplished, and who she is.

2023 could be special. Only three seniors, with Wilbur and Bennett saying they will be back. A healthy Govan is huge. Quality recruits coming in.

Great to hear that Wilbur and Bennett will be back! I had not heard that. And getting Govan back may be even bigger!! Also, in yesterday's game I was really impressed with the defense of the freshman outfielders and the pitching of freshman Alexis Telford. I think if Telford could have given them another couple of innings then Wilbur could have gotten a bit more rest and the result might have been different.
SFAJack_76
I fear the transfer portal. Facilities aren't the complete answer, but as long as we have crap facilities, we will lose high quality players.
SFAJack_76
Emily Berryhill is one of our freshmen. Tore her ACL her last high school season. Then broke her finger sliding in a practice before our season started. I didn't think there was any way she was getting to this ball. Probably the only SC top ten I have seen in person.
SFAJack_76
Season is not quite over. Team is flying out on Wednesday.

https://www.womensnisc.com/tournament-central.html

BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Season is not quite over. Team is flying out on Wednesday.

https://www.womensnisc.com/tournament-central.html

Big Bravo!!!!
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Similar, but different. Last season, Kass threw most of the innings during the regular season. This season, Sophie, Brooke, and Alexis picked up a lot of those innings. Kass was in much better shape to throw a lot of innings in the tournament this year. GCU is a much better team than any SLC team was last year. Up and down the lineup, they rarely swing and miss. They put the ball in play. And, they have great team speed.

I didn't know anything about her until the tournament, but the GCU ace is dang good too. Her ERA was actually better than Kass'. I think Shannon Hays got her to transfer in from North Texas.
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

Yesterday was big. Winning the first two games in this type tournament is a huge advantage. While they were resting in their hotel rooms last night, we were playing a tough game. A timely hit or two on Friday, and the tables are reversed.

Yep, it's not like SFA was blown out. A close game that could have easily gone SFA's way and it made the difference, IMO. We saw how evenly matched the two teams are.
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

Great to hear. It wouldn't surprise me to see both teams back. They both have great coaches. When I started digging into the GCU SB team I read Coach Hays' bio. There was a positive blurb from coach Dickson.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

I fear the transfer portal. Facilities aren't the complete answer, but as long as we have crap facilities, we will lose high quality players.
And …
SFA88
They did it without her this year so they can do it again next year but that is a big loss.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

They did it without her this year so they can do it again next year but that is a big loss.
Agree, particularly if Bennett does come back to hold down first base. If all of our contributing freshmen come back, they will be a year better. Plus, a few signees that are really good.

On the other hand, Shay is a legit P5 level player. Currently, Wilbur is the only other player on the team potentially at that level. You never know, but I believe if we had Shay all season, the Ladyjacks would be playing in the NCAA.
SFAXE93
Speaking of one of those great recruits coming in.

SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Speaking of one of those great recruits coming in.

Guest is a '23, so we will have to wait a year, but she's a good one. Thanks '93.

"* For the second time this month, junior pitcher/corner infielder McKenna Guest makes our Honorable Mention National Player of the Week list after the Stephen F. Austin commit helped her Prairiland (Texas) High team get the two-game sweep in the 3A Quarterfinals.
Last Thursday, McKenna pitched a five-hit shutout with 13 strikeouts and helped her own cause by going 2-for-4 at the plate with a pair of doubles and an RBI.
The next day, she threw a complete game win with 15 K's and, once again, shined with the bat as she went 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBIs."
SFAJack_76
This one hurts.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

This one hurts.

Yep. Painful! But we can't blame her for probably getting a nice raise. I hope this doesn't change any recruits' minds about coming.
nacluth
Wow. She earned the next place she's going. Was hoping for one year of NCAA damage first. Good luck to her.
SFAXE93
It will be cool to see her turn that program around.

New Mexico softball has only had 2 winning seasons since 2002 and hasn't had one since 2014.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

This one hurts.

Yep. Painful! But we can't blame her for probably getting a nice raise. I hope this doesn't change any recruits' minds about coming.
Particularly when you factor in the NM state income tax, it's not about a nice raise. SFA is very competitive.

Our lack of quality facilities makes it very difficult to attract and retain the quality player needed to move the program to the next level. Worst in the WAC.
SFAXE93
It will be interesting to see who Ivey gets to come in, to take over the program.

He has a great system in bringing in quality coaches.

Equally interesting will be to see how the roster looks after the dust settles.

Again this team was primed for another run.

I could see maybe freshman pitcher Kaeleigh Vega who is from the state of New Mexico wanting to follow Coach Dickson.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Last 7 Seasons at Texas A&M - Commerce

2022: 43-15 LONE STAR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS; NCAA DIV. II TOURNAMENT
2021: 33-18 NCAA DIV. II TOURNAMENT (CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES)
2020: 16-7 REST OF SEASON CANCELLED
2019: 40-14 SOUTH CENTRAL REGIONAL TOURNAMENT (REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP)
2018: 42-12 NCAA DIV. II TOURNAMENT (REGIONAL CHAMPIONS) SUPER REGIONALS
2017: 34-20
2016: 37-19 SOUTH CENTRAL REGIONAL TOURNAMENT

245-105
SFAXE93

SFAJack_76
An important endorsement from Diane Baker.
SFAJack_76
I had the opportunity to meet Bruister, and the other three finalists. I think this is a very good hire. Ivey hired him to start the program at Commerce. Carthel, and others, know him and speak highly. His results are legit.

I believe the roster will be fine. Or, maybe, really good. Vega left to get closer to home. She was, at best, the #5 pitcher on the team last season. Rhodes did the same, and has committed to UCA. Two other non-starters entered the portal, and have taken their names out. Undecided how that will work out for each of them. Govan is still visiting schools. Bennett may, or may not, be back. She has liked posts about Bruister which is a positive. Hannabas appears to be coming back. Bruister had a Zoom call with all of the players on Tuesday before the announcement. I hear it seemed to go well.

Two of the five signees asked for release from their NLI's. Not sure how that will play out, but we will release them if that is still what they want.

Bruister was very clear about who he wanted for one of the assistants. That process is in motion. He also had a good idea who he wanted for the other assistant.

I hated to see Nicole and Morgan leave, (they loaded their belongings yesterday, and are driving to Albuquerque) but I do believe the future for SFA softball is very bright.
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Awesome move for her.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.