2021 Softball

12,861 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

Beat HBU today 1-0 to take the series 2 games to 1 and improved to 34-10; 25-2; RPI: #94

Tourney Time!

May 11 (Tues.) in Hammond.

HBU will be tough in the tournament. Their pitcher is VERY good. She's just about an equal to Wilbur.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAXE93 said:

Beat HBU today 1-0 to take the series 2 games to 1 and improved to 34-10; 25-2; RPI: #94

Tourney Time!

HBU will be tough in the tournament. Their pitcher is VERY good. She's just about an equal to Wilbur.
  • 8-10 2.41 ERA
  • 29-4 0.82 ERA

One of these is most definitely not about equal to the other.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAXE93 said:

Tourney Time!

• 8-10 2.41 ERA
  • 29-4 0.82 ERA

One of these is most definitely not about equal to the other.

She most definitely was the last two days.
SFAJack_76
The tournament bracket the SLC now has posted has some differences from what had been posted.

We play our first game at 1:30 on Wednesday. SLU, ACU, and NSU are on our side of the bracket, with SLU and ACU playing a single elimination game on Tuesday. After that, it is double elimination. Games will be streamed on ESPN+ until the championship game.

https://www.southland.org/documents/2021/5/8//2021_Bracket_SET.pdf
SFAJack_76
Small senior class. Novegil is a four year starter, mostly at second base.
SFAJack_76
    SLC accolades. They got this one right.

• Nicole Dickson - coach of the year.
  • Shay Govan - first team 1B, and hitter of the year.
  • Kassidy Wilbur - first team P, player of the year, and pitcher of the year.
  • Mackenzie Bennett - first team DP
  • Bryana Novegil - first team 2B
  • Gabby Garcia - second team UT
  • Camryn Middlebrook - second team SS
  • Alex Hedspeth - third team 3B

Novegil is the only senior on the list. All-conference infield.

nacluth
Wow! Incredible haul by a great team. I really hope they have something right turn out for them in the postseason.
SFAJack_76
The SLC tournament was scheduled to start Tuesday at SLU with two first round, single elimination games followed by two games which would start double elimination. Four games scheduled for Wednesday, with SFA playing their first game at 1:30. The games scheduled for 11:00 AM and 1:30 PM on Tuesday were delayed to 6:00 and 8:30 due to rain. Later, they were delayed to 11:00 and 1:30 on Wednesday due to unplayable field conditions. The rain had stopped about 1:00 PM on Tuesday.

Wednesday morning the SLC announced that due to weather and "inclement field conditions" the two first round games were being delayed to 5:00 and 7:30 and would be played at St. Thomas Aquinas High school, which is about five minutes from SLU. No ESPN+ coverage from the high school. The balance of the schedule is TBD.

Shocking I know, but the SLC had no back up plan until Wednesday morning. Rain has been in the forecast for several days. There is some discussion that there may be games played at Live Oak High School which is about 50 miles from Hammond.

Probably appropriate to point out that SLU has a turf field. So, high school fields are playable, but SLU is not. July 1, cannot get here soon enough.

Pilotgirl
Wow. No words. SMH.
TallTexan
Their turf field isn't playable? Wow.
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Sam eliminates HBU 4-3 with an unearned run in the top of the 7th.
SLU eliminates ACU 4-3 with a run in the bottom of the 8th.

SFA scheduled to play the winner of SLU and NSU in the final game of the day at 6:30 on Thursday

No rain today. SLU field does have a turf infield, but has a grass outfield that is being currently described as mush, so all games probably are at the high school field.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Sam eliminates HBU 4-3 with an unearned run in the top of the 7th.
SLU eliminates ACU 4-3 with a run in the bottom of the 8th.

SFA scheduled to play the winner of SLU and NSU in the final game of the day at 6:30 on Thursday

No rain today. SLU field does have a turf infield, but has a grass outfield that is being currently described as mush, so all games probably are at the high school field.

I'd love to see us go to an all weather field if we build new facilities, especially since any month of the year in Nac has the potential to be monsoon season.
SFAJack_76
McNeese - 3
Sam - 1

NSU - 7
SLU - 4

McNeese - 6
UCA - 5

SFA - 4
NSU - 1

SFA vs McNeese on Friday at 4:00. The winner is the remaining undefeated team, and has the inside track to the championship.
SFAXE93
Down 0-2 to McNeese in the top of the 6th.
nacluth
So now have to win 3 in a row for the title.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks curse strikes once again.
TallTexan
Beyond frustrating to be in this position but I know they can win 3 in a row.
BigJack85
In a bit of trouble against Central Arkansas.... softball season might end earlier than we had hoped.
TallTexan
Man. To win so many games and not even get to the NCAA tourney sucks.

Also, I think the ump blew that call at first base.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Bad call on the last play of the game. Shaylon Govan was NOT out at first base to end the game and the season for SFA. I'm not saying that SFA lost the game on that call, but it took away another plate appearance in the bottom of the 7th for the Ladyjacks.
nacluth
BigJack85
Total freaking downer. Awful. Awful.
PurpleOut
Staff
Another year another conference tournament choke job. I've lost track of how many regular season champs we've had over the years that didn't make it the NCAA tournament because we lost a stupid conference tournament.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Another year another conference tournament choke job. I've lost track of how many regular season champs we've had over the years that didn't make it the NCAA tournament because we lost a stupid conference tournament.

It's becoming an issue.
SFAXE93
"Not the ending we wanted or expected"

it's becoming our new motto

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

We had to have lost more conference tourneys than anyone else in the conference right?
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Choke job is an absolutely horrific way to describe what happened. I will elaborate on the season later. Be better.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

We had to have lost more conference tourneys than anyone else in the conference right?

Because we get there more than anybody else? What are the facts?
TallTexan
That's definitely a part of it. Being a high level team means being in position to be upset in the tourney more often.

But I wonder if there's a way to get over the hump?

I want to run the numbers on it for all our tourney sports. Feel like there might be some small things we could do to maximize our tourney chances.

I don't feel like it's an issue that men's basketball has anymore and I feel like a significant piece there was playing high level teams early and treating it like tourney games.

I still remember Underwood calling a timeout after the Texas game was out of hand to coach the guys on what happened and how thatll cost them in March. He was so loud everyone in the Erwin center could hear him.
SFAJack_76
Don't just run the numbers for SFA. If you are going to do it, do all sports, all teams. Sam women tennis, and Nicholls MBB won regular season championships this year. Neither won the tournament.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Don't just run the numbers for SFA. If you are going to do it, do all sports, all teams. Sam women tennis, and Nicholls MBB won regular season championships this year. Neither won the tournament.

In an ideal world, someone would have compiled the data of all conferences to compare to, but I'll see what I can find.
SFAXE93
In respect to women's basketball no one since 2003 has been very consistent in winning the tourney finals.

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL SLC CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT SINCE 1988

1988: SFA
1989: SFA
1990: SFA
1991: SFA
1992: SFA
1993: SFA
1994: SFA
1995: SFA
1996: SFA
1997: TEXAS STATE
1998: SFA
1999: SFA
2000: SFA
2001: SFA
2002: SFA
2003: TEXAS STATE
2004: NORTHWESTERN STATE
2005: UTA
2006: SFA
2007: UTA
2008: UTSA
2009: UTSA
2010: LAMAR
2011: MCNEESE STATE
2012: MCNEESE STATE
2013: ORAL ROBERTS
2014: NORTHWESTERN STATE
2015: NORTHWESTERN STATE
2016: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
2017: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
2018: NICHOLLS STATE
2019: ABILENE CHRISTIAN
2020: CANCELLED
2021: SFA

SFA has 16 total SLC basketball tourney championships, this year was the first in 15 years.

Only fitting that they win it on the way out.

Also only SFA has won more than two in a row.
SFAXE93
And overall as an AD program in the last 15 years

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE COMMISSIONER'S CUP (LAST 15 YEARS)

Future WAC Teams

2020-2021: (CURRENT)
1.) SFA
2.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
5.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
7.) LAMAR

2019-2020:
1.) SFA
2.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
8.) LAMAR

2018-2019:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
3.) LAMAR
4.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2017-2018:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
4.) LAMAR
6.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2016-2017:
1.) SFA
2.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
3.) LAMAR
6.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2015-2016:
1.) SFA
2.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
3.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
5.) LAMAR

2014-2015:
1.) SFA
2.) LAMAR
3.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
6.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2013-2014:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
3.) LAMAR
9.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN (1ST YEAR IN THE SLC)

2012-2013:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
3.) LAMAR

2011-2012:
1.) SFA
4.) LAMAR
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE

2010-2011:
2.) SFA
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
7.) LAMAR

2009-2010:
1.) SFA
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
7.) LAMAR

2008-2009:
3.) SFA
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
7.) LAMAR

2007-2008:
2.) LAMAR
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
6.) SFA

2006-2007:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
3.) LAMAR
5.) SFA

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.