2021 Baseball

20,394 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
10 losses in a row is unacceptable. It's time to move on..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Feel like we started last season on the right foot, and for that one to be cancelled while this one gets off to a poor start is just rough to see.

Felt like we were ready to turn a corner.
Pilotgirl
I don't follow baseball (because I just don't care for the sport) so as an 'outsider' perspective...I can't imagine keeping a coach where we have a losing season over and over
I vaguely remember us being good at baseball some years back..am I just imagining that? I understand the facilities are awful, so that plays into recruiting, etc. But this conversation is had every year about Cardenas and that alone, tells me it's time to move on.
SFASawmillGuy
We had really one season(the dozier season) where we were good. The rest of the time we've been inconsistent and lack any sort of depth.

Facilities is a part of it and makes it hard to recruit. We are the HBU of baseball when it comes to facilities, there's no questioning that. I played little league games when I was younger in nicer ballparks.
But even then, we should have found a way to have at least some kind of success.
Will a new coach give us better success? Idk. Maybe not. But when you see people calling for Carthel or Keller's jobs after one bad year yet Cardenas gets 12 years with most of them finishing in the bottom half of the conference, I think it's time to move on.
cboothe09
Cardenas brings a lot of value to the university. It doesn't show up in the W-L record all the time, but there are other things he does that are special.

Out of all the programs, he is probably the absolute best about connecting with alumni and keeping that relationship with former players. Former players are VERY loyal to Cardenas. Had a former coworker that was recruited by Donnie Watson to play at SFA, and if it wasn't for Cardenas, he wouldn't have stayed...
SFASawmillGuy
Don't mistake my criticism of Cardenas's coaching ability for me not acknowledging his value. As previously said, he's probably the most spirited coach SFA has, and yes, he is outstanding with the alumni.
However in D1 college athletics, wins and losses is a big deal, and he's struggled through 12 seasons to consistently put together winning teams.
I think it's time to looks somewhere else as far as a baseball coach, but maybe keep Cardenas on in the athletic department. Have him in a position where he can interact with the alumni and use his SFA pride to help move the department forward.
Baseball is the hardest sport for us to win at because of our disadvantages, but as long as we sponsor the sport we should put as much effort into winning there as we do everywhere else.
cboothe09
Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out.

I agree, if the school were to make a change, I really think there is a place for Cardenas still in the athletic department. Like Crittenden, there is a place. I think Cardenas would be AMAZING with the J-Foundation. His ability to connect with athletes is phenomenal.
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out.

I agree, if the school were to make a change, I really think there is a place for Cardenas still in the athletic department. Like Crittenden, there is a place. I think Cardenas would be AMAZING with the J-Foundation. His ability to connect with athletes is phenomenal.
I was thinking this same thing actually. But he seems like the type of guy/coach that wouldn't be ale to stay away from the game.

But I think that's a great option. I love Johnny too, he threw BP to my friends and I on the field before a game a few years ago. But I also think that there needs to be a change. I agree that the facilities suck, overall support sucks. But if you don't at least try to change it up...then what's the point?
SFAJack_76
Went to baseball after softball last night in time to see us take a 3-1 lead, and then lose 6-4. Eleven straight losses. Crazy game. UNO coach ejected. UNO starting pitcher that was a belligerent twit that could have been ejected. And, the pitchers father that obviously has had serious influence on his son. All three. Spent the last three plus innings cooling their heals in the team bus.

As far as the Lumberjacks, got some hits, but not much to like. Didn't execute in sacrifice situations. Completely botched a ninth inning run down after a nice pick off by the pitcher. That allowed a guy to score all the way from second. Right now anyway, this is not a good team.
SFASawmillGuy
It's very possible with how we're playing we don't win another game all year.
SFASawmillGuy
I think Ryan Ivey knows it, but we need to do just like we did with hiring Keller and Carthel, and that's bring in a recruiter.
At this point Xs and Os aren't gonna help this team, we need depth, and we need to get kids who want to play D1 ball.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

It's very possible with how we're playing we don't win another game all year.

You mean after the one they won today?
SFASawmillGuy
Fair enough. Maybe I should continue to doubt us to will them to do better. Lol
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Fair enough. Maybe I should continue to doubt us to will them to do better. Lol
Wow. How dare you jinx us with your faith in the team? We'll expect better doubting from here on out.
SFASawmillGuy
I'll do my best. My overwhelming support for SFA makes it difficult
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Big win over conference leader McNeese, Jacks have won 3 of last 4.
SFAXE93
This team is finding their mojo

TallTexan
Much improved since we fixed 03's jinx.
SFAXE93
BOOM! Series win over McNeese!

Jacks improve to 5-6 in the conference and have now won 4 straight and 5 out of 6.

Going for the sweep tomorrow.

The Cowboys were 9-0 at home at the start of this series.

SFASawmillGuy
I bet we don't win another game all year. Just to keep the magic going.
SFAJack_76
Sweeeep! 2-0. Five in a row. Six out of seven.

SFAXE93
The Cowboys didn't know what hit them!

Jacks improve to 8-12

6-6 in conference

Back home to the Nac, bring on UIW.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Feel like we started last season on the right foot, and for that one to be cancelled while this one gets off to a poor start is just rough to see.

Felt like we were ready to turn a corner.

I really want to see Cardenas succeed.. I hope he rips off a ton of wins..
BigJack85
Up 12-0 on UIW. Bottom of the 5th. They look like a different team other past 8-10 games.
SFAXE93
14-0 final

6 straight

SFAJack_76
Six straight. Seven out of eight. Can someone point me to the fire Johnny thread? I can't seem to find it.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Six straight. Seven out of eight. Can someone point me to the fire Johnny thread? I can't seem to find it.

Man I'm so happy for him. I hope we continue on this tear.
SFAXE93
Not slowing down, Jacks up 5-0 in the bottom of the 3rd right now. The game is live on Youtube

As I type this another hit, scoring another now 6-0 with no outs.

UIW be like make it stop!

22 straight scoreless innings

SFAXE93
Victory 11-1

7 Straight

Game 3 coming up
SFAXE93
Lost game 3

10-15
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I'll do my best. My overwhelming support for SFA makes it difficult
Wow. Way to pull for us in the 2nd half of the double header.
TallTexan
Looks like we might have another funding option for a park one day other than Dozier.

SFAXE93
That does it, another series win for the Jacks as they take down UIW 11-1 in game 4 and improve to 11-13; 9-7 climbing up into 5th place in the SLC, winning 9 of the last 11.

Killer stretch coming up

#5 TEXAS (APRIL 7)
#4 TEXAS TECH 2X (APRIL 13 & 14)
4 game series with 1st Place SLU (April 16-18)

Bring it and Axe'Em!
SFAXE93

Egg hunt

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.