2021 Baseball

20,393 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

MARCO NAVARRO 6-0; 185 Coppell, Texas/Venezuela (Coppell)

- 2021 at SFA
- 2020 at Missouri Southern State played in only 8 games Hit .357; 2 Doubles; 3 RBIs; 3 Runs
- 2019 at Central Arkansas Hit .279; 3 HR; 24 RBIs; Walked 17 times; 4 Doubles; 25 runs
- 2018 NCJAA All-Star at Hill JR College Hit .407; 37 RBIs; 7 HR; 18 Doubles; .529 OBP
- 2017 All-State Selection at Coppell High Hit .313; 7 Doubles; 21 RBIs; .415 OBP

At UCA he had a career day against SFA 3/24/2019
5 AB; 1 Run; 3 Hits; 4 RBIs; 1 HR (.308)

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
It will be interesting to see how the SLC screws baseball up, like they did basketball.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
Lufkin has the indoor football faculty that is better than SFA, now they have a better ballpark better than ours.

BigJack85
Ya. Crazy. Insane.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Lufkin has the indoor football faculty that is better than SFA, now they have a better ballpark better than ours.

Paid for by my property tax. Part of a $75 million dollar bond issue. All it takes is money. A lot of money.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Alan is right. Tax money and bond money. There are many high schools all across Texas with better baseball and softball facilities than SFA. They simply put a bazillion dollar bond issue in front of voters that includes athletic upgrades alongside needed new schools and classroom upgrades and -- presto -- nice athletic facilities. That's an ATM machine that universities do not have.

Our local 6-A high school (Brazoswood) just built a fantastic fieldhouse with bond money. Brazoswood has won ONE football game in the last two years. But the fieldhouse was tacked on to a bazillion dollar bond issue for a new high school and four new elementary schools, so the bond election passed easily.
SFAJack_76
To clarify, I voted for the bond issue. Rebuilding the middle school, which is way outdated, worn out, and less than safe, was the biggest part of the issue. Getting baseball and softball on campus, rather than having high school kids go across town to play and practice, was the right thing to do. That plus the multi purpose building (gym+) never would have passed stand alone. All are the right thing to do for Lufkin and Angelina County.

SFA can't get funds through a bond issue. What SFA does need is an athletic fee like virtually every other university in Texas has.
TallTexan
Do you happen to know what the new baseball/softball field cost?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Don't know exactly, but about $5 million for the baseball/softball complex.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Don't know exactly, but about $5 million for the baseball/softball complex.
For an SFA dedicated field nearer to campus, that wouldn't be bad.
sirwin0317
sirwin0317
Anyone have any thoughts or predictions on the coming season? I have talked quite a bit to my son and he is very excited about all of the talent. He says that the grad transfers are all awesome and very talented. Lots of good young guys also.
SFAJack_76
I think that I posted somewhere that 8 of our 9 seniors from last year had returned. That was what Cardenas told us at one of the fall games. At that time, he said his biggest challenge was managing the roster. I can't vouch for quality, but having competition for roster spots isn't an issue.

Would love to see a roster, but I suspect it isn't set. It sure wasn't in the fall.
cboothe09
I think have enough experience returning to make a good run at things. Anything under 4th would be a disappointment in my book right now...
SFAJack_76
Although there is a schedule posted, it sounds like it is not set. I was told to delete the season tickets sent to us. A new set will come out early February plus or minus. I think I saw someone say the SLC was considering fewer series, but making them four games with a DH on Saturday. That would put a premium on pitching depth.

Softball schedule is also in flux.
SFAJack_76
And, here it is.
sirwin0317
https://instagr.am/p/CKOqh5Hq3pj

It is almost time! #28 is my guy. So excited to get back on their field.
SFAJack_76
Big squad.
sirwin0317
lots of pitchers in that picture!
cboothe09
I wish they could get us into the Shriners College Classic at Minute Maid with Texas State, Texas Tech, Rice, Sam, and TCU. A&M backed out last night...
Cardenas already said we were booked that weekend, but it would be a HUGE opportunity for visibility. I feel like UL Lafayette gets the call...
TallTexan
Man. I'd have swapped weekends to get into that tbh.

Just huge visibility.
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

I wish they could get us into the Shriners College Classic at Minute Maid with Texas State, Texas Tech, Rice, Sam, and TCU. A&M backed out last night...
Cardenas already said we were booked that weekend, but it would be a HUGE opportunity for visibility. I feel like UL Lafayette gets the call...
Yeah I saw that yesterday and immediately checked our schedule.
cboothe09
Speaking of visibility. While I hate to compare to them because two very different situations, but have ya'll seen the non-conference schedule for Sam? Very impressive. Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Texas A&M all come to Huntsville

Feb 19-21 VS Oklahoma State
Feb 24 vs. Texas State @ Globe Life
Feb 26-28 vs. UTSA
March 2 @ Baylor
March 5-6 Shriners Classic (vs. Rive & TCU)
March 9 @ Texas
April 6 VS Texas A&M
April 13 VS Baylor
April 20 @ Rice
May 7-9 vs. Little Rock

KirkHeath12
According to perfect game, not one SFA baseball player was named to the preseason all conference team.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
sirwin0317
I wouldn't put too much stock in Perfect Game's assessment. One of the players that they highlight isn't even here anymore. We were really starting to gel last year and this year have added quite a bit of talent. I keep hearing from my son how great the younger pitchers look so I think that we will have a pretty strong year.

Our slow start last year included losses to A&M, TCU, and a Portland team that raked! We were hot to start conference before covid shut us down but the team was looking great and super scrappy.
TallTexan
sirwin0317 said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in Perfect Game's assessment. One of the players that they highlight isn't even here anymore. We were really starting to gel last year and this year have added quite a bit of talent. I keep hearing from my son how great the younger pitchers look so I think that we will have a pretty strong year.

Our slow start last year included losses to A&M, TCU, and a Portland team that raked! We were hot to start conference before covid shut us down but the team was looking great and super scrappy.

I heard even our fans were getting in on the baseball workouts this year, so I expect big things.
ljax1979
I guess I never realized how big the baseball rosters were...over 50 guys! That has to be frustrating as a parent SirIrwin...guess that explains why transfers occur so often in D1 baseball.
sirwin0317
ljax1979 said:

I guess I never realized how big the baseball rosters were...over 50 guys! That has to be frustrating as a parent SirIrwin...guess that explains why transfers occur so often in D1 baseball.

This year's roster is large because of Covid. The NCAA removed roster limits because of the problems from last year. Normally the rosters are 35 and only 27 can travel. It isn't frustrating. I can only speak for myself, but most of the additional players are pitchers so it does not impact our kiddo. The competition for playing time may be a little more stiff, but my son is young and we understand that there is a process and his time will come.

Bottom line is these guys are all still on a D1 roster getting to play baseball every day and get a top notch education. Nothing frustrating about that!
ljax1979
Very interesting, thanks SirIrwin.
PurpleOut
Staff
We're playing Texas on 4/7.
BigJack85
Nice. Hopefully we have some pitching.
sirwin0317
Playing Tech the following week.
sirwin0317

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.