Beach Volleyball

41,315 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76
One year to play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How many players are they allowed to have?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

How many players are they allowed to have?
For SFA, and others with traditional volleyball, the scholarship limit for beach is six. It is not a headcount sport, so there can be more than six women with partials. Traditional women's volleyball limit is twelve, and it is a headcount sport.

I guess there will be some that play both? There are currently 18 on the indoor roster. I know of three beach signees.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I guess there will be some that play both? There are currently 18 on the indoor roster. I know of three beach signees.

I read somewhere a while back that one or two of the indoor players will get some sand between their toes, too.
SFAJack_76
Filling out the roster. I learned recently that indoor VB players can play beach, but beach players can not play indoor. Probably this first season, at least, some of the indoor girls will play beach.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Filling out the roster. I learned recently that indoor VB players can play beach, but beach players can not play indoor. Probably this first season, at least, some of the indoor girls will play beach.

So, how many total players can they have?
SFAJack_76
Indoor is a head count sport with a limit of 12 scholarships. Typically, they are carrying 16-18 on the roster meaning any over 12 are not on scholarship. Ladyjacks have 17 on the roster this season.

Beach is an equivalency sport with a limit of 6 scholarships. It looks like most teams are carrying 10-12, so all of them will have some amount of scholarship.
SFAJack_76
Yet another example of the quality of the SFA coaching staff.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
The picture on the right is of a couple of the beach volleyball girls at the volleyball match. We walked over to the beach courts after volleyball. They are putting in the sand, with some more to do. Getting close.
SFAJack_76
Cool aerial that shows the new beach volleyball courts.
SFAJack_76

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Our newest sport starts this weekend.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Yet another example of the quality of the SFA coaching staff.

This is an awesome opportunity. That's gonna pay dividends.

Now how do we get Keller for the basketball U19?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Our newest sport starts this weekend.

There are some never-heard-of schools on their schedule this season - Cedar Valley, Ottawa-Kansas, Missouri Baptist, Colorado Mesa, Cabrillo College, West Valley College.

Guess we can't expect them to start off playing the likes of UCLA, USC, Florida State, and Hawaii.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Looks like 2 months of beach volleball! INTENSE. Playing multiple matches a day...wow...gotta have stamina. I love to watch beach volleyball
SFAJack_76
The Beach Volleyball program starts with two 5-0 sweeps. Two more matches tomorrow.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

The Beach Volleyball program starts with two 5-0 sweeps. Two more matches tomorrow.

We'll never lose, we're the greatest beach volleyball team on the planet!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

We'll never lose, we're the greatest beach volleyball team on the planet!

Bring on USC! Bring on UCLA!
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks move to 3-0 after a 4-1 win over Missouri Baptist. Our final match of the tournament will be against host A&M Kingsville at 12:30.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Ladyjacks move to 3-0 after a 4-1 win over Missouri Baptist. Our final match of the tournament will be against host A&M Kingsville at 12:30.

Noticed that Corin Evans, Maddie Miller, and Margaret Dean are playing with the Beach team. That partially explains their immediate success. Nice!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Noticed that Corin Evans, Maddie Miller, and Margaret Dean are playing with the Beach team. That partially explains their immediate success. Nice!
And, Xariah Williams. Corin and Xariah are both seniors, so beach allows them to play one more time.
SFAJack_76
Got schooled by 5-0. Three of the matches went to a third set.
SFAJack_76
Split two in Tucson yesterday, losing 5-0 to Washington, and beating Colorado Mesa 3-2.

Now 4-2, they play Arizona today to finish this road trip.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Split two in Tucson yesterday, losing 5-0 to Washington, and beating Colorado Mesa 3-2.

Definitely a step up in competition this week, taking on two Pac12 schools. They'll know what they need to work on after this.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Definitely a step up in competition this week, taking on two Pac12 schools. They'll know what they need to work on after this.
It's a process. Our indoor girls are learning to play beach. One of our beach girls hasn't played yet, but I have heard she may be able to play soon.
SFAJack_76
Lost to #13 Arizona 5-0. One of the matches went three sets. The others were reasonably competitive.

Head to California in a week for six matches spread over five sites.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Results from a match yesterday. Don't bother looking on the SFA site, because all you will find is the score.

https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2020/3/10/womens-beach-volleyball-beach-volleyball-defeats-stephen-f-austin.aspx
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Results from a match yesterday. Don't bother looking on the SFA site, because all you will find is the score.

https://sjsuspartans.com/news/2020/3/10/womens-beach-volleyball-beach-volleyball-defeats-stephen-f-austin.aspx

Every one of the matchups was competitive against a very good, experienced team. That's very encouraging.
SFAJack_76
Disappointing that I have to go to an opponent's site to get this information. Nothing but a score on the SFA site. Nothing on social media that I have found.

https://pacifictigers.com/news/2020/3/11/general-tigers-drop-close-contest-to-lady-jacks.aspx

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2020/2/29/beach-volleyball-wildcats-stay-undefeated-in-day-two-of-cactus-classic.aspx
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.