Selection Sunday!

22,750 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't count on a school allotment of tickets of any kind, if you haven't gotten you tickets yet keep looking for a deal from people that bought tickets and forgot their kid had a band performance.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

So you're saying there's a chance! Just posting this here to see what we're starting with.

Those are probably better odds than we had against VCU, West Virginia, or Notre Dame. (Why did I bring up Notre Dame?!?!)
nacluth
Honestly, I think Tech is the weakest of the 3 seeds. It's a winnable game. It will take our best, but we can do it!
cboothe09
By my count the Southland has 7 teams playing postseason basketball. One team notably absent: Nicholls. Any word on that?
NCAA: SFA
NIT: SLU (@ St. Mary's)
CIT: SHSU (Bye), ACU (@ Drake), Lamar (vs. UTSA)
CBI: UNO (vs. UTRGV), UCA (@ Seattle)
nacluth
I think I remember that I saw them say that they were going to stay home if they didn't make the NCAA's. Could be wrong, but I thought I read that decision before the tournament.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

By my count the Southland has 7 teams playing postseason basketball. One team notably absent: Nicholls. Any word on that?
Matt said they likely decided to stay home due to lack of funds. Which really sucks for their team.
SFA Jack Fanatic
FYI: As of a couple of minutes ago (9:50 p.m.) Seat Geek had a very small number of seats up in the Crows Nest rafters for about $35. Grab them ASAP if interested. I've decided to stay home and watch on TV.
TallTexan
edstile said:

FYI: As of a couple of minutes ago (9:50 p.m.) Seat Geek had a very small number of seats up in the Crows Nest rafters for about $35. Grab them ASAP if interested. I've decided to stay home and watch on TV.
I would if I could, but we're out in Cali until June.
No-look
CBS Sports Line computers has SFA upsetting Tech.
nacluth
Having been there a couple of times, there's not really a bad seat in the house. The nosebleed sections aren't great, but you can still experience the action. I mean I could follow the puck up there at Stars' games.

I'm locked up for Thursday, but we'll be there to see us get to beat Florida on Saturday.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Having been there a couple of times, there's not really a bad seat in the house. The nosebleed sections aren't great, but you can still experience the action. I mean I could follow the puck up there at Stars' games.

I'm locked up for Thursday, but we'll be there to see us get to beat Florida on Saturday.
Agreed, I sat on the top row for tournament games at the AAC before and it wasn't terrible. If you can go, I strongly suggest going to be in the arena. There is NOTHING else in sports like the NCAA Tournament.
TheRevSFA
Got my tix and glad I did. Jeez those prices skyrocketed quickly
fortWorthJack
I got my tickets as soon as they released the times officially. Going to be on the bottom level ">
TallTexan
nacluth said:

By "locked up for Thursday", I take it that means you'll be watching the game at home right? None of this date night nonsense?
nacluth
Tick. Tick. Tick. Now begins the longest four days of the year. I'm going to enjoy them so I don't have a stroke from all the anticipation. Let the daydreams and anxieties commence as they only can when your team's a winner.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

By "locked up for Thursday", I take it that means you'll be watching the game at home right? None of this date night nonsense?
Actually in San Antonio on family spring break trip. (Saturday I'll still be there, but I'll abandon everyone to get to Dallas). I plan on writing a little about my experience from two years ago, but for now let's just say, I will be at the exact same place I was watching us play West Virginia.
TallTexan
The more that I think about it, the more I like this Tech matchup. We get to play in Dallas, we play a local big 12 school, and we're going to get a great audience I think.

Don't the schools playing usually get a commercial slot or to on the TV broadcast? That could be great for our marketing efforts, with a lot of locals tuning in to watch us beat Tech.
No-look
nacluth said:

Tick. Tick. Tick. Now begins the longest four days of the year. I'm going to enjoy them so I don't have a stroke from all the anticipation. Let the daydreams and anxieties commence as they only can when your team's a winner.
Let's just frolic in the sunshine a while. Maybe Isaac will give us some videos and articles and some inside info to feast on and we can sip that awesome purple koolaid for a few days.
sfa17
I'm in. Just overpaid for some nosebleed seats. Let's Go Jacks
MasterJack11
I have a few things to say about our great run into our fourth NCAA tournament in five years, sorry if it gets wordy.

First thing- I respect Kyle Keller for speaking on our rich basketball history and our great institution. He spoke about Danny Kaspar and Brad Underwood. He was very heartfelt about Robert Hill and the University which is AWESOME. Let's not just always talk about what Walkup and that 2016 team did (no disrespect, I LOVE THOMAS and what he did). Let's not forget the 1-2 punch of Josh Alexander - Matt Kingsley and the 2006-2008 teams (both were POY in the Southland Conference). Then we had Eddie Williams and Jerreal Scott squads (not as much success but still a hell of a 1-2 punch). The list goes on and on. Yes Walkup and Parker had some special teams but this has been build for a while (about 12 years or so). I wish more people from SFA would bring up some of those teams because they had no history and NO RESPECT from the country. They got these teams the national attention and respect.

Second thing- We have the depth and no individual SUPER STAR which makes me nervous but has me confident. This team does not look to one guy to set the tone. One night its TJ, another night it's Shannon, on and on and on. When Tech watches the tape, they can't point to one guy and say, we have to make everyone else beat us but this guy (similar to what we did to VEAL in the championship). Our bench is just as strong as our starting 5 in my opinion.

Third thing- I hope the University does something to get students to that game. Tech will be there. We need to show up and show out. Keller said when he was announced as our head coach, William R. Johnson needs to be like a Sunday revival , we need that at the AAC in Dallas on Thursday and Saturday!

Fourth thing- Getting in the Dallas regional is huge for our recruiting for the next few years. A lot of high school basketball players will be at the game or able to watch it locally. HUGE HUGE for recruiting moving forward.

Fifth thing- Keller said when announced as HC- The tournament really starts on the second weekend. We have a good road if we get pass Tech. Everyone is saying Florida can be beat by the 11 seed (play in game). This could set up a UCLA rematch from a few years back or a game against another mid-major SBU.

Last Thing- I will be in Vegas and plan to watch and bet on the game. Prior to the southland conference tournament, I bought Final Four tickets. I will be in San Antonio for the Saturday's two games. This is the year, I think we could see two mid-majors make the final four just like 2011 with Butler and VCU. Wouldn't it be something if the Jacks could get to the Final Four and potentially play most of their post season in the state of Texas? Southland in Katy, First Weekend in Dallas and Final Four in San Antonio. I don't want to get too ahead of myself but that would be something special. Only play 2 games outside of the state of Texas.WOW

I hate I can't be in Dallas because I already made plans to being in Vegas on Thursday for the first and second round games but please please be loud and proud for me, as I will be in Vegas. I sure hope they make it affordable for students and potentially bus students to the game for a reasonable price. If you will be in Vegas, let me know, let's get a group of Lumberjacks together at a bar!

Axe em!

MasterJack11
M.A. Class of 2011
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

If the SLC is better as the coaches are saying, this is the opportunity. I don't tie our success to that of the conference, but some wins helps the national view.

Stinks for the Nicholls players and staff. That has to hurt recruiting.
cboothe09
That the thing about Nicholls recruiting though. They are trying to be a Last Chance U, snagging high DI players that have had some issues along the way. I don't feel like they are trying to develop talent right now as much as they are trying to win and get their name out there.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

cboothe09 said:

If the SLC is better as the coaches are saying, this is the opportunity. I don't tie our success to that of the conference, but some wins helps the national view.

Stinks for the Nicholls players and staff. That has to hurt recruiting.

I think with Serraille and Hughes and other future players we'll continue to be the most talented team in the conference, but the league not tanking our SOS every year going forward would be nice so long as we continue to win.

I think everyone of those games is winnable, but St Mary's is probably the toughest. After watching him play though, I wouldn't out anything past Veal.
nacluth
cboothe09 said:

NCAA: SFA (vs Tech)
I don't know TallTexan, I don't see any way ACU beats Drake or SLU gets by St. Mary's. Lamar and UNO's games are possible, but I expect losses. UCA could beat Seattle if Howard puts on a show. I will only give Sam a slight edge in their game only because there's no opponent, but I still wouldn't be shocked if they lose it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterJack11 said:

I have a few things to say about our great run into our fourth NCAA tournament in five years, sorry if it gets wordy.

Second thing- We have the depth and no individual SUPER STAR which makes me nervous but has me confident. This team does not look to one guy to set the tone. One night its TJ, another night it's Shannon, on and on and on. When Tech watches the tape, they can't point to one guy and say, we have to make everyone else beat us but this guy (similar to what we did to VEAL in the championship). Our bench is just as strong as our starting 5 in my opinion.

Fourth thing- Getting in the Dallas regional is huge for our recruiting for the next few years. A lot of high school basketball players will be at the game or able to watch it locally. HUGE HUGE for recruiting moving forward.

Well said, 11, especially these two!!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

cboothe09 said:

NCAA: SFA (vs Tech)
I don't know TallTexan, I don't see any way ACU beats Drake or SLU gets by St. Mary's. Lamar and UNO's games are possible, but I expect losses. UCA could beat Seattle if Howard puts on a show. I will only give Sam a slight edge in their game only because there's no opponent, but I still wouldn't be shocked if they lose it.
I should have said I think a win is possible in any of those games. I don't expect them to win all of them, just that they aren't so overmatched so that it would be nearly impossible.
nacluth
Oh I know. I really was just pointing out that I thought the ACU and SELA games are extremely tough.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Oh I know. I really was just pointing out that I thought the ACU and SELA games are extremely tough.
Yep. I'd almost tune in to watch Veal though. Kid was all over the court.
TallTexan
They just announced on twitter that the ticket office has secured more tickets for the game and they are now on sale at the SFA Athletic Ticket office. Phone number 936-468-Jack.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.