SFA / McNeese State

26,169 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
edstile said:

I also was unable to watch the game due to a community service club commitment, but in reading through this thread I couldn't help but shake my head.

Here's a synopsis of what I read...

First half: "This is the best team in the history of SFA MBB."

Second half: "This is the worst team in the history of SFA MBB."

And (the all-too-often-heard-lately cherry on top of: "I hate Keller."

Still shaking my head......

I might be the leader of the "he's a great guy but questionable coach," pack...

But, even I can't place it ALL on him.

Yes, he and his staff made the decision to slow it down with about 11:00 left. We went Dannyball. Bad.

So, yes, that's on him. We went Atlanta Falcons and not Eagles.

But, we can't look past our two best shooters missing free throws time after time.

So not his best coaching, at least in the 2nd half of the 2nd half, but not all on him.

RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

RedRiverLa said:

Gazette1 said:

Ok, coach Wade said on the rap up show that we did not deserve to win this game. He said our defense was atrocious. I agree bit I also add that we got out coached. Our staff cannot get our team to play a complete game. They clobbered us in the second half. I'm very disappointed in our team and our coaching staff. Enough said.

Hit our free throws the last 5 minutes of the game and it's a comfortable 15 point win on the road. 1-8 down the stretch in the last minute from the line and 14-26 overall has nothing to do with coaching.

I think the "outcoached" part was in reference to the adjustments MCN made in pressure and the decision we made to sit on the clock with 12:00 left.

Those choices damn near cost us.
I understand the feeling, this was a must win - and we did that, so I'm just not as disapointed as others with this win nor do I think the extreme that we were clobbered or outcoached. I think the atrocity at the line almost cost us. And the fact that we miss layups - it's ridiculous. Sitting on the clock is a strategy that doesn't/shouldn't give the opponent the time to make a run if you execute it properly - but the part of that that makes it seem bad in hindsight is when you have the chance to make a layup or a free throw to keep the point distance and you don't convert at an alarming rate in the last 4 minutes of a game, and the other team continues to throw up ungodly desparation 3s. For me, this comfortable game turned around the 4 minute mark because of that. All I know, is we better take care of the worst team in the conference at home, and we better do it for 40 minutes. And now for a controversial statment - I'm excited about football this year.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

edstile said:

I also was unable to watch the game due to a community service club commitment, but in reading through this thread I couldn't help but shake my head.

Here's a synopsis of what I read...

First half: "This is the best team in the history of SFA MBB."

Second half: "This is the worst team in the history of SFA MBB."

And (the all-too-often-heard-lately cherry on top of: "I hate Keller."

Still shaking my head......

I might be the leader of the "he's a great guy but questionable coach," pack...

But, even I can't place it ALL on him.

Yes, he and his staff made the decision to slow it down with about 11:00 left. We went Dannyball. Bad.

So, yes, that's on him. We went Atlanta Falcons and not Eagles.

But, we can't look past our two best shooters missing free throws time after time.

So not his best coaching, at least in the 2nd half of the 2nd half, but not all on him.

As a Saints fan I love the Falcon reference. You win the internet today.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
No-look said:

Didn't get to watch the game but from reading the post it seems that if would have hit our free throws in crunch time we win comfortably.
That's it in a nutshell.
Lumberjack Battalion
INiedrauer
Staff
MasterAxe is making good points but they'd be better if SFA's lead was really in any danger - and I didn't feel that way at all. Dannyball did it's job even if I'm not a huge fan of how early we went there. It worked and it would have worked by a lot more if we hit FTs.
MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

MasterAxe is making good points but they'd be better if SFA's lead was really in any danger - and I didn't feel that way at all. Dannyball did it's job even if I'm not a huge fan of how early we went there. It worked and it would have worked by a lot more if we hit FTs.

Those first words might be the best thing to ever happen to me.

You know, besides my wife and son and job, blah blah blah.

nacluth
To me the coaching decision that had a lot of impact on the game was the overutilizing of a rusty Kevon. I just figured that Keller was trying to get him rolling again. He looked rough on some shots. Obviously the late free throws stick out, but it could have been just a little winded with a fair amount of action. He wasn't great on defense tonight, but it doesn't look like it will take long to get back to form. No real worries, but he was probably in about 5 minutes too many.

On the flip side, let's give Gilmore his due. Double double tonight, but he's been the most solid performer game after game for a while now. I am so glad he's playing this year. Beast it Gilmore!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
On an inconsequential side note, Jacks are now 19-5 eclipsing their 18-13 win total from last year.
tangerito
The did expose our point guard situation to a degree. With Comeaux injured and Augustin in foul trouble we are out of actual point guards which could hurt us moving forward. I hated the "Play not to loose" game plan for the second half. It appeared to me it started at 15:50 left in the half. Keep the hammer down!
TallTexan
tangerito said:

The did expose our point guard situation to a degree. With Comeaux injured and Augustin in foul trouble we are out of actual point guards which could hurt us moving forward. I hated the "Play not to loose" game plan for the second half. It appeared to me it started at 15:50 left in the half. Keep the hammer down!
I'd prefer to have a true 3rd option at PG. Who do we have in next year's recruiting class?
INiedrauer
Staff
Ivan can definitely log solid minutes at the point, but that's where it ends. Problem without Kevon was they needed him to play at the wing all the time.

Jock Hughes will help there and I'm going to go out on a not-far-at-all limb and say there will be at least one more PG-capable player added before July.
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

Jock Hughes will help there and I'm going to go out on a not-far-at-all limb and say there will be at least one more PG-capable player added before July.
Thanks for the update. I couldn't remember if Jock was an SG or PG. In terms of the PG capable player limb, is this limb sturdier than the athletic big man limb? I expect you to be out recruiting grad transfer this year to help Keller land a solid big man.
TallTexan
For the record though, I also get the feeling that we'll add another PG Juco transfer this summer.
INiedrauer
Staff
There are two very athletic big men who hang out at Iona and Western Kentucky who both broke my limb last spring so I'll be careful walking that far out again.
No-look
Watched the replay. Game was never in doubt. I found myself feeling sorry for the players, band and cheerleaders. Just a handful of fans in the gym. How can you get up for games like that if that's your homecourt? SFA is special.
No-look
INiedrauer said:

Ivan can definitely log solid minutes at the point, but that's where it ends. Problem without Kevon was they needed him to play at the wing all the time.

We need an extra point and a ruthless big. I still have high hopes for Fisher. Not to put too much emphasis on a freshman but Hughes could give some good minutes next year. He is a pure shooter but will have to adapt to D1 ball.
TallTexan
No-look said:

INiedrauer said:

We need an extra point and a ruthless big. I still have high hopes for Fisher. Not to put too much emphasis on a freshman but Hughes could give some good minutes next year. He is a pure shooter but will have to adapt to D1 ball.
I've got high hopes for Fisher, but bigs do best IMO when they have a few years to mature & put on muscle, so a grad transfer would be highly appealing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.