SFA / Missouri

31,043 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by djsfw57
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cardiac Jacks (10-1) vs. Missouri (9-2)

WHERE: Columbia, Missouri
WHEN: DEC. 19 (TUES.) 8:00 P.M.
TV: ESPNU

The Tigers have won 4 straight, 7 of the last 8 and a perfect 6-0 at Mizzou Arena

Wins
Iowa State 74-59
Long Beach State 95-58
St. John's 90-82

Lost
@Utah 59-77
@West Virginia 79-83

SR:3
JR:6
SO:2
FR:4

Lots of size with 4 players 6-10 or taller.

F: #11 Jontay Porter 6-11; 240 #12 Nation (Rivals)
F: #23 Jeremiah Tilmon 6-10; 252 Top 50 recruit (ESPN)
F: #5 Mitchell Smith 6-10; 215 Arkansas POY
F: #14 Nikko Reed 6-10; 250

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
I'm wildly optimistic at the moment but this will be a tough game. Talented team with a lot of length & the benefit of SEC home refs. Going to be a challenge.
TallTexan
Also Cardiac Jacks is right.
cboothe09
I think this will be our toughest non-conference test. They have found their chemistry since losing Michael Porter Jr.
SFASawmillGuy
We just have to keep the intensity going. We have momentum but also their attention. They're gonna prepare for us like we're the real deal because, we now are the real deal. This is our clincher for a 12 seed and to keep us receiving votes in the polls. Now let's take care of business!
TallTexan
My general feeling is our team is 10 points better than LSU on our best day, 5 on a good day, on a neutral floor.

With Mizzou, I think we're about even on our very best day, maybe a 5 point underdog on a good day, on a Neutral floor.

I guess it comes down to whether the SEC continues to get their Refs from a Deliverance casting call or not. So far, they're 2 for 2.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I guess it comes down to whether the SEC continues to get their Refs from a Deliverance casting call or not. So far, they're 2 for 2.
ROFL!!!!!! That opening is still there at your local comedy club, Texan. Go for it!!
sfa17
JACKS going to AXE 2 tigers in just one week. Someone call PETA.

TallTexan
Got ahold of an advanced copy of Keller's gameplan for Tuesday. Keep it on the downlow so Mizzou doesn't hear about it.

nacluth
I've thought since earlier in the year that we match up well against their team positionally. However, I think they are a great high level team. It's going to be tough to shake their rhythm.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
They like to shoot from deep. Really can't let them get comfortable out there. Not necessarily a good team from deep either. They have good night's and bad night's, just like everyone that depends on the 3-ball.

Against North Florida they were 10-25. A better defense could have slowed them more I think...
cboothe09
Like many of our recent opponents, there are some comparable statistics. Scoring is similar 81.5 (SFA) - 80 (Mizzou); Points Allowed 67.6 (SFA) - 64.9 (Mizzou); FG% 48.1 (SFA) - 48.8 (Mizzou).

The biggest difference is rebounds, where Mizzou holds a 40-35 edge, while we again lead in steals 13-6.

As a team they are shooting 38.9% from behind the arc on 25 shots per game. Also a key stat with our team, is Mizzou shoots 70% from the free throw line. That will likely play a big role as the Tigers get to the free throw line an average of 21 times a game, making 15.

I think those are numbers that bode well for us, along with Mizzou turning the ball over an average of 14 times a game. I think our pressure defense could leave us in a good spot here. That said, we cannot let them get comfortable behind the arc...
PurpleOut
Staff
Going to extremely tough, more so than LSU. It's winnable,. but we'll need to be firing on all cylinders and need a better defensive effort. I think we were defensively better against LSU than the numbers show. They were great moving the ball and getting an open shot, ie hitting shots they really haven't been hitting.

Regardless of the outcome, we've gotten a huge shot in the arm heading into conference play. The confidence and team play will go a long way.

I said that 3 wins out of the last 5 would have been a success (in my opinion) because that meant winning one tough road game. We're 4-0.

fortWorthJack
It was difficult shaking Waters but we limited his touches in the first, he obviously heated up in the second half but we succeeded in limiting his play-making, which is just as valuable as causing turnovers in my opinion.

We need to take away the passing lanes against MIZZOU. Do not let them pass and get quality perimeter looks. We really can't get away from our defensive mindset. Obviously we have to remain hot on offense and move the ball. And whenever we do force the TO, we have to make MIZZOU pay for their mistakes.
SFAXE93
3 votes for SFA in latest Coaches poll ahead of Michigan, Oklahoma State, and Alabama.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Going to extremely tough, more so than LSU. It's winnable,. but we'll need to be firing on all cylinders and need a better defensive effort.
And so help me if any Mizzou players try any Three Stooges style funny business anywhere near Kevon's face. I'll call the French & give them back St Louis & maybe the whole dang state.
SFAJack_76
Speaking of Kevon, what is his status?
SFAXE93
I wonder who will be the star in this one, as it seems to be a different player stepping up each game.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
It's game day!!!! Love when these days roll around. The big game safari has been good so far, but that tiger meat didn't last long for such a hungry crew. It's time to take down another!
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I wonder who will be the star in this one, as it seems to be a different player stepping up each game.
Well, we're getting a shorter list of players who haven't stepped up & won a game, so I'm going with Gru. It's his time to shine!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Well, we're getting a shorter list of players who haven't stepped up & won a game, so I'm going with Gru. It's his time to shine!
Holding my breath on that one.... Choke... Cough...

(Poor Gru. I'm going to back off on ragging on that guy. He plays his heart out, but he hasn't quite reached the level of Olajuwon or Abdul-Jabbar just yet...)
INiedrauer
Staff
In a lot of ways it feels like playing with house money today but a win tonight would be so big anyhow. We're legitimately in the Top 25 conversation before this season is over if we find a way to pull it off.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

jboy93
I know this should be about Missouri, but how in the heck do we have Arlington Baptist on Thursday? Is that all we could get scheduled before the Christmas break? This might be the game that Jovan shines in. Sorry and now back to Missouri. Cant have the droughts in scoring to win this game, if we don't I really think we can take this one too! Go JACKS!!!
INiedrauer
Staff
Probably, yes. Same reason the women played that disaster of a team today. It's really hard to book games around Christmas.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Currently 12 for SFA and 5 against over on the straight up pick em. You are a crazy bunch of fans, but you're my kind of people.
Raskolnikov
Longtime MU Tiger fan here. I am looking forward to facing you guys and I hope our guys take you as seriously as I do. Regarding the last high pressure team we faced UVW, you should know we led that at one point by 16 and the loss stung. They had a sr guard who had 3 take-aways and 6 points in no time that led to that win. We have gotten better since then. Guys you want to note are Jontay Porter who I often see as the best player on the floor. He is 6'11 but can move literally like a guard and has awesome timing on blocks. THREE of his siblings play for Missouri right now. SKILLED as all get all get. He and Jeremiah Tilmon at center - thrilled both are Tigers. We had six players in double figures last game. So the scoring can come from anywhere. Yes and if we hit threes, Good Night Irene. Glad to have you guys in Columbia. Your Defense is scary.
PurpleOut
Staff
Raskolnikov said:

Longtime MU Tiger fan here. I am looking forward to facing you guys and I hope our guys take you as seriously as I do. Regarding the last high pressure team we faced UVW, you should know we led that at one point by 16 and the loss stung. They had a sr guard who had 3 take-aways and 6 points in no time that led to that win. We have gotten better since then. Guys you want to note are Jontay Porter who I often see as the best player on the floor. He is 6'11 but can move literally like a guard and has awesome timing on blocks. THREE of his siblings play for Missouri right now. SKILLED as all get all get. He and Jeremiah Tilmon at center - thrilled both are Tigers. We had six players in double figures last game. So the scoring can come from anywhere. Yes and if we hit threes, Good Night Irene. Glad to have you guys in Columbia. Your Defense is scary.
Thanks for stopping by and for the comments.

I actually live in Seattle, so very familiar with the Porter family. Was actually excited about playing against Michael, sucks he is out. Jontay has been very impressive this year.

Will be an extremely difficult task for us tonight.
sfaguy
Raskolnikov said:

Glad you're here. I'll be rooting wildly for you guys the rest of the season but not tonight. Rationally, I don't think we have it in us after that absolutely bat **** game on Saturday but sports fans are never rational.
INiedrauer
Staff
Welcome aboard. As you may see tonight, our half court offense has been a bit of a work in progress this season. We looked way improved against LSU but I think Nacogdoches High could probably score on them. Your defense is what scares me. I'm not sure we have the outside shooting to open it up.

Hopeful but realistic.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

LumberLane
Mizzou fan here. Good luck on the rest of the season. I copied a couple links to local articles about our game tonight. If you win it won't be under the radar.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/sfa-s-keller-on-mizzou-s-edge-the-antlers-and/article_966ba5e0-042b-54ab-a518-385a7be6593c.html

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/lumberjacks-coach-grateful-to-be-at-mizzou-on-borrowed-time/article_8cd82825-a411-5382-af9d-72a8dd28b38d.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article190341844.html

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20171218/missouri-vs-stephen-f-austin-at-glance
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Same reason the women played that disaster of a team today.
Noticed that Central Christian was 0 for 18 from long range today. That's quite an accomplishment.
djsfw57
LumberLane said:

Mizzou fan here. Good luck on the rest of the season. I copied a couple links to local articles about our game tonight. If you win it won't be under the radar.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/sfa-s-keller-on-mizzou-s-edge-the-antlers-and/article_966ba5e0-042b-54ab-a518-385a7be6593c.html

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/lumberjacks-coach-grateful-to-be-at-mizzou-on-borrowed-time/article_8cd82825-a411-5382-af9d-72a8dd28b38d.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article190341844.html

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20171218/missouri-vs-stephen-f-austin-at-glance
Thanks for those links!
djsfw57
Sitting here watching the LSU game again for the 5th or 6th time. Just getting primed for tonight. I'm nervous as hell but very excited to see how things play out. One thing I know is our guys will not be intimidated tonight. Hope they are on fire!
nacluth
I've been expecting that as the game draws closer that I would resign myself to the fact that Mizzou is just too good of a team. But actually, as we get close to tip-off, I'm getting more confident that we really are a good team. I think we might pull this off. These kids are winners, and they believe. Bad combo for Missouri.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I've been expecting that as the game draws closer that I would resign myself to the fact that Mizzou is just too good of a team. But actually, as we get close to tip-off, I'm getting more confident that we really are a good team. I think we might pull this off. These kids are winners, and they believe. Bad combo for Missouri.
I like your positive enthusiasm, Ryan. But I think the Jacks are still about five weeks away from reaching their full potential. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but IMO, having consecutive road games against SEC teams inside their hostile environs may just be too much to overcome for a team that's only about 75% of what I believe it eventually will become.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.