2018 Pomeroy MBB Ratings

22,518 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bracketology update:
#13 SFA vs. #4 TCU (San Diego Regional) - I like the location. Seems like we have played a good game there before if I remember correctly.

Other interesting matchups:
#8 Minnesota vs. #9 Missouri
#12 UT-Arlington vs. #5 Arizona

SFASawmillGuy
So we can assume we're getting that 12 seed after UT-Arlington loses in their conference tournament
cboothe09
SFA_03 said:

So we can assume we're getting that 12 seed after UT-Arlington loses in their conference tournament
It's funny you say that...Bracketology update from NBCSports...

#12 SFA vs. #5 Arizona

Other interesting matchups according to NBC:
#8 Louisville vs. #9 Missouri
#5 Texas Tech vs. #12 UT-Arlington
sfa17
kenpom
SFA up to #122 LSU #90 la Tech #118
RPI
SFA 58 LSU #135 la Tech #133

WE need LSU and LaTech to get there stuff together
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA edges up another couple of spots to #120 in the Kenpom, through games of December 23.

Other SLC: Lamar #196, UCA #222, ACU #243, UNO #252, SELA #253, UIW #264, Prison Tech #271, TAMCC #280, HBU #281, Nicholls #285, NSU #317, McNeese #330.

Other notables: Missouri #54, Mississippi State #67, LSU #82, Louisiana Tech #110.
BigJack85
I believe the RPI ratings are the most important. The way I calculated it in 2016 was a total of 11 mid-majors with lower RPI's than us. That should have translated into a 13 seed. I believe we ended up a 14 seed. Let's hope we are a little better than that. 11 - 13......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
16 and 11 are bad seeds. 12 & 13 are what we're hoping for.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I believe the RPI ratings are the most important. The way I calculated it in 2016 was a total of 11 mid-majors with lower RPI's than us. That should have translated into a 13 seed. I believe we ended up a 14 seed. Let's hope we are a little better than that. 11 - 13......
IMO, the RPI is important at the end of the year (but only if a team gets into the Big Dance, which is always a concern for us because of the dadgum SLC conference tournament) but is just fantasy BB before then.

On the other hand, the Kenpom provides a pretty good look, statistically at least, at where we stand vs. all other D-1 teams across the country at any point in time. The Kenpom goes beyond the 30 or so teams that get votes in the weekly polls. But I agree that both the Kenpom and the RPI are fun to follow for us SFA hoops junkies.
sfa17
SFA receiving 1 AP vote

Kenpom Bracket

https://imgur.com/a/O4K59

15.SFA vs 2 UNC

an sfa win could create a showdown against Houston(a team that lost to LSU)
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

SFA receiving 1 AP vote

One vote? So, 66% of our voters bailed on us after a one-point loss?? "With friends like these, who needs enemies?"
sfa17
i found who voted for us

John Feinstein has us at 25

twitter : jfeinsteinbooks

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/john-feinstein/2017/week-8

looks like he hold the 25th spot for mid major teams. last week he had Towson at 25

He also voted for us in Week 3

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks/2017
SFASawmillGuy
Let's send him a t-shirt.
PurpleForever
We'll start losing votes in the next few weeks as we begin our boring conference schedule. But voters love streaks so as we get closer to the end of conference I expect us to start getting votes again as long as we dominate as expected.
sfa17
Kenpom gave Stephen F. Austin, 79% chance of winning SLC (Other: Lamar, 17%)
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA at #10 in Cam Newton's Mid-Major Madness ranking.

nacluth
Somehow SFA held the #25 spot in the Midmajor Madness poll. Down to #12 is the more midmajor collegeinsider.com poll.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
We're #128 in KenPom this morning. For just some perspective on ranking bias in the Southland, we're 14-3. No team with a worse ranking has a better record. You have to go to #82 Louisiana Lafayette to find an equal record.
SFASawmillGuy
That SLU loss really hurt....
nacluth
Maybe so. It for sure hurt in the moment, but the four non-D1 games probably had the most negative impact on our overall SOS. Though one could contend that those non-D1 games helped refine the team to get ready for the run we had.
cboothe09
Anyone looking for a good laugh. Go check out Lunardi's latest update for Bracketology. New Orleans is the SLC rep as a #16 seed...
BigJack85
Jerry Palm has us as a #14 playing Xavier. Most of those guys (Lunardi included) focus solely on the top 8-10 conferences. The rest of the picks are complete hogwash.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Anyone looking for a good laugh. Go check out Lunardi's latest update for Bracketology. New Orleans is the SLC rep as a #16 seed...
LOL! Scratch off Lunardi as being any kind of legitimate source.
cboothe09
edstile said:

cboothe09 said:

I'm kind of shocked that he doesn't have Nicholls in the field. They actually have a .5 game lead over SFA, UNO, Sam, and SELA.

And this prediction was made this morning. You know, less than a week after SFA defeated UNO by 10...
nacluth
#10 CollegeInsider Poll
#23 Midmajor Madness Poll
cboothe09
cboothe09 said:

edstile said:

cboothe09 said:

I'm kind of shocked that he doesn't have Nicholls in the field. They actually have a .5 game lead over SFA, UNO, Sam, and SELA.

And this prediction was made this morning. You know, less than a week after SFA defeated UNO by 10...
Today's Bracketology update has Nicholls as a #16 seed facing Arkansas-Pine Bluff for the opportunity to face Purdue in Detroit...
PurpleOut
Staff
You can tell who doesn't actually do any homework in their projections, when they only put the current standings leader in for one-bid leagues.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

You can tell who doesn't actually do any homework in their projections, when they only put the current standings leader in for one-bid leagues.
So much for college basketball experts.
nacluth
KenPom #129. Have to go to C-USA's Old Dominion at 69 to find another 4 loss team.
cboothe09
PurpleOut said:

Haha...Today he has New Orleans playing North Carolina A&T in a play-in game. Winner gets #1 overall Villanova
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

PurpleOut said:

Haha...Today he has New Orleans playing North Carolina A&T in a play-in game. Winner gets #1 overall Villanova
Well, atleast this should take some heat off of us now that we're the dark horse candidate.

If we do get stuck with a 16 seed, let's make sure we call our own number & become the first one to ever get that upset. I think we'll get a better matchup though.
cboothe09
If we take care of business and get in, we will be between 13 and 15 seed depending on how we play this last month
SFASawmillGuy
No way we get higher than a 14 seed. For the people who actually decide our seeding, no SLC loss is a "good" or "quality loss". It's just a fact. They'll look at the fact it's one of the worst conferences in college basketball. That's why is avoiding loss in SLC play is so important. Because no one outside of SLC fans care if the other team shot 60% from the 3.
If we win out with nothing but quality wins though I think 14 seed may in reach. And we did pretty well last time we were a 14 seed.
sfa17
^We got a 12 seed with 1 SLC loss in 2014-2015 when we faced UTah. So 13 is possible if the other mid major schools drop out in conference tourney. But we can't lose any more games.
cboothe09
I think a 13 is a stretch, but doable if things bounce right. It isn't something we can earn by winning out and taking the conference tournament. Iit would be a situation where we would need some help from outside (Upsets in Mid-Major tournaments & Power schools avoiding upsets).

Either way, I'm good with a 14 seed, especially with how this season has run. Anything can happen and we are a very talented squad that has the ability to "play up" to whoever we are playing.
nacluth
If we finish 18-2 in conference, 29-4 overall, a 13 seed is almost a lock with a potential at a 12. We will be considered one of the best midmajor programs in the country despite our 2 conference losses. Everyone has conference losses. 4 conference losses could find us in 15-16 range, but our nonconference success is going to keep us out of a 16 seed in most situations (except fundamental breakdown).
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.