SFA / Howard Payne

12,558 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
HP shooting 69% from the field still.

Agree on Canete again. I don't know what Leon did to get benched last game, but the way Ivan is playing I wouldn't let him sit on the bench the rest of the game.
djsfw57
Has anyone been able to find the game on Facebook? When I click on the link it takes me to the SFA page, but no basketball anywhere that I can find.
BigJack85
I found it on Facebook and it's absolutely trash. I don't think Keller coaches. He just throws them out there and says play your position. Reminds me of Tom Penders.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RedRiverLa
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
That's accurate. And it's safe to say that the crowd does not feed off of his enthusiasm. Biggest cheer has been for the whataburger fry shell game.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
I will say I'm always impressed with this fan base. Yes, it's sparse in comparison today, but we're up by 53 points with 3 minutes to go and mostly everyone is still here
Lumberjack Battalion
INiedrauer
Staff
Up 53 points and you'd think we're losing by the comments here.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
Up 53 says more about who we are playing and not about us.

Tell me, what exactly did we learn today winning by 50+?
INiedrauer
Staff
I don't know if we learned anything but "Keller doesn't coach" certainly isn't what I got out of it.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
I'll agree with this, in reference to this game.

But I've seen enough over 1+ year to know he's got some growing to do as a coach in terms of "in game" adjustments.
SFASawmillGuy
Say what you will. This is the first game since Brad left I truly felt like we dominated. This was a huge win for us moving forward. Obviously turnovers are still bad for us. But we actually showed an ounce of offensive aggression. Which we will definitely need.
cboothe09
Won by 54 and put up 118 points and people are still nitpicking?
Do you get a colonoscopy after every poop because it wasn't satisfying enough? Gimme a break...
Nice win. Now the level of difficulty picks up and we can learn more about this team...
SFA Jack Fanatic
I was at the game, and I must have been watching a different one than the rest of you. Very good effort, particularly in the second half. Bogues was phenomenal. TJ took advantage of his height and was pretty good. Great to see Fisher finally get some minutes and points. No complaints on this one.
SFASawmillGuy
Also nearly 40 turnovers forced! That's unreal!
sfa17
Good win. Now we have some momentum going into the game against Mississippi state. Didnt get to watch But the stats looks good. Hoping we can keep TO under 20 against Mississippi
SFAJack_76
At the game also. Canete started bad and had a couple of WTH passes, but I thought he finished well and had a solid game. TJ was the best on the floor. Bogues was lights out. Comeaux showed promise. Aaron was okay. Nothing really good. Nothing really bad. Kevon was off from the last couple of games, but still sold. Fisher had flashes his second time in the game. Gilmore showed the high energy he showed at the end of last year. Heck of an athlete.

Offensive flow was good. Defense was adequate. Must do a better job of taking care of the ball. I thought Keller and staff did as good a job of making adjustments during the game as I saw all last season. Encouraged.
PurpleOut
Staff
The only negative comments I see here (including mine) were early in the first half, where it was a 7 point game at one time. Yeah it drastically changed in a hurry, but the effort level was alarming by several of the players to those of that were able to watch. Before the feed cut out. So saying there's nitpicking with a 54 point win is incorrect.

Did't get to see the rest, but again it obviously changed in a hurry. The stat lines are pretty crazy. I was trying to find the record for total turnovers in a game, but couldn't find it. 58 has to be close. I know WVU forced 40 turnovers in a game a few years ago.

26 assists by the team is a stat that shouldn't go unnoticed. That's a big difference from the first 3 games.

Oh yeah, and that Shannon Bogues guy is pretty good.
RedRiverLa
D3 teams don't have any atheletic scholarships. Not allowed by NCAA. So all D3 players are non-scholarship athletes, no exceptions. Their 'signing days" are either admission forms, financial aid forms, or the special NCAA D3 singing forms that just state they are a student athlete participating in the NCAA D3 level.
Lumberjack Battalion
BigJack85
INiedrauer said:

I don't know if we learned anything but "Keller doesn't coach" certainly isn't what I got out of it.

Not seeing the type of ball movement you'd expect against an outmanned team. Sure we should and did move the ball inside but that's no big feat against a team that rarely has someone over 6'5" on the floor.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RedRiverLa
Most of the comments are from the first half effort. As I said earlier, once Howard Payne wears out this will be a blowout that will mask some of the early problems we had going up against a fresh team. Our upcoming competition will not wear out. Im extremely familiar with D3 non scholarship teams as
my alma mater is now one. The fast start of the Ladyjacks is exactly what we should expect of the Lumberjacks and their athletic talent and level. Don't think the 53 margin has cured our problems. However, NSU does still suck, Jalen West is not a cure all.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Watched as much as I could through the replay feed. Second half looked pretty solid. Better than the LeTourneau game. Everyone kind of looked like basketball players. I know they sucked bad, but we looked all right. I think the transition to the Wednesday game is going to be huge, but here's what I know:

Miss St. will not be too big a game for Harris, Holyfield, and Bogues.

We can play a tough defense that will slow them down.

If we get our butts handed to us, it will be because of our own unforced turnovers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.