SFA / LeTourneau

14,692 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by No-look
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (2-0) vs. LeTourneau (2-0)

THUR/WRJ/NAC
TV ESPN3 7:00 P.M.

The Yellow jackets are averaging over 100 points a game.
nacluth
Hmm...just stopped one fast paced team. At least we have some time to rest before playing another one. Oh shoot.
sfa17
if we are going to face a d2 teams at least lets face the best they got and not complete cupcakes. bc either way we are going win.
MasterAxe
What do we get out of playing a D-III team?

Division II? Sure.

Surely we are paying LETU
PurpleOut
Staff
Can't sleep on LeTourneu, they can shoot. 204 points the last two games combined.
sfa17
They are good enough to beat northwestern. a d1 team in the mighty southland conference. A team that we lost to at home to last year (probably a different roster in 2017 idk) and cost us a fifth conference title, to be honest im just trying to put a good spin on a probably one sided beating. but like a boxing promoter "I have to sell the fight"
SFASawmillGuy
I'm not ready to have the kind of confidence I had with Underwood until we can string together a few games where it's "never in any doubt". I believe in Keller but I also believe that we are not to the point where we should overlook anyone yet.
nacluth
Exactly 03. We have to handle business every night.

At least LeTourneau played last night as well on their way to a 105 point outing against Austin College. So hopefully we'll win in the conditioning battle. What are we going to hold this team to? 80? 70? 60? 50?

Obviously I want a lopsided affair, but I just don't see (even after NWST) that they play better than St. Ed's.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I don't think NW St is nearly as good as we thought and Le Tourneau does something a lot of D3 schools do well..... play solid fundamentals and move the ball. I imagine our size advantage will quickly take over and late in the first half/early 2nd half we pull away and win by 25.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
fortWorthJack
I like our defensive efforts against St. Edwards. We can obviously improve in that regard and shut teams down. However, our ball movement looks forced and players haven't established their "space" yet. Passing is okay but not what it could be. The ball movement and play development are my largest concerns for this game. We have yet to show the technical prowess that this school has been known for. We are definitely improved from last year though.
corleycl
Am I the only one extremely concerned about the play of Canete? Seems like he's not playing well (same as he showed last year at times), but yet he seems to play most of the game. Hoping he pulls out of the funk and catches fire soon.
sfa17
i think canete is getting a lot of minutes bc he can play the point and bogues is a SG and we need a back up for Aaron. john is just getting used to the system.
nacluth
Oh me too. My guess is that Keller knows he needs another guard to help him to true success which means he needs to get Canete going. The difference between him pulling 5 points and 4 fouls a game and 11 points and 2 fouls a game may be the difference in if we make the tournament or not.

Last night his usage percentage was the highest of any player on the court which means that essentially when he was on the court 25% of plays depended on him...and he was struggling. Hopefully these fast paced games this week shakes off the rust.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
fortWorthJack
I think Canete will improve once the team as a whole gets better. We are relying heavily on 1v1 attack and dribble-drive play-making. Canete just isn't able to make his own scoring plays under the spotlight. On the other side of that, Kevon is excelling at creating his own opportunities. Once we shift to a more structured attack, Canete will get those high percentage shot opportunities.We are just having to make things work right now.
SFASawmillGuy
We need to find a consistent 3 point shooter. We don't have the size to make any kind of impact against real teams or in March unless we do.
We aren't out sizing anyone. We need to be able to flat out beat teams with aggressive, but consistent play.
Ivan is possibly that guy but he needs to get his butt in gear.
SFASawmillGuy
Also I miss the full court press on ever single possession we used to do. I think that really helped on our defensive dominance.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

We need to find a consistent 3 point shooter.
To me, that right there is our biggest weakness overall. That could be our Achilles heel on occasion. Good teams with size will cram the middle and shut down our inside game.
cboothe09
To be fair, we haven't had to shoot the three much this year. Teams are guarding the perimeter, giving us the lane. I think we have to shoot more next week...
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Also I miss the full court press on ever single possession we used to do. I think that really helped on our defensive dominance.
Me too. I think it gave us an advantage in conference play and then we had it mastered by tourney time every year. When most people hadn't seen a full court press like ours all year unless they played WVU, it was a plus.
SFASawmillGuy
Our identity was we frustrated teams, no matter how good they were, until we could outlast them. Now it seems like we just aren't an aggressive team.
fortWorthJack
Well guys the league changed rules since then too. The league is cracking down on aggressive defensive schemes. NCAA has safeguarded high profile schools by penalizing the "inside your shirt" defense that SFA played. Remember we fouled alot under Brad. Even Brad had to adjust to the the new league rules and drop into a zone at times. I am not saying we can't play defense aggressively, but sometimes you have to back off and adjust.
nacluth
Good point. Absolutely the only reason to take out the closely guarded rule was to protect Power 5 school's star guards from being embarrassed by mid-major average size players in the tournament.

Just a side note: the officiating in the UCA/UCLA was wide open compared to the SLC called games. The refs in the power divisions seem to have much quieter whistles than in our division.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFASawmillGuy
We fouled out but it was like strategic fouling. We were never really in trouble when one of our stars fouled out. Just had to adjust.
And offensively we drew so many fouls many times we were able to out depth the other team.
Aggression is very high risk and high reward. I guess I just miss the high reward part.
INiedrauer
Staff
SFA_03 said:

Unless you're talking about pre-Brad Underwood, SFA has always done more a half court press/trap. Keller does more denial stuff but it isn't that different now. I know there have been exceptions where they used to press all the way to the back court (VCU/Havoc style) but that was usually under special circumstances.
nacluth
I love being here!

Side note for PurpleOut: They just promoted the Varsity Club before the game.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFASawmillGuy
It feels weird to me that we had a game yesterday.
nacluth
LeTourneau looks small and they are going to live and die by the three. We are going to have a lot of good looks. Hopefully we make them.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Bogues stuntin' down the court.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
I don't think the Yellowjackets will make 100. They were almost making Grujic look good, but he can't catch a pass.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Canete just looks lazy sometimes.
RedRiverLa
Too many LeTurnovers.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Playing sloppy against a vastly inferior team. Hard for us to keep focus. Gru actually hit buckets, but cannot get a contested rebound. Just a meh half. Some people played good, some bad.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
LeTourneau is going to try to get shots up quick, and with a lot of long rebounds we're going to get running, which just makes it look sloppier. I'm more concerned that our turnovers are just fundamental travels. Without that we'd have close to 60 points right now, shooting 57%. Definitely more jump shots tonight, LETU is loading the paint and doubling down low.

Props to Grujic, definitely looks more aggressive and stronger with the ball (when he catches it). Still a liability to me on the other end of the court. He can't stay in front of anyone and easily loses his man.

Bogues is something else. His ball handling is fantastic. Is first basket where he split the double team and got the reverse layup, is as good as you'll see.
sfa17
Really Jovan
nacluth
Gilmore started, but hasn't played since then. Hope everything is all right.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.