Sawmill Basketball Prediction Contest?

5,929 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFAXE93
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I personally had a lot of fun doing the prediction contests last year where we picked winners and scores. I would be up for doing them again with a similar scoring model. I don't know if last years winner got paid out anything, but I would love to try to get some sponsored prizes to sweeten the pot.

Also, I would be up for running the contest as I know it's work over the course of the season.

Put in some feedback about if you want to do it again and if you liked the format.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Put in some feedback about if you want to do it again and if you liked the format.
I'd like to see a contest. Anything to add a little fun. What was the scoring model?
BigJack85
I'm in regardless
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Here's a copy of what we did last year:

This is a way to keep the season fun for us and hopefully we can get a fun prize for the winner at the end of the season. Don't worry for those just now joining, you still have plenty of time to climb the leaderboard!

If you have changed your username, please let me know so I will have your points correct.

It is a very simple contest, just copy and paste what I have below between the two lines and fill in your prediction including the tiebreaker. The tiebreaker will occasionally change so be aware and make sure to check it. In order to determine the winner I will take the difference between your prediction of the SFA points and their actual points. Then I will take the difference of your prediction of the opponents points and their actual points. I will then add them together and determine the outcome. If you choose the wrong winner, you will be assessed a penalty which will be the worst score of those that chose the right winner.

The closest prediction will receive 10 points and then so on (2nd gets 9, 3rd gets 8...). If you have a perfect prediction, you will receive an 8 points bonus! I will do my best to have the scores posted within the next day of the game but no guarantees.

The tiebreaker for this game is how by how many rebounds SFA wins or loses the overall margin by (i.e. -/+4). Good luck!

NSU at SFA prediction:

------------------------------

SFA: 83
NSU: 76

Tiebreaker: +7

-------------------------------

Predictions lock at the time of tip-off and any user that changes theirs after that will be disqualified.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Isaac, is there any conflict on your end if I get a donation from some company (like JackBackers) and we then call the contest the "JackBackers SFA pick 'em" or something like that? Don't want to step on any toes, but it might build interest in the game, get prizes, and maybe help build sponsorship for the site.

No pressure, feel free to give your honest feelings. Also I PM'd you about other stuff.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
I'd be up for a basketball pick em contest.
PurpleForever
Sounds good to me. I was running the one last year but I had some things come up and couldn't finish doing it. I had an excel sheet I made to do the calculations for me, I can try to find it and send it to whoever does it this year. It should be interesting to see what type of prizes we could get at the end of the year.
INiedrauer
Staff
nacluth said:

Isaac, is there any conflict on your end if I get a donation from some company (like JackBackers) and we then call the contest the "JackBackers SFA pick 'em" or something like that? Don't want to step on any toes, but it might build interest in the game, get prizes, and maybe help build sponsorship for the site.

No pressure, feel free to give your honest feelings. Also I PM'd you about other stuff.

I don't have any problem with that at all. Would love to get some local businesses interested in what all we do here.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
I think it would be good in general for more sponsor ideas and opportunities, but that's up to Isaac.

I worked with Jack Backers a lot when it was just my site. They sold our shirts a few years back.
SFAXE93

I'm in...
nacluth
I've always been a big fan of Global Thermonuclear War....
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I've always been a big fan of Global Thermonuclear War....
You've been sniffing too much of that guitar glue, Ryan. Open a window.
nacluth
You don't know how right you are Ed...
MasterAxe
I'm in
nacluth
If you do happen to find that excel file, I wouldn't mind having it to help it. My email is nacluth@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
For everyone else, I think we have a quorum to get this going. To everyone's dismay, I think I'm going to not do it for the non-D1 games, so we'll start with the Miss St game next Wednesday (the first post will be up a couple days before that). I'll work on getting a sponsor or two. If anyone on the forum wants to chip in cash or merchandise, let me know, and I'll give you all the props.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAXE93
Test run 93-75 SFA
nacluth
SFAXE93 said:

Test run 93-75 SFA

I'm assuming that's your prediction for the first round against Michigan State.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAXE93
93-75
89-66 final

not bad in my warm up
nacluth
You won big time. I'll give you a one point advantage over the field.
SFAXE93
93-75
91-68

its the pick that keeps on giving
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.