SFA Basketball Preseason Thread

18,628 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cboothe09
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just wanted to say, "It's November!!!!!"
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Anybody know how to get tickets to the Longwood game? Is there usually a visitor's section?
cboothe09
Not that rankings mean much, especially this time of year, but CollegeInsider has us receiving votes (69) in their preseason mid-major poll. That puts us #31 overall. Highest ranked Southland team. Lamar is also receiving votes (3).

Former conference foe UT-Arlington sits at #9.
INiedrauer
Staff
TallTexan said:

Anybody know how to get tickets to the Longwood game? Is there usually a visitor's section?

Their arena only sits 1800, so wherever you end up you'll be close to the visitor's section
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

TallTexan said:

Their arena only sits 1800, so wherever you end up you'll be close to the visitor's section
1800? Heck, we could almost make this our crowd with just a few SFA fans.
Txjack
TallTexan said:

INiedrauer said:

TallTexan said:

1800? Heck, we could almost make this our crowd with just a few SFA fans.
Wow, still larger than HBU's (1000), giggle, snort...
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Tickets through their AD are now on sale here. You have to create an account so I didn't get far. Could try calling their ticket office as well and see if they can get you a seat behind our bench. I've done that before.

Game will also be streamed on the Big South Network. Assuming it's a pay stream.

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Tickets through their AD are now on sale here. You have to create an account so I didn't get far. Could try calling their ticket office as well and see if they can get you a seat behind our bench. I've done that before.

Game will also be streamed on the Big South Network. Assuming it's a pay stream.

Awesome thanks. I created an account two days ago, but the tickets weren't posted yet for basketball. Got front row with seatbacks! Watch out Longwood!
TallTexan
Hey guys, something to think over. With the success of Last Chance U, Hard Knocks, ESPN 30 for 30, & Amazon's upcoming profile on Michigan football, I think we should get in the game with a Chasing Cinderella series on Amazon or Netflix of our basketball team.

It would be excellent marketing for the University, great for the basketball team, and put us on the map. Are we the most qualified mid major? Maybe not, but if we pursue it, we could make a great pitch. And if we're the first to pitch the idea, who knows, maybe we get lucky?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Hey guys, something to think over. With the success of Last Chance U, Hard Knocks, ESPN 30 for 30, & Amazon's upcoming profile on Michigan football, I think we should get in the game with a Chasing Cinderella series on Amazon or Netflix of our basketball team.

It would be excellent marketing for the University, great for the basketball team, and put us on the map. Are we the most qualified mid major? Maybe not, but if we pursue it, we could make a great pitch. And if we're the first to pitch the idea, who knows, maybe we get lucky?
Outstanding idea. What's the worse that could happen?
SFAXE93
Bold prediction of 18-0
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
ejasper12
I've raised Cam to believe no matter what. We never say "if" but "when"
There is no reason why the Jacks can't go 18-0 if they ALL including coaches having a winning mentality and they put the right pieces on the floo which they have this year. No business as usual!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Can't help but wonder why there's not a holiday tournament on our schedule this year. Perhaps because of our rather unimpressive '16-'17 season?
No-look
Is the other scrimmage game today? Hopefully they will play competitive ball and get ready for the opener.
nacluth
I just saw the ULM bus pull into the Coliseum, but it would seem to be odd to play the same team in a month.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
LancersBlog
What's up guys, I run a Longwood fansite (www.lancersblog.com).

Happy to answer any questions about the game or help out anyone coming to the game with info about gameday.

Saw someone mention the Big South Network. There is no paywall it's always free.

Looking forward to some basketball. Cheers!
nacluth
Nice Lancersblog! We'll definitely be watching. Hope this season is a strong move up from last year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
edstile said:

Can't help but wonder why there's not a holiday tournament on our schedule this year. Perhaps because of our rather unimpressive '16-'17 season?
Probably more to do with the amount of travel and effort to play those tournaments/games last year.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

I'm 50/50 on these shows and ideas. I love them as a sports fan, but not sure I'd love them as a fan of my team/school. Yeah it's a lot of exposure, but not always the exposure we want. A reason why a lot of coaches refuse to do shows like these (on all levels, i.e. Hard Knocks). Not just bad things on camera, but just letting everyone into the program. We would have to leave it up to the staff and the AD.

That said, I could easily pitch this at Amazon.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

I'm 50/50 on these shows and ideas. I love them as a sports fan, but not sure I'd love them as a fan of my team/school. Yeah it's a lot of exposure, but not always the exposure we want. A reason why a lot of coaches refuse to do shows like these (on all levels, i.e. Hard Knocks). Not just bad things on camera, but just letting everyone into the program. We would have to leave it up to the staff and the AD.

That said, I could easily pitch this at Amazon.
All good points indeed. However, I think for SFA, the benefits of exposure far outweigh the costs. Plus, Keller seems to be a great guy, posting about the athletes trick or treating with his kids or going to church. I think we'd hopefully be more family oriented like Duck Dynasty than Miami's 30 for 30 or Last Chance U.
TallTexan
LancersBlog said:

Happy to answer any questions about the game or help out anyone coming to the game with info about gameday.

Saw someone mention the Big South Network. There is no paywall it's always free.

Oh no, enemy off the bow, enemy off the bow, prepare the cannons.

Just kidding, mostly. How's parking? And is there anything in Farmville that's a must see?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

LancersBlog said:

Just kidding, mostly. How's parking? And is there anything in Farmville that's a must see?
Farmville?

Only kidding LancerBlog
LancersBlog
Haha don't worry, there isn't anything about Farmville we haven't heard before.

Parking is free and pretty easy to get to, here is a map: http://longwoodlancers.com/news/2015/12/30/MBB_1230151315.aspx?path=mbasket

If you're looking to grab a beer and sandwich before the game then head to MacAdo's. Also a new brewery in town just opened, Third Street Brewing Company.

Not much in terms of sites or things to do, unless you're into furniture shopping or hiking the High Bridge Trail, haha.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Something to look ahead to... In today's Houston Chronicle College Basketball National Preview, Missouri's 6'10" Michael Porter was picked as the preseason national Freshman of the Year. It indicates that he may be a one-and-done player at Missouri before grabbing the big NBA $$$. We'll see him up close and personal on December 19.

BTW, the Chronicle predicts the Final Four to be Arizona, Michigan State, Duke, and Wichita State.
aquavelvis
TallTexan said:

LancersBlog said:

We lived near Richmond 1998-2001, and traveled out to the Farmville area many times to sightsee. It's a nice town and near beautiful mountains. If you like this kind of thing, LOTS of antique stores.
Scott Taylor
cboothe09
Mississippi State hung 96 on directional Alabama. Mizzou looking solid against Iowa State without Porter (Injured I believe)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.