SFA Basketball Preseason Thread

18,603 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cboothe09
INiedrauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Since the comment sections on some of the articles are getting a little lengthy, I decided we could start a new preseason thread for discussion between now and Longwood. Nothing Lumberjacks/Ladyjacks basketball related is off topic.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

No-look
Well, who is the starting 5 as of now?
INiedrauer
Staff
No-look said:

This is 100% speculation and I think it'll change from game to game but right now for Longwood I'm going with:

1: Cameron Mack
2: Ivan Canete
3: Kevon Harris
4: TJ Holyfield
5: Samuli Nieminen

I feel like Shannon Bogues will probably crack the starting lineup a few times. Leon Gilmore too. And when Ty Charles comes back....who knows? It'll be fun to watch.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

No-look said:

This is 100% speculation and I think it'll change from game to game but right now for Longwood I'm going with:

1: Cameron Mack
2: Ivan Canete
3: Kevon Harris
4: TJ Holyfield
5: Samuli Nieminen

I feel like Shannon Bogues will probably crack the starting lineup a few times. Leon Gilmore too. And when Ty Charles comes back....who knows? It'll be fun to watch.
Interesting that you put Sammie in there. If Gilmore is in shape (perhaps a big if at this point), I don't see how he wouldn't start. But Sammie is certainly a good option. He looked great in his few healthy games last year, with very good body control, and his shots around the basket remind me of Tom Walkup's.
INiedrauer
Staff
I don't think Leon is terribly out of shape. He's actually doing boot camp and practice at the same time. I don't think even Dick Beardsley would handle that without looking a bit gassed.

But... Leon isn't a 5 and I think TJ plays better at the 4. Like I said, just speculating but that's where I'm leaning.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

No-look
INiedrauer said:

I don't think Leon is terribly out of shape. He's actually doing boot camp and practice at the same time. I don't think even Dick Beardsley would handle that without looking a bit gassed.

But... Leon isn't a 5 and I think TJ plays better at the 4. Like I said, just speculating but that's where I'm leaning.
Any predictions who could be the leading scorer?
INiedrauer
Staff
No-look said:

INiedrauer said:

Any predictions who could be the leading scorer?

No question, TJ. If he's healthy, I bet he's a 14-15 ppg player.

By the way, I could see Leon starting at the 3 at times too. Keller likes to say he plays like a "big guard."
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
So Cameron has topped Aaron at point you think?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Will surprise me if Bogues doesn't light it up this year. Scoring machine in Juco. Maybe that will translate to D1.
INiedrauer
Staff
nacluth said:

So Cameron has topped Aaron at point you think?

Uhhh too small of a sample size for me to say that but the potential is certainly greater imho.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

sfa17
It would be great to see what T.J could do at the 4, but I think he will stay at the 5. Size and height wise samuli seems better at the 4. I think Keller might play it safe and start Aaron unless Mack has been lighting it up at practice or something.
nacluth
Yeah, I thought Cam seemed like a more natural top level point at least from the limited things I've seen or read. Aaron showed flashes last year especially in the speed department, but I thought his command in decision making needed a fair amount of refining considering his low fg pct. I'm hoping he's improved a lot. It's tough for any freshman to be a floor general, but on paper and by first reports Mack seems like a great addition to the team.

Trey is my all time favorite Jack, but I do long for the day of a triple threat pg (speed, size, and shooting).
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
In his very limited play last year as a freshman, Samuli was the only player on the team that I thought had pro level potential. I don't think he's the best player on the team, but I think his upside is huge.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Having this much depth will be tremendous when/if everyone comes back healthy. You can almost list 2 entire starting 5s.

Having multiple guys that can log good minutes at almost every position will wear down pretty much everyone.

Kevon can be a star in this league, but I like him as the first person off the bench, like Geffrard did. That's instant production in all facets of the game. Very interested to see what Keller does. Also want to say that I don't think it will be fair to judge the starting 5 or the entire team for at least another few months.

nacluth
I keep thinking about how great our new guys can contribute and finish out this team. However, every guy on our team that's returning showed skills last year. Starting with Holyfield, then Canete, then Harris, then Gilmore, with Charles in a lesser amount all showed that they could dominate in a game. Put guys on their back and work. But, it seemed like no two guys could do it together except in rare moments. Also, they couldn't do it in back to back games. We had the talent to win the league last year - just not the consistency. I will take our players from last year with consistency to win the conference - anything extra is a huge bonus.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
PurpleOut said:

Having this much depth will be tremendous when/if everyone comes back healthy. You can almost list 2 entire starting 5s.

Having multiple guys that can log good minutes at almost every position will wear down pretty much everyone.

Kevon can be a star in this league, but I like him as the first person off the bench, like Geffrard did. That's instant production in all facets of the game. Very interested to see what Keller does. Also want to say that I don't think it will be fair to judge the starting 5 or the entire team for at least another few months.

I like Kevon off the bench with Ty starting. Between now and then I think if he isn't starting I'd want to see him with more minutes than whoever is. We'll see tho.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Thanks for reminding me about Clide Geffrard. He was the best sixth man SFA has ever had, IMO. If Kevon can duplicate that, no one in this league can stop us.
TallTexan
Hey Isaac, seeing some schools like Baylor/U of H, Tulane/LSU getting together hurricane relief scrimmages.

Anyone in the SFA athletic department putting something like this together? It'd be cool to see us take on UT or A&M for an exhibition match.
No-look
Will there be an exhibition or warm up game before the season starts?
INiedrauer
Staff
Yes. They're scrimmaging with a couple teams but it is closed to the public and media. NCAA rules and all. Will get lucky to have any scoop on what happens.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

CLHawkins
sfa17
We cant even get a home scrimmage jk
SFAXE93
https://kenpom.com/

SFA #150 out of 351 division one teams.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Ol Coach Underwood starts at #104. Who finishes higher?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
150 is a really good start.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CLHawkins said:

The UH scrimmage should tell us right away how we compare to one of the big boys. The Cougars beat #24 Baylor 81-78 in a scrimmage in Waco yesterday.
sfa17
Kansas defeated Missouri 93-87 in a exhibition.

Box Score

PurpleOut
Staff
Missouri led for a lot of it, and looked good doing so. Very athletic, will be our toughest match up.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Missouri led for a lot of it, and looked good doing so. Very athletic, will be our toughest match up.

I think you underestimate how tough it'll be when we face North Carolina in the championship game.
sfa17
PurpleOut said:

Our biggest and only advantage that we will posses against Missouri is our experience. our guys know each other and what Keller wants. Missouri have 4 extremely talent freshmen (but still freshmen) playing 20 plus minutes
No-look
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

I think you underestimate how tough it'll be when we face North Carolina in the championship game.
He clearly overlooked that.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Longwood was picked to finish 9th in the 10-team Big South Conference at the league's media day last week. This is commentary provided by NCAA Hoops Digest:

9. Longwood
This pick has the biggest potential and, I would argue, likelihood to look very different at the end of the year. As referenced earlier, the Lancers closed last year with just six available players. One of those six, forward Khris Lane, has transferred east to VCU to close his collegiate career. Jayson Gee's club will dress 17 men this year, though, which is quite the welcome departure from the injury-riddled campaign of last year. Athleticism abounds on the Lancer roster, with guards Walton and Juan Munoz joining Mount St. Mary's transfers B.K. Ashe and Charles Glover. Forward Jahleem Montague returns from injury, joining sophomore small forward JaShaun Smith, veteran Damarion Geter, Lamar transfer Boaz Williams and returner Chris Shields in the frontcourt.

Keep an eye on: The entire team. Gee has never been afforded the luxury of playing with a full complement of players in his time at Longwood, and it will probably take a little time to see how the group gels together. The assortment of talent certainly has the capability to significantly outperform this ranking.

Coach Gee says: "I just sent this (a photo of the preseason rankings) to our team, (and said) that this is the way they think of you. That's gonna change. [] Being where we're at is not where we're gonna finish. I've made those proclamations, and my whole mentality now (is) it's time. It's time to take that next step. [] I've got 17 guys that feel the same way. I made sure they felt the same way with what I just sent them."
No-look
Wonder how the Jacks did yesterday at the closed scrimmage?
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

I like the sound of that. Noticed that Brandon Rachal, who we recruited hard, had 2 points for LSU.

And I'd also like to know how SFA did against UH on Saturday.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.